Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.
We’ve recently updated Aquarium World! We’re working through a few bugs, with exciting new features on the way. Thanks for your patience while we fine-tune the site.

SanityChelle

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Reputation Activity

  1. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from JJWooble in Betta-scaping - do you or don't you   
    I love to scape my fighter tanks. I find they naturally interact with the environments so much better, sitting on plants, pushing their way through if they're after something.
    Below is a 20l Chi, a 30l Leo (was used and scaped for fighters up until recently, either a single male or a female sorority at one point ), and a 60l sorority with mollies and swordtails. All have lids even with plants sticking out the top.
    I have had breeding tanks in the past, and tended to have them pretty bare, save somewhere for the girls to rest like a small terracotta pot etc.



  2. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from gligor in Betta-scaping - do you or don't you   
    They're definitely in the tank. From left to right there's a spiderplant, a plant that I've completely forgotten the name of, a decent bit of pothos (which is a wonder nitrate eater!), and a type of palm in a pot sitting inside the tank.
  3. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from gligor in Betta-scaping - do you or don't you   
    I love to scape my fighter tanks. I find they naturally interact with the environments so much better, sitting on plants, pushing their way through if they're after something.
    Below is a 20l Chi, a 30l Leo (was used and scaped for fighters up until recently, either a single male or a female sorority at one point ), and a 60l sorority with mollies and swordtails. All have lids even with plants sticking out the top.
    I have had breeding tanks in the past, and tended to have them pretty bare, save somewhere for the girls to rest like a small terracotta pot etc.



  4. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from zombieworm in Betta-scaping - do you or don't you   
    Thanks so much! I love scaping, it's like mini gardens.
    I don't really like stem plants, I find you end up spending way too much time trimming and replanting. Short plants I use are anubias, Java fern (both of those attached to rocks or wood), different types of crypts, and mini chain swords.
  5. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from blazin79 in Betta-scaping - do you or don't you   
    I love to scape my fighter tanks. I find they naturally interact with the environments so much better, sitting on plants, pushing their way through if they're after something.
    Below is a 20l Chi, a 30l Leo (was used and scaped for fighters up until recently, either a single male or a female sorority at one point ), and a 60l sorority with mollies and swordtails. All have lids even with plants sticking out the top.
    I have had breeding tanks in the past, and tended to have them pretty bare, save somewhere for the girls to rest like a small terracotta pot etc.



  6. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from zombieworm in Betta-scaping - do you or don't you   
    I love to scape my fighter tanks. I find they naturally interact with the environments so much better, sitting on plants, pushing their way through if they're after something.
    Below is a 20l Chi, a 30l Leo (was used and scaped for fighters up until recently, either a single male or a female sorority at one point ), and a 60l sorority with mollies and swordtails. All have lids even with plants sticking out the top.
    I have had breeding tanks in the past, and tended to have them pretty bare, save somewhere for the girls to rest like a small terracotta pot etc.



  7. Like
    Thanks Shilo. I think I'm still going to go with the cloudy ammonia to check on whether it is in fact cycled, as from what you said the detergent levels are next to none, and I was planning on doing a staggered introduction anyhow, but species by species instead of specimen by specimen. I do think that 'artificially' cycling it is probably a lot less messy then using fish food, and quite honestly, even though I'm putting zebra danios in there, I'd rather be on the safe side and cycle before hand. I my opinion (and hey I could be wrong) exposing fish unnecessarily to toxins like ammonia is not good, as it might not kill them but certainly make them more stressed and more susceptible to disease. It many be a different story in a breeding operation where there are just too many tanks for it to be a plausible option, but this is my only tank and I have the time and the will to spend on it and do it this way. 
    I also think that not doing a fishless cycle could be a scam by stores. If they don't tell you and your fish die, of course you are likely to come back and by another one, generating extra revenue. Despite this, some of the products that claim to help cycle are also a complete rip off. (unfortunately I know from experience as I used these when I trying to cycle a small tank a few months ago) 
  8. Like
    SanityChelle reacted to Shilo in Need Help With Weird Cycling Levels!!!   
    Drat, now have to clean the blood stains of the brick wall from banging my head.
    "You can actually add all the fish at once if you do enough water changes and I will bet a dollar to a proverbial that the fish will be better off than swimming in detergent regardless of the concentration"  Which is why it is called a FISHLESS cycle - there is no fish to swim in it.  Water changes are still done when using ammonia and the speed of setting up the tank is the same fishless or with fish.  Only seeding with matured media speeds things up (which I think the OP has done, thus 2 weeks instead of 2 months).
    Apart from pointing out a con of fish addition to cycle I have not said fishless cycling using ammonia is the best way.  It all depends on the individuals requirements and tank set up, planned fish what is best for them.  
    But the OP was not asking for advice on the best way to cycle, she was wanting advise on whether or not her tank has cycled.  I just advised a way for her to do that (checking with an ammonia dose), your advice to her is?
     
  9. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from kiwiraka in Who is preparing for Christmas?   
    Though it's our first Christmas in Christchurch, I've been ordered back to the northern motherland for the actual event, so I have to fly to Auckland on the 19th, before driving up to Whangarei. Nothing like a beachside Christmas. Most of the members of my family are adults, so we've ditched the presents idea and just concentrating on food and company. Though my sister is coming over from Aus and bringing her brand new twins over, so I figured I would at least buy them presents, only to make sure they're dressed correctly for the rugby.

     

  10. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from Adrienne in Who is preparing for Christmas?   
    Though it's our first Christmas in Christchurch, I've been ordered back to the northern motherland for the actual event, so I have to fly to Auckland on the 19th, before driving up to Whangarei. Nothing like a beachside Christmas. Most of the members of my family are adults, so we've ditched the presents idea and just concentrating on food and company. Though my sister is coming over from Aus and bringing her brand new twins over, so I figured I would at least buy them presents, only to make sure they're dressed correctly for the rugby.

     

  11. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from Adrienne in Who is preparing for Christmas?   
    Just figured I'd add this little picture I did for the Facebook group last year.

  12. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from Devrens in Sorority in a 10 Gallon Long?   
    I have a sorority of fighters in a 30L tank (5 currently, but I have had a max of 8 in the space). It has a good footprint and lots of planting to break the space up. There's always going to be a little chasing for the first few days, but they'll settle in eventually, and if they don't, you may just have one that's over aggressive. It's good to have a back up space if one of the girls has a bad temper. 
  13. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from Silverdollarboy2 in Chelle's Tanks   
    Marble boys

     
    My girls
     
     
  14. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from kiwiraka in Chelle's Tanks   
    Marble boys

     
    My girls
     
     
  15. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from Colour_genes in Chelle's Tanks   
    I'm feeling like I'm finally properly set up down here in Christchurch now. I've got two small fighter display tanks inside, and two garage set ups for all the extra fun stuff. At the moment, it's just plant grow out, but I'll be breeding fighters once the 60l is cycled.
     
    30l Fighter Sorority Display 

     
    20l Male Fighter Display 

     
    3 Bay Garage Set-up (45l per bay)

     
    60l Garage Grow-out Tank 

  16. Like
    SanityChelle got a reaction from Colour_genes in Chelle's Tanks   
    Marble boys

     
    My girls
     
     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.