Fish room build

camtang

Thank you all for your input.

Being that I am putting in a wall I think it may be a good idea to build a shelf on the outside to have the pump sitting out of the room. My main thought was heating, but Alan has sealed the deal for me.

I am getting an extractor fan installed to come on when ever I turn the lights on as well as using the heat pump fo heating, so I think that should cover the ammonia scent in the room, if not I am keeping a functioning window and I am making the door 4 foot wide.

On the note of pumps, whatare some worth looking into? I have seen a couple on Trademe recently around $50, 35W and 50-60L per minute. To run air into roughly 40 maybe more tanks what rating should I be looking at?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 sponge filter in 30cm deep tanks + three artemia bottles on a Resun LP40 (3000l/h) and I still have to leave 3 air taps open because there is to much preasure otherwise. LP40 feeds a 40mm PVC pipe that run's around the room and branches off to the tanks via short air hose. Works for my small tanks but as a rule of thumb:

Air Volume per h = double the water volume of your tanks

Cheers,

JaSa

Yesterdays work with fellow forum user "nathanathan9". We knocked out all of the small shelves, de nailed all of the walls, removed the ceiling beams and raised them, put up the ceiling batterns, and tacked on the exteria boards for the new wall.

I am all ready for the sparky to come in, so will be ringing him today and hopfully he can come round next weekend.

DSC01295_zpse1bd094a.jpg

DSC01296_zpsc92afd82.jpg

DSC01297_zpse4f8148f.jpg

DSC01299_zpsd5c9abd9.jpg

DSC01302_zpsed4e09d3.jpg

DSC01303_zpsc709046f.jpg

DSC01305_zps33843582.jpg

DSC01306_zpsb498ca41.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I got delayed a touch with study and other boring things like that, so this week there has been a big push on getting some work done.

DSC01476_zps71190103.jpg

DSC01475_zps830ccb67.jpg

DSC01477_zpsbaaf552d.jpg

DSC01478_zps2e571a3b.jpg

As you can see, still lots to go. The rest of the batts will be done this week. From then the GIB should be getting done in wall stage in the next few weeks.

I also got a rack put together as you can see in the last photo, each rack should be good to hold 10 600x300x300 tank and I have two. They fit into the a very small space in the corner by the door frame and the window, so that leaves me with heaps of room for bigger tanks.

A new window should be ready to fit in two weeks so the existing ones will be fully removed and that will replace it with the heating unit I got from Caryl, what feels like a decade ago now.

Lock smith is due on Saturday, so I will seal up the extra door and complete the batts on that wall then.

If you used gib you would need to use aqualine. I would try to get something more resistant to moisture. I lined mine with offcuts of colour steel sheets with the joints sealed with RTV and painted with maf approved mould resistant paint. Remove the oil coating before painting.

• 4 weeks later...

DSC01546_zps531110fe.jpg

DSC01547_zps2d399209.jpg

DSC01548_zps322c9b02.jpg

The room is now all blacked out and batty. Hopefully I have not missed or forgotten something, I have been filling any crack or gap I see with expanding foam so hopefully there will be no draft.

I have decided on 9mm Ply for the room lining. So that is the next task to take on.