Auckland Pet Shops

JaSa

Hi :)

I will be up in Auckland for two days in a couple of weeks time and while up there trying to visit a few pet shops. Which pet shops are a MUST to check out?

Obviously I'm interested in the shops with the best & biggest stock on tropical freshwater fish - especially livebearers ...

What are your personal favourites?

What's a MUST SEE?

Any (big) Guppy breeders up there I might have a chance for a chat / having a nosy?

Cheers,

JaSa

This is my order of preference on this side of the bridge : HFF Mt Roskill, AquaVillage in Neilson St Onehunga, Animates Mt Eden just in case they are having a special, and they have a nice display tank. Bird Barn in Henderson has some interesting stuff too and lots of other pets.

On the other side of the bridge there's Aqua World in Glenfield, must see if you like saltwater. Then HFF Albany and Pupuke Aquarium centre in Birkenhead.

My favourites are HFF Mt Roskill for range, price and good staff, Aqua World for interesting things to see and do and some good prices, BirdBarn for same reasons, and AquaVillage as he has fry of various ages so again is nice to go there.

Well you know there is such a thing as google maps :D . Not the best answer I realise but there are tools available.....Mt Roskill is quite difficult to explain. Probably best to drive out of town via Symonds St, head down Mt Eden Rd till you get to Three Kings/Mt Albert Rd intersection (waving to Josh at Animates when you go past), then turn right and go along Mt Albert Rd till you see Frost Rd on the left and it's at the bottom of the hill.

If you don't know Auckland it's possibly more straightforward to visit the Albany branch as it's straight up the North Motorway to Albany, turn left at the roundabout and it's a little way down on the right.

I was in Auckland this morning and ran the HFF in Mt Roskill asking them how to get there from town. The reply was that they were west Aucklanders and didn't know! Gave it a miss.

To be honest, if you don't have need to travel to a particular area of Auckland then you will not know.

Even though I have now lived in Auckland (near CBD) for 15 years, I would be pushed to explain over the phone to someone how to get there.

As Sophia said thats what google maps are for or there is an alternative, a good old map book.

Now back to topic - I would aim for HFF, Mt Roskill and Pupuki (over the bridge). I have not visited either Aqua World or Aqua Village. There are the Animates shops but they do vary in quality, depending on who is working there :wink: - if its a knowledgable fish keeper then they can be pretty good.

I consider this remark totally unnecessary. Just because the person on the other end of the phone doesn't know the answer is no reason to tell people to miss the shop. Is it not better for them to be honest than have you driving miles in the wrong direction?

Graham said he gave it a miss, he didn't say Give it a miss.

Don't tell her you are visiting them all. Tell her you are just visiting those recommended as best. She needn't know that is all of them :wink:

If you see a silver car swerving all over the motorway, with a red-faced :an!gry pregnant woman slapping the male driver with a jandal :facepalm:, you'll all know why :happy1:

I was just curious to what was available in Auckland and accessible by public transport. Actually the airport bus goes through Mt. Roskill but I was hoping an ordinary bus did too. I did find a pet shop in Newmarket but they had a very limited selection with pricing consistent with high overheads.

I will try HFF again when I next visit Auckland and will hire a car!

If you see a silver car swerving all over the motorway, with a red-faced :an!gry pregnant woman slapping the male driver with a jandal :facepalm:, you'll all know why :happy1:

We've all been there mate.. Just bite the bullet and keep driving! It's worth it! lol

I was just curious to what was available in Auckland and accessible by public transport. Actually the airport bus goes through Mt. Roskill but I was hoping an ordinary bus did too. I did find a pet shop in Newmarket but they had a very limited selection with pricing consistent with high overheads.

I will try HFF again when I next visit Auckland and will hire a car!

Give me a pm next time you are up and if I can I will happily take you on a tour. :D I have only been to 1 shop once in the last 4 months.

When did Mt Roskill Animates do away with their big saltwater display? We visited in November and it was not there, and were really disapointed. In fact they no longer had saltwater stock. I do prefer the Jansen's days.

We like visiting both HFF's and Pupuke Aquarium.

Thank you guy's :)

That is really great and I will set up the rout so we are going past a few of the mentioned shops. Hopefully I can trick my other half so she won't figure it out what's going on - or drug her :digH:

Cheers,

JaSa