August 13, 201412 yr Author comment_553416 Thanks for that. I will look into it. Hopefully it is cheaper than PLY, cause man alive that stuff is expensive. Report
August 13, 201412 yr comment_553425 You could ask at Bunnings, m10 etc for ply wood cover sheets, they sometimes keep them and sell them at a cheap rate. The problem is they will be inconsistent sizes. I also have access to a discount card my work has at Bunnings that may save you some cash. If you send me the sku numbers for the ply I can go in and see how much I can get it for. Report
August 14, 201412 yr comment_553441 I insulated the walls with Batts just like you did. I then lined the whole room with 50mm Polystyrene completely wrapped with Polyethylene plastic sheet, and once installed EVERY gap/join was tapped to seal things up. My fish room still has the dry dust on the roof and walls from when I built it - 15 years ago!!! It has never had moisture problems. To heat it I went to an electrical store and purchased one of those wall mounted thermostats and wired it into a female plug, then I plugged in a 1200W fan heater, set the thermostat to your desired temp and bingo... one heated fish room. It is very efficient and cheap to heat, the key to it all - stacks of insulation and 100% sealing ( E.G: no draughts = no heat out & no cool outside air in ). If you have any doubts then ask anyone on here who has been to my room and seen the results :dnc1: Report
August 14, 201412 yr comment_553460 I insulated mine very well and heated it with a 1 kw heater with the fan wired to go all the time. The heater hardly ever came on. You will find that if you have a lot of fish in there the atmosphere will get a bit rank and you will wish to give an air change when you enter. If you have a lot of tanks and therefore a lot of water (and fish) not much energy is required to heat the air and the water acts as a heat sink. Report
September 25, 201412 yr Author comment_554743 Right, ply is on, paint should be done during this weekend. Next thought. What do I put on the floor to minimise heat loss and to also look good? I have a heap of carpet but of late I am umming and ahhing about using it. Any thoughts? What have other people used on the floor of concrete rooms? This is the last decision that I need to make and then it is all and ready to start bringing tanks in. Report
September 26, 201412 yr comment_554744 Right, ply is on, paint should be done during this weekend. Next thought. What do I put on the floor to minimise heat loss and to also look good? I have a heap of carpet but of late I am umming and ahhing about using it. Any thoughts? What have other people used on the floor of concrete rooms? This is the last decision that I need to make and then it is all and ready to start bringing tanks in. Carpet won't do much and being a fish room I would definitely prefer to leave a hard surface for spills etc. Ideally you would have insulation under the concrete slab but that is obviously out of the question. Nothing much you can do unless you want to build another timber floor on top but that would be quite extreme. Report
September 26, 201412 yr comment_554753 I just kept the concrete bare but had over 150mm of poly under the concrete and heaps of steel in it. Report
September 26, 201412 yr Author comment_554755 I would definitely prefer to leave a hard surface for spills etc. Same which is why I am umming and ahhing abut the carpet. How much heat/ more heating do you think will be needed with bare concrete. I just kept the concrete bare but had over 150mm of poly under the concrete and heaps of steel in it. I am beginning to consider this, I may just put mats of carpet down. Report
September 26, 201412 yr comment_554756 Carpet insulates barely diddely squat so you might as well leave it out. Especially when there are such obvious advantages of not having carpet in a fish room. A relatively small percentage of heat loss in a room goes through the floor. Much more important to do ceiling and walls and you are sweet there from what I can see. Do poly under concrete slab in your next life. Report
September 26, 201412 yr Author comment_554759 :thup: Noted. I guess I need to work out if I want to paibt it or not now. Report
September 30, 201412 yr Author comment_554874 And a photo bomb Top coat is now finished, I should have the lock set installed tomorrow, and the door and power finished this weekend. Report
September 30, 201412 yr comment_554882 Only 10% of heat is lost through the floor as heat rises. I would go bare concrete floor and avoid the problems of spilt water on carpet. Report
October 1, 201412 yr Author comment_554895 Yip, have now decided on carpetless floor. I may paint it to make it look a bit nicer, but to be honest I am over it and I can't be bothered. I just want to put some water in the room now. Report
October 1, 201412 yr Author comment_554906 Thought about it, but I am over putting money into at the momoent to be honest. Also I suspect it may deteriorate and cause issues with that much water in the room. Flip side of spending money.... I have just sorted out an alarm system to go into the room. Report
November 12, 201411 yr Author comment_556522 And the only fish I am actually excited about having in there for the time being at least... Report
November 12, 201411 yr comment_556528 Nice work on the fish room dude. Hard to believe it's the same space that was once a garage several pages ago. Looks like a great use of the space now. Report
November 12, 201411 yr Author comment_556531 Yeah crazy looking back at it over the last 2 years or so. Report
November 21, 201411 yr Author comment_556889 I now officially have more tanks running in the fish room than in the house. Sadly I have now realised I need more tank space and I am out of room for all of my fish. Report
November 21, 201411 yr comment_556899 I now officially have more tanks running in the fish room than in the house. Sadly I have now realised I need more tank space and I am out of room for all of my fish. :rolfl: :rolfl: :rolfl: Welcome to the "my cool new fish room is finished and sh!t I need a new fish room" club. :rolfl: :rolfl: :rolfl: Honey, you know how I said I would get those tanks out of the house once my new fish room was finished? :digH: Well I think that "we" should leave them where they are, cause otherwise there would be a big space in the room, and we can't aford to buy anything to fill that space up.... :digH: See how the new fish room is saving us money already ...... :digH: :digH: I should build a fish room extension..... :digH: :digH: :digH: Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.