Any mechanics on the forum?

the new guy

Hi everyone!

its been a while since i've been on but maybe someone on here could help me?

I bought a 1992 mitsi Libero/lancer a couple of months ago..... finally got my license back last week after 6 months and took it for a spin last night when I thought I had finished fixing it.

Now the problem is..... Ill take off and it gets up to 3rd gear then completely slip out of gear(its an automatic). I have to pull over to put it back to park then back to drive but keeps slipping out, or i can change it to 1st or 2nd gear to keep going. I am not use to working on cars with all these computer things in them. my old Nissan was just an engine and none of this other stuff!

so if anyone could help me diagnose the problem that would be awesome!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Volvo S80 died 2 months ago in a similar manner, It has drive for about 20seconds after turning it on, then just slips and wont move at all. I beleive one of the friction belts (the forward one) has worn away. Still unsure what im doing with mine... Hiff the car or have a go at fixing it.

next car= manual :thup:

+1

It turns out that when overdrive is off it works fine..... and i realized that the "check engine" light is on so tomorrow before work i will head to the auto electrician and get them to plug their computer in to see what the problem is.

I want my old car back which was a 1987 nissan sentra, because, welllll... it just worked and had no sign of a computer and was so much easier to fix!

owning a mitzi taught me heaps about fixing a car.

last I checked you could get a new transmission from pickapart for around

$150

Wow!! Didnt realize they even existed! i can get a replacement for $60!!! and it is self service...... guess who is going to have some fun this long weekend :happy1:

Gearboxes are good fun to replace in front wheeldrive cars. Know what you are doing and providing you have the tools all ready, a begginer can happily do it in a day. Not to put any pressure on you, but i replace a clutch in my honda in one and a half hours... by my self :P admittedly, its had a bit of work and doesnt have half the crap under the bonnet that every other car has.

have you done a trans replacement before?

Indeed, infact ive done 2 before. if youve got the right tools, study the car manual, take lots of pictures of where things went its easyish! lol

Just make sure you have the tools to do the job, like a torque wrench and loctite

Or a socket set with a huge long pole :slfg: well to get bolts undone anyway :)

I will prob have to hire a engine hoist tho.

Just make sure you have the tools to do the job, like a torque wrench and loctite

These are two things i never use. Well, a torque wrench only when im doing engine work. Engine hoist is handy, but a couple of jacks and some keen friends can also do the trick :)

Seeing as we are off topic, here is why my car is such a dream to work on:

P7250084copy.jpg

2 nuts and the axles are out,

2 electrical plugs

2 radiator hoses

2 fuel hoses

3 bolt holding the engine in

2 bolts for the exhaust

and undo the shiter

Done, engine is out. [/brag]

These are two things i never use. Well, a torque wrench only when im doing engine work. Engine hoist is handy, but a couple of jacks and some keen friends can also do the trick :)

Seeing as we are off topic, here is why my car is such a dream to work on:

P7250084copy.jpg

2 nuts and the axles are out,

2 electrical plugs

2 radiator hoses

2 fuel hoses

3 bolt holding the engine in

2 bolts for the exhaust

and undo the shiter

Done, engine is out. [/brag]

:hail: I LOVE the blue! lol I wish i had keen friends lol my friend i call engine hoist is always willing to help :happy1:

, but i replace a clutch in my honda in one and a half hours... by my self :P admittedly, its had a bit of work and doesnt have half the crap under the bonnet that every other car has.

humm i supouse you had air tools and a hoist..?

craig.steele,,,,,

its take longer on the ground and someone talking in your ear..but if you dune acoulpeable before,,it should take about four hours ruffly,,

may be a little longer being a auto,,and make sure you undo the Torque converter on the flywheel or you will have oil ever where..you may not even get the trans out,,

p/s make sure the torque converter is in place [if remove or side out a little..rotoate in till it lowkates in the trans,,make sure its home,, before install..or you will fuge it,,if in dout remove and refit,,it should take three drop ins as it lowkates the tangs in the trans..