Does silica sand leach anything into the water?

Joe

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting some silica sand for my blackwater biotope aquarium. I have read on google that low pH can cause it to leach silicates and stuff into the water which I am worried about as this tank will have a low pH.

Would quartz sand be a better option? I have read that this is completely inert, and will not leach anything into the water or alter the pH or hardness.

Thanks,

Joe

Because they are insoluble so your body cant get rid of them?

Your body doesn't just dissolve material and then excrete it through urine. Have you never coughed? There is a continuous flow of mucous out of your lungs up your throat. Whether it's before damage is done is another matter...

The only thing it would leach would be silica(probably obvious), which is pretty harmless. And won't effect any tests other than silica tests in the tiny amounts that it does dissolve. The only thing, possibly, that it might increase is brown algae which is made of diatoms. They have a shell made of silica. And whether it's significant or not is debatable.

Silicosis is a condition whereby very fine silica dust enters the lungs reaching the alveoli bypassing the mucus lung defences. I doubt that there is any way one could get it from silicates in water. It is reported in coal miners and others who work with silica.

is there a possibility it could affect gill membranes?

Does anyone know where to get some smooth silica sand from in Christchurch or Nelson? Apparently there is a sandblasting company here but I assume they will only sell the abrasive one. I'll go and check anyway. Otherwise I was thinking of ordering a 25kg bag from Hollywood Fish Farm because it's only $20, but stipping will be expensive though, which is why I want to try and get it closer. Petstuff 101 also sell it for $10 dearer, is it any better than the stuff at HFF?

Thanks,

Joe

Wow that's a lot :o I would of thought it would have been a bit less, maybe $30 or something. Oh well.

Does anyone know where I can get silica sand in Christchurch? Or any other type of fine, pale sand that isn't abrasive or alters water parameters?

Wow that's a lot :o I would of thought it would have been a bit less, maybe $30 or something. Oh well.

Does anyone know where I can get silica sand in Christchurch? Or any other type of fine, pale sand that isn't abrasive or alters water parameters?

I'd suggest checking out any of these near you: http://yellow.co.nz/yellow+pages/landscaping+supply/christchurch

Wow thanks Ira, that's a huge help :hail:

Hamstar99, there are no places at all in Blenheim that sell it. I have been to Placemakers, and Mitre 10 mega and they don't have it. The Warehouse doesn't have it either, and we don't have Bunnings. And as far as I know none of the garden shops sell it. They do have pumice sand but it's too course for the Apistos to sift through it. Would be great for aquatic plants though :)

Jim R, what do you mean I will loose 50%? Also is it the smooth grade stuff? Sounds great though :)