Another large aftershock in ChCh

Adrienne

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5.5 is a bit bigger then most.... :facepalm:

It was a long, rolling one. You can tell those ones come from the fault line that goes through Rolleston (Sept quake), and the sharp 'bouncing' ones come from the direction of the Lyttleton faultline (Feb quake). It certainly sent lots of things swinging and water waves in tanks and over basking areas...but none on the floor :happy2:

We're fine in Cashmere. Didn't think it felt as big as others, but that's probably because we're pretty close to the Lyttleton fault which produces much sharper jolts. Nothing moved in our house, even the full fish tanks stayed put with no water loss.

I was OK as I was in Tauranga. My partner was home and said things went OK, but daughter in Templeton (between Rolleston and Christchurch) dived under the table. I think people in Rolleston would have got a shakeup. We have only had 6000 aftershocks--better than the amusement park and half the price. As he gets set to move out of the house with all the furniture and animals so they can do some repairs.

slept through it without even knowing we had one until the second rumble about 5pm

They are always at the worst times, I have a stats exam today between 3-5 so it would be ideal for it to have happend them.

And another. Was Skyping Jen and she said it was a big one and now has water everywhere. You all OK?

Universal Time June 13 2011 at 1:00

NZ Standard Time Monday, June 13 2011 at 1:00 pm

Latitude, Longitude 43.58°S, 172.78°E

Focal Depth 11 km

Richter magnitude 5.5

Region Canterbury

10 km east of Lyttelton

10 km north-east of Diamond Harbour

10 km east of Christchurch

It's days like these I'm glad my tank is still only 75% full.... Apparently there's no power on my side of town :/

Antwan & flatmates tanks have only spilt a little bit. When will he learn to not put the powerpoints right below the tank with no drip loops :roll:

University has been evacuated :(

that was a pretty decent one

i was watching my fish breed when it struck so i held on to their tanks as if my life depended on it. the bublenests fell apart and the eggs dropped out... hopefully father will not eat them.

power went out for a while

hopefully exams will be postponed :roey:

Even my half full tanks lost water in those ones. :roey: In fact, even my big daphnia tank which is only a third full, had some major sploshing - good thing it lives outside. Had some damage and broken things but all tanks are still standing. Ever so grateful for European bracing and solid wooden stands.

These ones seem to be coming from that fault over by Sumner which broke world records for ground acceleration. Up to its same old tricks today...I'm feeling rather drained.

Gareth was sent home. He reports a lot of mess as everything has come off shelves but nothing broken. Water from tanks again all over carpet.

Dena had a partial ceiling collapse at her temporary workplace but it destroyed a computer, not a person.

Thank goodness you don't have tsunamis as well!!! :tears: