Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Automatic fly spray in rooms with fish tanks...

Featured Replies

Hey All,

Does anyone here use the fly sprays that you sit up high, and they spray from a large canister, automatically, getting rid of flies?

We have a huge amount of flies this year, for some reason, you could count 50 in the lounge alone.

I have heard that you are not ment to use them due to fish tanks being around.

Does anyone use them, and have a fish tank in the same room? Any problems?

I Would have to agree with alanmin about not wanting to live in a cloud of insecticide vapour.

Personally I dont even spray fly spray around my fish tanks, the risk is to great, and I am happier ignoring them or killing them with a fly swat.

My flatmate bought one once, it says EXTREMELY toxic to all aquatic life, remove all fishtanks from the room before spraying. I didnt take the chance, and have too many tanks to move. Instead i got a 5 dollar electric fly swat which is awesome fun and just tap them into a tank and most fish love them. Up to my third zapper now !

Like I said, never had any issues from using one .

Have been for 2 years now.

You can be paranoid if you like, but it hasn't done anything to any of my fish and I have 3 tanks in the living room where the spray is located.

the mortein one I bought has no warnings about fish or any other pets.

:nilly:

Good old permethrin - sounds much more cuddly than it's full name, 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1RS)-cis,trans-3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) -2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate.

"Permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic life in general, so extreme care must be taken when using products containing permethrin near water sources."

"Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors. Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells due to inhalation exposure is suspected, due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased pre-neoplastic lesions raises concern over oral exposure."

I do not use them but a lot would depend on how well covered your tanks are too. I spray, when I have to, everywhere but the end of the room where the tank is. My tank has a solid wood lid though so I would probably be able to spray over it with no problems.

Personally I found Mortein useless and prefer Raid :wink:

we have had many customers reporting fish losses without causes. asked about fly sprays and when they have stopped using these auto units, have stopped losing fish. as a test, started using again only to loose more fish.

i certainly wouldnt use one.

Good old permethrin - sounds much more cuddly than it's full name, 3-Phenoxybenzyl (1RS)-cis,trans-3-(2,2-dichlorovinyl) -2,2-dimethylcyclopropanecarboxylate.

"Permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and aquatic life in general, so extreme care must be taken when using products containing permethrin near water sources."

"Permethrin does not present any notable genotoxicity or immunotoxicity in humans and farm animals, but is classified by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as a likely human carcinogen, based on reproducible studies in which mice fed permethrin developed liver and lung tumors. Carcinogenic action in nasal mucosal cells due to inhalation exposure is suspected, due to observed genotoxicity in human tissue samples, and in rat livers the evidence of increased pre-neoplastic lesions raises concern over oral exposure."

what brand uses that? the stuff we have has pyrethrin ingredients.

I haven't had any issues with ours.

Yep, I just had a look at a can of Raid which has three active ingredients, and they are all pyrethoids:

Tetramethrin (1,3-dioxo-4,5,6,7-tetrahydroisoindol-2-yl)methyl-2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)cyclopropane-1-carboxylate

Phenothrin (3-Phenoxyphenyl)methyl 2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)cyclopropane-1-carboxylate

Allethrin (1R-(1α(S*),3β))-(2-methyl-4-oxo-3-prop-2-enylcyclopent-2-en-1-yl)-2,2-dimethyl-3-(2-methylprop-1-enyl)cyclopropane-1-carboxylate

In testing, the LC50 (concentration that killed half the test subjects) for Allethrin ranged from 2.6 ppb for bioallethrin in coho salmon to 80 ppb for s-bioallethrin in fathead minnows. That's parts per billion.

My sister used one of those "natural" ones and it was responsible for the death of her expensive bird.

I won't risk it plus flys are not much of a problem at my house.

  • 2 weeks later...

On a side note to this but still on topic (kinda)

I have found a few ants enjoying the top of one of my tanks in my fish room.

Is that Raid ant bait safe to use around tanks? Mainly thinking after an ant comes in contact and it falling into a tank and either being eatn or contaminating the water?

Any thoughts?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.