December 12, 201213 yr comment_512541 Has anyone tried using super glue for attaching Java Fern (with success) to driftwood? Is it recommended? Report
December 12, 201213 yr comment_512546 I have heard of people at thing it this way with great success however can not remember if his was in plant only aquariums. I don't know the make up of the glue so not sure if it would be toxic to fish. I use cable ties. Report
December 12, 201213 yr comment_512552 I thought I had heard of people using it in tanks. Why not cut a slit in the wood and slide a few roots into it? That is all I do, or use existing cracks. Report
December 12, 201213 yr comment_512553 I just tie it on with some cheap cotton which is good as after a short time it rots away leaving the fern attached to the wood/rock by itself. Report
December 12, 201213 yr comment_512554 Why not cut a slit in the wood and slide a few roots into it? That is all I do, or use existing cracks. This. can also anchor in the roots by wedging in small gravel into the cracks. Report
December 12, 201213 yr comment_512557 isn't superglue toxic to fish? No. Superglue works fine. The gel type is usually better though given the usually uneven attachment area. It's much thicker and stays where it's put rather than running everywhere and only sticking a few tiny points together. Report
December 13, 201213 yr comment_512570 +1 i use super glue gel advanced i think its called for sticking corals in place Report
December 13, 201213 yr comment_512579 I used to drill 10mm holes in wood and poke the plants in there. Not sure about super glue... but if its safe to glue us back together... Report
December 13, 201213 yr comment_512584 methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate (commonly sold under trade names like "Super Glue" and "Krazy Glue"), and n-butyl cyanoacrylate (used in veterinary and skin glues). Report
December 13, 201213 yr Author comment_512592 Might get myself some and do a tester tonight. Thanks everyone! :cr4: Report
December 13, 201213 yr comment_512601 is it exoxy that is toxic then? I'm another that just uses the thread and tie method, way easier and no worries about toxicity etc - plus i can't get my head around the roots just being glued on - can't imagine its easy for them to grow being stuck. Report
December 13, 201213 yr comment_512621 is it exoxy that is toxic then? Most epoxies are also non toxic once cured. Once knew a guy that "fixed" his teeth with some of that white porcelain epoxy because he didn't want to pay for a dentist. He wasn't dead and seemed fine, at least nothing that wasn't pre-existing anyway. Report
December 13, 201213 yr comment_512641 would have given him a mean headrush while curing too Doubt it, I haven't noticed any real fumes coming off any of the 2 part epoxies I've used. And there's no aromatic solvents involved. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.