Auckland Pet Shops

JaSa

Give me a pm next time you are up and if I can I will happily take you on a tour. :D I have only been to 1 shop once in the last 4 months.

I might just do that :thup:

There's no shops in Wgton that I know of that have salt water stock which seems a shame since we are surrounded by the stuff!

JaSa you could drop the missus off at Onehunga Dressmart and then pop off to HFF Mt Roskill and Aqua Village, then pick her up and go visit the others. By the time you pick her up she could easily be all shopped out and then only have the strength to sit in the car and nap while you visit the others :sml2:

Graham, there are a few buses that go down Mt Albert Rd past the end of Frost Rd but is probably easier to rely on your own transport than use a bus service in an area you don't know.

JaSa you could drop the missus off at Onehunga Dressmart and then pop off to HFF Mt Roskill and Aqua Village, then pick her up and go visit the others. By the time you pick her up she could easily be all shopped out and then only have the strength to sit in the car and nap while you visit the others :sml2:

The wife would spend more than I would.

• 3 weeks later...

So, just back from Auckland and that is what I think about the shops:

Animates Mt Eden:

Very, very friendly and helpfull staff! Nice shop, good parking. Over all quality of the fish is average. Spotted a single Magenta Guppy Male in one of their tanks. First one I evers saw in NZ! Left it there coz no space at the moment :( Rest of the livebearers disappointing in quality, sorry.

HFF Mt Roskill:

Small but really good shop. Good parking. Lot's of different fish in perfect condition & quality. Tanks set up beautiful with nice gravel. Livebearers were a bit disappointing compared to the rest and would have expected more (selection). Loved the plain tanks for sale in the tank room and will be back for a few of theses 37l (?) ones for $40 :)

AquaVillage:

Closed / redecorating at the moment ???

Bought nothing in the end but it was a good day out and I really enjoyed it. Sadly nothing fancy for me as a livebearer-lover but the selection is probably changing every week...

JaSa

Well no sign on door, no working phone and the website is only working on the first page. Hopefully they will let us know if they have moved. The whole road front around them is being dug up but the one shop that is still operational does have access to it - Aqua Village does not. The workmen have not seen anyone in the shop.

• 2 weeks later...

HFF Mt Roskill:

Small but really good shop. Good parking. Lot's of different fish in perfect condition & quality. Tanks set up beautiful with nice gravel. Livebearers were a bit disappointing compared to the rest and would have expected more (selection). Loved the plain tanks for sale in the tank room and will be back for a few of theses 37l (?) ones for $40 :)

As it so happened I was in Auckland over the weekend, and was put up by a relative. In her room was a fish bowl with two oranda, one very dead though :( Water smelled awful. Removed the dead one, and did a 30% water change. No filter running and no air stone. Managed to go to the HFF in Mt Roskill and picked up a sponge filter with air pump to at least get something going, and left instructions for daily 10% water changes until the water smelled more "sea" like, and until they could organise a larger tank. They had a seachem ammonia meter in another tank ( a large Rio where 5 goldfish had perished and was not being used as it apparently leaks ) and I moved it to this fish bowl. Ammonia read 0, but who knows how old the meter was.

I also visited Auckland shops last week - was planning on a grand tour (similar to the ones I did years ago when I'd visit both Hollywoods, Pupuke, and numerous Jansen's (getting all the way up to the Silverdale one) along with somtime visits to Bird Barn and Massey Pets).

- Tried to get to Aquavillage but heaps of roadworks out the front (then reading here it seems shop is gone/relocated/closed down?).

- On to HFF Mt Roskill - always a good stop to make, pretty well spent my entire budget there.

- Called in at Animates Mt Eden - not far from HFF so may as well call in on the off chance. I guess I still remember the days when it was a Jansen's, so it's always a little sad wandering around the (reduced) fish section - though the display tank looked good. My impression was that the lighting on many of the tanks made them seem a bit dreary.

Since I'd already spent most of my budget I decided to forgo the rest of the tour and head back home.