the fish rooms im building *photos*

ilwis

I'm running over 50 undergravel filtered tanks on a Pondone air pump, they do large volume low pressure pumps and ours has been running 24/7 for over 3-5 years without a single problem. (boss can't remember when they put it in)

and its VERY quiet, its located in the shop without a soundproof box.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running over 50 undergravel filtered tanks on a Pondone air pump, they do large volume low pressure pumps and ours has been running 24/7 for over 3-5 years without a single problem. (boss can't remember when they put it in)

and its VERY quiet, its located in the shop without a soundproof box.

Good but hard to get your hands on the flapper valves after they are stuffed. 6 month backorder for a part isn't funny ...

JaSa

Good but hard to get your hands on the flapper valves after they are stuffed. 6 month backorder for a part isn't funny ...

JaSa

is that the caase with most pond air pumps? because with the quanty of tanks im looking at it might be a good idea for me to look at pond air pumps so i dont need to think too much about having to upgrade in the future, and if they are that quiet it might be the golden ticket for me

im fearly sure the 2 things that will upset my wife the most is the noise and mold with the entire venture

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yea its not too bad im enjoying it so far!

once i get this all going how i want ill get onto the other room as its still achievable

but so far i happen to have some little red jewel fry and some convict fry growing quite quickly hopefully ill have some other fish making there way soon too tho

That looks like a very bodged up garage fishroom. I was expecting alot more polish after all this talk and advice, looks like you bought a bunch of random tanks off trademe and made a lil shelf for them. If you are wanting to import and quarantine selective and costly fish I think there is a lot of room for improvement. Gotta start somewhere though so good work and dont let the detractors put you off if you are really determined.

lol no this is definitely not anywhere near quarantine standard this is just basically a tryout of setting up a room specifically for fish the other room is for the quarantine and yes most of these tanks are off trademe

i cant really expect to go straight into a quarantine setup without having a fish room set up first this way i can work out kinks and cost of the things needed for that, kinda look at this as a test room if i went straight into trying something like that right away i would surely make some massive muck-ups right away as a example: the lining of the walls for insulation if it wasn't enough and i cooked my first shipment during the day and froze them over night because i haven't taken the time to try it first i would have a total loss of livestock and have to rebuild the entire room from scratch, then all the MAF part of it would have been a waste and id be down thousands of dollars and that much further from the goal

this project is not a do it over night, it requires planning and time but i will get there.

Yep, preety good I recon :)

What kind of taps are you using for your airline. I mean the ones that come off the main line and go down to the tanks.

Cheers,

JaSa

funnily enough my airline is basically a water drippier system but rather than running water im running air, its all airtight so no losses in pressure but you buy them from any hardware store(even the warehouse tho more expensive) for about $1.60 each its a little black tap that plugs into your 10 or 13mm main airline, it can run from completely closed off to quite a lot of bubbles i think i ran the entire room (excluding pump) for about $35

What is the purpose of the tank in the last pic?

It is not like I set up my fish house but people can do what works for them in a private setup. Quarantine is a different ball game---someone elses rules.

i think it might have been you that mentioned this idea to me but basically it lets me put fry into each compartment (above the blue mesh) then when i want to do a water change i just lift the inner part and put it back down and that will provide the water change Ive also left enough room around the inner part to let some cleaner fish do the dirty work for me

yep the garden watering system works well for water or airline

Hmmm, I tried the taps you can buy 10x in a yellow bags from Bunnings for the 6mm lines but they leaked water - not to mention what they did with air :-? Might picked a bad batch though, dunno.

Cheers,

JaSa

i think they must be getting better Ive only had 1 leak out of about 20

i haven't had to put any fish in the tank yet but im expecting that i may have to within the next week Ive got some red jewel fry there and the next group of them will become free swimming within the next few days i can see the eggs there now