Another large aftershock in ChCh

Adrienne

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had stuff fall over but only a speaker was damaged lost plenty of water out of the temporary marine tank but thankfully not as bad as last time but that may be because there isnt much left to fall this time, my freind with the SA cichlid tank had all 4 glass lids fall in and smash and lost about 100l of water to the carpet but the tank is intact thankfully. i now work in hornby and only two things fell off a shelf . the 5.5 wasnt very bad out there 1 person went home and no-one even got up from their seats the 6 however turned work into a skeleton shift .

Back on line again after shakey shakey. Destroyed two thermostats again with water splashing everywhere. That Sumner fault sure is sharp and viscious. Hoping to get all my submersed plants to the petshop in the next couple of days assuming it is not munted. Emersed no problems at the moment. Iraq is becoming atractive at the moment. Would the last person left in Christchurch please turn out the lights.

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/top-stories/9642231/increased-risk-of-big-quake-for-canterbury/

However, Monday's quakes meant the chance of a magnitude 6.0 - 6.9 earthquake in Canterbury within 12 months had been recalculated at 30 percent.

Ordinarily a 30% chance wouldn't worry me, but they predicted a similar chance of the 6 and we got a 6.3...of course that was on another fault line... :roll: Scientifically these fault lines do have a tendency to under perform and then over perform the modeled predictions which means a 7 could be entirely possible.

Seriously, it is a good idea to start quake-proofing if you haven't done so already. Emergency kits with water disinfectants and toileting implements would be helpful. In terms of the fish, battery powered air pumps will work wonders to run sponge filters in the short term which can help to keep water chemistry stable if we have no water supply. Those of us with power can provide heat for keeping fish alive so keep in touch with other fish people in your area. Gather some extra buckets, nets and plastic tubs to house fish if their glass tanks fail. Extra food would be useful - we know what happened to all the stores in the last big one. :(

With all the movement around here, I wouldn't be surprised if things started to shift in other parts of the country. Let's all take note of the warnings and do a little bit to prepare - it can't hurt!

They lost their turtle tank as well. Turtle is here now. They had only moved into new home a few days before this quake. No broken tanks in last flat, got a much better house...and lost all their tanks :tears: Lifes hard work at the moment in CHCH. I had to go out to a school in New Brighton to collect another turtle today.....its virtually unrecognisable over there :(:(

Didn't get much sleep but thankfuly didn't throw water out of the tanks. Have got rid of all the fish and plants so now better get rid of the water. Have been told we will need to remove everything from the house so they can repair it but being their usual helpful selves they have no idea when that will be. New task ---empty tanks ready for removal and relocate reptiles.

i just sat it out, it felt quite small in the eastern suburbs not even water loss from the tanks, some people are out of power though in burnside and avonhead.

but it wasnt big enough for uni to have to be closed :( exam tomorrow and here i am procrastinating on a fish forum... :cofn: