the fish rooms im building *photos*

ilwis

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to make a formal application to mpi and state exactly what you propose to do to comply with the regs and they have to say yes, or no because. When they are happy you apply for a building consent from the council and a resource consent if required. I did not need a reasource consent because when I applied for the building permit (in those days) I stated that it was for the quarantine and breeding of fish and some idiot crossed that out and put fish house. When I pointed out that it was a legal document and they could not alter it (only approve or not approve) they concluded that since it had been approved it must have been on the basis of a home occupation. You may be able to avoid a resource consent if that provision is in the district plan. If you state what you intend with drainage and plumbing that will become part of the consent. My guess is that the present siting will not comply.

My guess is that the present siting will not comply.

It can be done! i been told a guy used to have his quarantine setup in his home garage here in Auckland.

but iam sure you will need a resource consent for sure.

resouce consent involving neighbour signing approval form! i really hate that process:facepalm:

last time i was building my house, we were fresh in the neghbourhood, the dam neghbour wouldnt want to sign for approval for us to increase percentage of floor area! :an!gry

:sage: ilwis

Labour weekend this week, a small box of chocolate to your neghbour is not a bad idea!!

i wouldnt worry much about council, but i would be more concern when dealing with maf and the boys and girl coming around checking up requiremnt on how to handle quarantine process!!

update us with news please!! :thup:

so my latest update is if i put in plumbing i will have to get a building consent (i don't plan on doing plumbing i have a way around that :) )

the next thing about the council is any residential area that does breeding of fish needs a resource consent so even without the quarantine aspect of it i would still need that anyway ($1500)

i haven't been in to see MAF yet because i need to finish my business plan out on paper once that's done i can go see them show them my operators manual and see what they say about it.

so far all is looking good tho! it may slow a bit for the next week just to get some money together

oh i also found some 50mm poly for $14.40! and 25mm for $7! so that will be cool

after i speak with MAF or about the same time ill be buying and putting up the insulation and the lino for the floor and depending on what MAF says dealing with the other things they want to happen

so far its all good and going to plan!

You need to make a formal application to mpi and state exactly what you propose to do to comply with the regs and they have to say yes, or no because. When they are happy you apply for a building consent from the council and a resource consent if required. I did not need a reasource consent because when I applied for the building permit (in those days) I stated that it was for the quarantine and breeding of fish and some idiot crossed that out and put fish house. When I pointed out that it was a legal document and they could not alter it (only approve or not approve) they concluded that since it had been approved it must have been on the basis of a home occupation. You may be able to avoid a resource consent if that provision is in the district plan. If you state what you intend with drainage and plumbing that will become part of the consent. My guess is that the present siting will not comply.

your right as it is sitting right now it wouldn't be legal to put fish tanks in there for anything other than looking at but ill get it up to scratch just got to get the right things, plans and ideas underway! :)

(and that was lucky for you!)

so my latest update is if i put in plumbing i will have to get a building consent (i don't plan on doing plumbing i have a way around that :) )

Great thinker, good on you!! :thup:

the next thing about the council is any residential area that does breeding of fish needs a resource consent so even without the quarantine aspect of it i would still need that anyway ($1500)

!

aprox:$1500 not guranteed for aproval that is!! :slfg:

Council like to slap people in the face soo much i not suprised! :dunno:

at least you wont get charge for developement contribution from them:facepalm:

A lot of local plans have a provision for home occupation. The conditions usually require family only and no retail sales. Quarantine should fit in to that so see if they have made provision. :dunno: I would be surprised if a ocal authority like Auckland was so far behind the times that they have not made provision for that. Curious as to how you are going to provide a sink, wash hand basin, hot water supply and effluent disposal without doing plumbing and drainage. You will also need a freezer (seperate to your home freezer) to put any dead fish into.

A lot of local plans have a provision for home occupation. The conditions usually require family only and no retail sales. Quarantine should fit in to that so see if they have made provision. :dunno: I would be surprised if a ocal authority like Auckland was so far behind the times that they have not made provision for that. Curious as to how you are going to provide a sink, wash hand basin, hot water supply and effluent disposal without doing plumbing and drainage. You will also need a freezer (seperate to your home freezer) to put any dead fish into.

Yeah it's close to how you said about the workers it says at least 1 from the house must work there and a max of 4 people they don't say anything about sales just a max signage of 1 sign of 600 and only one sign same max size can be put on the sidewalk

It depends how many fish you want to import in a shipment.

Yea that's what I'm trying to figure out how many will come in a shipment normal tropicals seem about 30c each but with a min order of $500 required (and another $500 for shipping costs ) gives me a heap of fish about 1700 at that price each fish being about 5cm long is there enough tank space? (That's all just from quote from one supplier other places may do smaller orders but I'm only in contact with 4 suppliers at the moment with price lists

what is classed as a normal tropical?

I kinda generalised for the prices eg guppies 15cents neons 12cents mollies 17cents angels 20cents even wild caught most 30cents tho discus and cats range from 30cents to $20, all the prices I've quoted are USD and rough prices as dif sizes are dif prices most of these quotes are 3-5cm

hrmmm.... 15c neons.... acceptable rate is around 40% mortality...... $3 in shops..... not much money there

Yea I won't bother with the run of the mill fish hat you find in every fish store it's mostly African cichlids or unusual or hard to find fish and wild caught fish there's no point in getting something that another person has the market covered in

just remember that MAF might not believe that the fish you are importing are actually the fish you claim them to be..... 6 month wait in quarantine, 70% mortality.........

just a question i understand that the mortality rate is very high in quarantine but why is it so high? is it because of fish killing each other or bad water problems, disease? whats the usual reasons?

It depends a bit where they come from. Many places basically just tranship so the fish can be pretty stressed before they even get on their way. Can result in damage to liver, kydneys etc. They are also crowded during freighting to save money. They used to be drugged to allow for more per bag but I think a lot of that has stopped. When I imported goldfish they all came back from testing as having kydney damage from being crowded out in pooor quality water. There is also an economy of scale at your end. The bigger the shipment the cheaper for each fish and your overheads are the same for one tank half full as for all tanks really full.

• 2 weeks later...