February 9, 201511 yr comment_558918 Today well I was collecting Java fern plantlets I found a egg pouch its clear with about five brown eggs in it it can't be snail eggs as my puffer ate all of the snails in that tank a long time ago I hav black neon tetars kuli louches and Albanio Corys in their (as well as the puffer) Report
February 9, 201511 yr comment_558947 Today well I was collecting Java fern plantlets I found a egg pouch its clear with about five brown eggs in it Sounds like snail eggs. it can't be snail eggs as my puffer ate all of the snails in that tank a long time ago Apparently not. I hav black neon tetars They lay them scattered around on leaves and surfaces, but not in sacks. kuli louches Rare in aquariums, apparently lay eggs under the substrate and Albanio Corys in their Laid scattered on surfaces randomly (as well as the puffer) Apparently lay their eggs scattered on leaves. So...If your description of them is accurate, the only likely source is snails. Also, get a camera. Report
February 9, 201511 yr comment_558961 Would say snail eggs also Are you aware that if that puffer remains in the tank, it'll likely kill almost all of the other inhabitants? Report
February 10, 201511 yr Author comment_558964 That puffer has been in their for mouths without even chaseing another fish he's a dawf puffer Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558966 Still, I'd be willing to put money on it that it will start killing them off one day. What kind of puffer is it? Report
February 10, 201511 yr Author comment_558967 If you read my full post you're sure to see it says its a dawf puffer Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558968 If you read my full post you're sure to see it says its a dawn puffer You shouldn't be rude to people who are trying to assist you. Your response should have been 'it's a dwarf puffer'. The dwarf puffer will, one night, start killing off your fish one by one. Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558971 If you read my full post you're sure to see it says its a dawf puffer As Adrienne said, it can and will start killing the rest of your fish, I'm afraid. There's a very good reason why they are recommended for species-only tanks. Report
February 10, 201511 yr Author comment_558973 Why did you quote that also I wasn't trying to be rude and my tetras actually bully him a bit Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558974 Because people try to help you and you seem not to listen to their well meaning advice, could only assume you were young or ... Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558977 If the tetras pick on it, it's actually quite possible it's sick. It's very unusual for a puffer to be the one being picked on. If you haven't already, it may be worth putting a picture up so that we can make sure it's healthy. A lot of puffers come in with worms (due to being wild-caught) and need de-worming - I personally recommend Praziquantel for this. My rule is Convex, not Concave - if its abdomen is facing inwards at all it's quite possibly a sign of internal parasites. They are also highly sensitive to water quality, so any issues with the water can quickly cause sickness. I assume you are feeding him live/frozen foods daily rather than prepared foods? It is also IMO well worth keeping snails as a part of their staple diet. Report
February 10, 201511 yr Author comment_558979 First of all I got him from another fish keeper who was keeping him in a committy tank and I had tons of snails but he cleared them out Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558980 You could put a green terror in there and see who wins. There is little point in posting on here if you are going to ignore all the good advice given by more experienced people than you. If you know better than them there would be no need to ask questions on here. Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558981 A lot of fish won't start harassing others/show their true behavior until they're are a bit older. Just because you have had it in a community until now, and so has someone else DOES NOT mean that it will stay that way. Good examples are the Chinese algae eater and Black Ghost Knife. Being your age, I know you'll ignore all this advice, but I suggest you at least read up extensively about dwarf puffers and then make your own decision. "Aggressive." "Best kept alone or with smaller fast tank mates." "Otos are OK, slow moving fish will be nipped." "Not recommended for a community." Report
February 10, 201511 yr Author comment_558983 I didn't want all this about the puffer I just wanted to know about the eggs and the second the puffer attacks another fish it will go in the floating cage in there and will get a new home (if it does) sure most puffers are aggressive but a few aren't just like with fighters Report
February 10, 201511 yr comment_558986 I'm afraid that's not how it works with puffers. You will also quickly find a puffer in a floating trap will become stressed and sick. This is for two important reasons: - it is open and they require hiding places. Floating cages are stressful for most fish, especially puffers. - puffers are highly intelligent and easily bored. It will struggle to live in a small empty space for even a short amount of time. I have had extremely sick (on their death beds) puffers in traps before (mostly for feeding when lethargic) - they regularly just jumped back out of the trap, even when eg having not eaten for weeks and being "skin and bone". Putting a puffer in a floating trap for any extended period of time is probably the most stressful thing you could expose it to. Report
February 11, 201511 yr Author comment_558987 It would be in there for a week at most and I would put plants in to it it also has a lid Report
February 11, 201511 yr comment_558994 Imo you should rehome the puffer as it will attack the other fish sooner or later. Report
February 11, 201511 yr comment_558995 I think he doesn't want to talk about his Puffer in this thread :sage: How about a picture of the eggs? Report
February 11, 201511 yr Author comment_558996 I just found that fungi grew all over them and killed them Report
February 11, 201511 yr comment_559000 I'm starting to see a trend with your threads. You ask a question about something you see, but not provide any pictures to go with it. You get given multiple answers from very experienced people who only want to help you get the best out of this hobby, which you ignore. When someone asks for a photo to help clarify your question, you give an excuse and suddenly you don't want to know anymore. :-? Report
February 11, 201511 yr Author comment_559004 Well no matter what I try I can't seem to get pics on the post Report
February 12, 201511 yr comment_559057 You are welcome to email pics to me and I will post them on your behalf. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.