cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been more accurate if they hadn't said that the cat kills for fun. They kill because it is instinct, they don't have 'fun' like humans do.

imo cats have a lot of fun, ever looked into their eyes as they rake their claws down your arms???

I think a lot of organism's have "fun" and its a bit egotististical for us humans to think we are the only ones who play. how are we to know what a bacteria considers "fun"

watched a Budgie today have "fun" with its perch.......

Probably not what the cat wanted either. It had been trained by its thick selfish owner to use my veggy garden as a toilet so now I have to train it. I don't think it would understand pretty please or thankyou.

Apparently some animals can understand the human language, but apparently not your neighbors cats?? Animals can also "understand" via frequency of words and sentence structure. Opps, I'm off topic again :roll:

You are on topic. If you let a cat wander the neighbourhood it will use neutral territory as a toilet. We have no cat or dog so we get about 6 cats doing the same thing and it is going to stop one way or another. My pets don't deseve to be tormented by them or my veggy garden used as a cat toilet along with the diseases that go with that. I have nothing against cats if the are confined to the owners property. If they can't do that then they should not have a cat.

Well, I personally find this a fascinating discussion. There is no doubt that cats are companion animals and are dearly loved by a lot of people, responsible or not.

Being in the veterinary industry for 20 years pretty much ensures I cannot possibly fail to see the value that these animals offer to human companionship. I personally have had cats almost all of my life. At the same time, I also see the damage that their lifestyle with humans has had on their own health, not to mention the well being of others. I have seen and treated thousands of cats hit by cars, injured by dog bites, abscesses from cat fight wounds, inflicted with parasites, broken bones from falls, poisoned, trapped, abandoned, feral, you name it. Is this fair to the cats themselves? I personally do not think so. The risks to the cat's health are so very high. When combined with the risks to wildlife, children in sand pits, our vegie gardens, it seems logical to start examining the issue and I think that is what Morgan is doing. He cannot possibly believe he will eradicate one of the top three pets in the world, but he can raise the issue. (I should be clear that I actually haven't looked at what he has to say, nor have I visited any sites that discuss these issues, or seen the Campbell Live show, these are just my opinions based on my experiences).

The one and only reason I don't have a cat now is because I can't keep it on my property and I am not in a position to build a cat enclosure at my current house. I know many other vets, techs and nurses who keep their cats in enclosures for the same reasons. Google cat enclosure and you will see some fantastic ways to keep cats happy and entertained while also keeping them safe, and ensuring the safety of wildlife.*

*The University of Georgia and National Geographic published results of a study last year that estimated that free-roaming house cats kill an estimated 4 billion wild animals across the U.S. every year, including birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians.

http://www.abcbirds.org/newsandreports/ ... 20806.html

wrong, the question should be why didn't he/she teach the cat NOT to do that ?

Only wrong in your view....I'm interested in how she/he is able to enter his property, no doubt on several occasions over an extended period of time, and physically/purposefully teach the cat(s) to dig/crap in his garden. The other question is why would they do this when they, I presume, would have their own area on their own property for their cats e.g. garden or litter tray?

Now that I think about it, where do my cats go to poo? Certainly not in my garden, not that I have seen, and I certainly don't teach them to go elsewhere?

There are a limited number of animals that crap in their their own back yard if given the choice. have you ever wondered why you see people walking dogs and carrying plastic bags. They are known to some as responsible dog owners. They have learned that it is not a nice thing to have their pet crap on other peoples gardens or on public space.

There are a limited number of animals that crap in their their own back yard if given the choice. have you ever wondered why you see people walking dogs and carrying plastic bags. They are known to some as responsible dog owners. They have learned that it is not a nice thing to have their pet crap on other peoples gardens or on public space.

Really? I know several dogs and cats who will naturally toilet in their own yard. People walk dogs for exercise (and bonding), as a result of the exercise dogs naturally poo, (responsible) owners are then required, due to potential legal aspects, to collect the poo. Have you ever seen a responsible dog owner NOT collect the poo?

Exactly, our argument is there should be the same damn laws for cats and their irresponsible owners.

Don't generalize, not ALL cat/pet owners are irresponsible. How one would enforce/control this? A fence/enclosure? Electric barrier? Either way, it's a complicated task, it doesn't help that cats naturally have a very large territory. I feel that killing is the easy way out and doesn't actually "fix" the problem in the long term...look at the dreaded RCD. After all the killings and burning the disease is still present. There are more educated/professional methods to be used.

Please explain your educated and professional methods that would work?

If you are not prepared to keep your feline friend locked up in either an enclosure or inside all the time you shouldn't have one, and don't complain when someone who is sick of your pet takes matters into their own hands and destroys them or harms them to keep them off their property. Why should a non cat owner have to deal with all the literal crap when they are supposed to be the owners responsibility?

Also I am not saying all cat owners are irresponsible, just the majority of them.

Please explain your educated and professional methods that would work?

If you are not prepared to keep your feline friend locked up in either an enclosure or inside all the time you shouldn't have one, and don't complain when someone who is sick of your pet takes matters into their own hands and destroys them or harms them to keep them off their property. Why should a non cat owner have to deal with all the literal crap when they are supposed to be the owners responsibility?

Also I am not saying all cat owners are irresponsible, just the majority of them.

Methods such as sterilization/population control, collars with bells, geographical isolation e.g. islands just to name a few. Why should people lock animals (cats or dogs) inside all day to suit people, with no tolerance? Lets lock those people inside and see how they "deal" with it? Not very well I can imagine? My question is then why should a non dog owner, who has cats or not, have to put up with dogs doing the same thing or worse? What it comes down to is Cats VS Dogs. Some people like dogs and some cats, some both and some neither. Lucky for them all they have the SPCA and other organizations.