Oh my....

I only had a few tanks but quite a few lazy students. They liked to leave things on and were forever cold and instead of putting on more clothes they would crank up the heaters and leave the bloody windows open :an!gry

My new house is much better, havn't had my 1st bill yet so hoping its much less. Ive always found my tanks don't use much power anyway.

$800. but fish tanks do not use really much power as will need about 200 tanks for the aprox equal to one 25000 watt normal type floor standing heater ?. Big power cost is hot water cylinders, Ovens, Floor heaters, Fridge freezers. cloths dryers etc.

When I had a purpose built, well insulated fish house with about 60 tanks it was heated with a one bar heater on a thermostat and a fan rewired to run all the time. The heater hardley ever came on. If you have a lot of tanks with a lot of water it acts as a heat sink. It takes very little heat to heat the air.

Yes, agreed. Most of my bill come from the new addition to my family. Constant electric heaters, dehum, jug being boiled, hot washes with washing machine and all the other bits that go along with it.

My normal wintertime bill is about $300.00.

I don't have a proper fish room, just a room full of tanks with no extra insulation.

Well it must be because my 4yo keeps turning the heater on all the time when she doesn't need it and when she could just put a jumper on :facepalm: :roll: I'm forever walking into the lounge and turning it off. We've also used it quite a bit in the last month... it's been pretty cold. So I unplugged it and put it away. Also I have used the clothes dryer a bit lately and we have been using the electric blanket on occasion .... that's Winter for you :(

Hopefully our next power bill will be better.

I thought heat pumps were supposed to use less power than a normal heater? We are considering getting a heat pump. If it's going to save power then we will. :dunno:

supasi - i hear ya! babies eat up your power lol. we are used to $150 power bill, we changed compaines and got a $590! i almost had kittens. but we have a dehumidfier going heaps, heatpump, oil heater in our room so that hasnt helped. this month we only had the heatpump on when we needed, oil heater on only at night and open windows instead of dehumidfier. its dropped it about $100, i thought it would of dropped more. :dunno:

aquariumbeginner32 - heatpumps are more economical .....but only when cooling and not all the time with heating. if you do get one it pays to find out what is the best setting&temp to run it at and only have it on when you really need too. they are great as they heat up a room quickly. ive lived in houses with and without heatpumped and id rather have one. oh and its good to have a back up (eg fire etc) if the power goes out! :facepalm:

The absolute max my tank could cost per month is about $120/month. depending on unit price of course. That's all the pumps on, all the lights on and the heater on full 24 hours/day all month. Of course, lights are only on about 12 hours, heater is on maybe a total of a couple hours/day max.

Edit: Just checked our rate, 19 cents/kwh so that makes it an absolute max of $77. More realistically I'd say it's in the $20/month range.

I leave my heater on all day. Maybe I should start turning it off. But if I have tropical fish eg fancy guppies then unless I left it on 24/7 the water wouldn't stay at 25-27C for very long. But I have no experience here so maybe I'm wrong :dunno: I also have my Bubbilo pump going 24/7.

We are with Genesis. We pay 23.54 cents per unit and 33.33 cents daily for just having the power connection/contract. Just the GST alone was over $54 :o :an!gry