i got a custom tank made an its the wrong size!?

dattofish

The longer you leave it the more chance of it not getting sorted aswell dude, just keep on their case everyday and make sure they know you are completely disgusted with the quality of the workmanship and want a full refund. Don't accept anything less!

If I still lived in chch I would have loved to help you out dealing with them as I think from what you have told us that they are just taking advantage of you which is wrong.

When someone supplies a goods or service that is not up to scratch or not be able to be used for the purpose for which it was intended you can mention the consumers guarantee act, I have done this many times and it usually makes people/businesses take notice and do the right thing for the customer.

The only problem you have is that you have lost the receipt, this is not a serious issue though as because you got the tank made from a reputable business I don't think they will deny making it without some serious trouble, just focus on the quality of the workmanship and not so much the wrong size and you should be able to get a refund.

Last but not least I am wondering if they offered any sort of guarantee on the tank?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they gave you a recipt, then they have a record, if they loose that record how do they explain the xxx dollars in their account when Mr tax man comes to do his rounds?

Agreed, they have proof and you need to let them know you know they have proof.

yea that was my next step i have tryed resoning with him to not go down that parth, but its not up to a acceptable standard.. IF ANYONE IN CHCH COULD COME AROUND TONIGHT TO HAVE A LOOK AN 2ND OPINION AN GET IT IN WRITING I WILL GIVE THEM $20 FOR GAS $ just to help me out.. everyone thats seen it agrees with me i mean it wasnt cleaned down at all the silicon job is ruff their is even a little speck of blood on the back of the tank from him. i mean come on thats not up to standard surley? paid alot of $ for it to turn up in that state.

i cant understand why you havent loaded it up and confronted him face to face with tank in hand. it easy to fob you off when on phone, lot harder when you standin in front of him. if youre in the right stand tall and tell him so. show him what you mean about quallity, see if you can get some sort of agreement. Use this forum as leverage if you need to. ive seen lots of posts endorsing there work on here. so the longer this thread goes on then more people read it. not a good look for them at all.

hey yea well im waiting for him to come pick it up.. txtd last friday saying hel get it next week after work.

he said if i brake the contract refund me less 15% i said what contact i dont rember signing a contract. he said i entered a contract getting the tank custom made an that hes entitled to charge me a fee if i dont let him replace the tank. an told me to look up consumers GA an get citizens advise. i said well if you want to go from the paperwork its not even to that size. an didnt hear back from him then txtd saying ill just take the refund - 15% ..its not about the size its the build quality hense why i just want a refund not for him to build a tank right size with that finish product.

has been really stressfull an im just over it so going to take the 15% hit. i could probley fight it an get a full refund from what iv been reading on consumers site but i think itl be faster an less hassel to take his fee hit an get $ i duno just over arguing my point an getting nowhere

He is right that under the CGA you have to give him the opportunity to correct the fault (both in terms of the size and the build quality). That would mean that you would have to give him the chance to build another tank of the size you ordered and up to a reasonable standard. The big issue there is defining the standard. I think you have probably made the right decision in cutting your losses and moving on.

He is right that under the CGA you have to give him the opportunity to correct the fault (both in terms of the size and the build quality). That would mean that you would have to give him the chance to build another tank of the size you ordered and up to a reasonable standard. The big issue there is defining the standard. I think you have probably made the right decision in cutting your losses and moving on.

In saying that dattofish has giving him plenty of time to fix the problem but only been stuffed around. I would keep fighting for 100% refund if not made correctly, but thats me. sometimes it is easier to cut a loss.

If you did want to fight it, tell him "small clams court, or refund. Under the consumer act you have had plenty of time to fix the situation" I wouldn't trust a new tank from some one at that point cause they probably wouldn't put the effort into doing it properly.

But as I said just my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

an the drama continues.. i got told on the friday 8th of feb he would pick it up sometime next week so said ok. then on the wensday i still hadnt heard from him so i droped it of their got the person their to check it showed her all the bad quality of the job she said yea i can see why your not happy an got me to write down my bank account details so could put refund in said will be asap rara.. yesterday still had no $ in my account rung up saying hey ringing up to see why my refund isnt in my bank. an said ill get ahold of him get it in their asap. so today i txtd him saying hi i rung up yesterday about a refund its been a week and still no $ i shouldnt have to chase it up she said itd be i their asap i wrote down my bank account no.

then i get a reply i havent checked tank yet, ill refund one iv had a look at it tomorrow.

WOT A JOKE! cant tell me its been sitting outside the shop for a week or he hasnt seen it with in a week of it being back in their hands.i made sure the person their had a look all round it so wouldnt have anymore drama with it.

i know it all started from the orignal quote on the spot being 1g give or take. but said would have to contact glass shop an get back to me.. an then it just esclated from their saying be this much then nex step up was its got to be 12mm base so goes up anougher 300 or something cant rember but it finally ended at one thousand six hundred an fifty dollars!

LESSON LEARNT!

$1650 for 1 tank, sorry but are you serious thats daylight robbery i got a 1.5m tank (granted its smaller) custom built with 12mm glass all over, for $350. This guys havin a laugh.
How long ago was this? The price of glass has gone up dramatically over the last few years, reflected in the prices of all my new tanks.

That can't be right, I got quoted half that price for a similar size tank locally and even they admitted it would be cheaper to get one made out of town and shipped. Surely you would have got more than one quote? If not then sorry to say you must be a smidgen gullible and extremely silly.