5000L Native tank log (Te Manawa)

Foxjxa

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tank was made by a company in Napier, I can't remember the name just now. Also the top bracing is not strips stuck on, but a whole panel from which several large port-holes have been cut, through which Foxjxa can climb when she wants a swim ;)

I think it would have to be filled with hot lead for it to bow! ;)

There is a massive chiller set to 14*C for the moment, and a great big sump and filtration system installed by Mahurangi.

The next lot of fish have been in salty quarantine for a week and are looking REALLY good. With any luck in another two weeks there will be four big banded kokopu, 12 bullies and 3 smelt added to the tank :happy1:

i think it may be closer to 300mm thick

The thickness off kelly s on the water front in auck is only 75-100mm or a little more thick acrylic. I have a peace of it some where I should do a measure.

Acrylic Sheet thickness.

Yes I can see how its made etc very very easy to Make.

Very beautiful. What that sort of $ cost on the acrylic fabrication.

We used to have $45 charge out rates per hour + tax + costs etc. At the same time Kelleys old crew were at $99 +.aprox 10 years ago. Must be charge out $150-200 these days.

I would do it again in this scale for $80 +++ Any one wanting my services. Rich homes needing this sort of work in Auckland. TNG etc etc etc. That might be to cheap. $80. I can also do folds at max 3000mm you will get fully polished edges to. Wood plastic or steel do the lot no out work charges.

Very beautiful. What that sort of $ cost on the acrylic fabrication.

We used to have $45 charge out rates per hour + tax + costs etc. At the same time Kelleys old crew were at $99 +.aprox 10 years ago.

I would do it again in this scale for $80 +++ Any one wanting my services. Rich homes needing this sort of work in Auckland. TNG etc etc etc. That might be to cheap. $80. I can also do folds at max 3000mm

!drool: !drool:

Yes I think I will! Not this weekend cause im in TGA, but after that.

I kinda like that tank. I also kinda enjoyed getting my feet wet as a crawled around the tank arranging things. But that rock has to go. Infact it will go. And can we get some sand? And some more wood. Need more wood. Leaf litter is no point - it'll just get blown away and the tank will become too dark - then again, the carbon in the filter will sort that out.

'Advice' is the right word. I get a little carried away when it comes to plants and planting things :lol: :oops:

Very impressive, beautiful, strong tank too. Supported all 6'5'' of me :lol:

The plant you have in their is the best. The shrimps, crabs, Dragon fly and tiny little baby crayfish love it in their natural. When its established it will take over the tank. would be a great seller but pays to get out by the roots. Or not as successfully in growth. When established it will also handle a current well. Only problem the creeks have in the cities is when they go threw and do a stream clear of the natural little dams etc. Clear all the banks replant them after their left bare from stripping out all the natural seeded natives. Winter comes and all its protection from the hard winter currents are gone. Along with all the rate payers money in the replant & With it 99.9% of the life in the creak is to. 10 years later it might be back in full again. hahaha Now all they got left is 10 miles of creak that looks like a 10 mile long brown crud. hahaha the intelligence.

The plant you have in their is the best. The shrimps, crabs, Dragon fly and tiny little baby crayfish love it in their natural. When its established it will take over the tank. would be a great seller but pays to get out by the roots. Or not as successfully in growth. When established it will also handle a current well."

The 'plant' is a Nitella, which is actually an algae (no differentiated tissue, so no roots, leaves, flowers etc). It does 'root' itself into the substrate, and can hold on quite tight, but the tissue is the same as the rest of it.

It does certainly rock as an aquarium plant though! Doesn't mind low light, and forms a great tangled mass that fish love resting in. Would be good for fry too.

I have heaps of it here, always do, if anyone wants to come pick some up for free! :)

Totally agree with you about urban streams. I would love to actually sit down with some river engineers one day and try to understand what their logic is! Fighting nature only creates more problems.

What did this cost you good people to have made.?

I have over 33 years in plastic fabrication. No job to big no job to small mass production to One of Creation.

NEW ZEALAND'S No1 Plastic fabricators.

DISPLAYS LTD ( Mother company), MULTI-STYLES DISPLAYS LTD, MULTI-STYLES PLASTICS LTD, MULTI-STYLES TUBE & WIRE LTD. CUT TO SIZE PLASTIC ETC ETC ETC. PLASTIC, WOODS CUSTOM BOARDS , METALS & ALL PAINT FINISHES.

MUSEUM SHOW CASES, AQUATIC, BOAT WINDOWS MARINE, RACE CAR WINDOWS, SECURITY WINDOWS AND GRILLS, RETAIL MERCHANDISING,

DESIGN & MANUFACTURE,

REPAIR & RECONDITIONING SERVICE also available.

BRIMSTONE SALES & MARKETING NZ LTD. REG: Brand name & Trade Mark in affordable fashion. BRIMSTONE. [email protected]

DIRECTOR: ZANE T YOUNG

No idea what it cost, but I know I'm glad I wasn't the one forking up for it!

The fishies are really settling in now, with Lefty the koura always putting on a show at feeding time. It's so neat to watch! :happy2:

No idea what it cost, but I know I'm glad I wasn't the one forking up for it!

The fishies are really settling in now, with Lefty the koura always putting on a show at feeding time. It's so neat to watch! :happy2:

Their lovely creatures alright. I spent from the age of 10 at the creak by myself most summer weekends and nights. Catching all the water life. Your tank will look magnificent when all in full glory.

Have you got lots of the big black native snails and the slugs etc as well. I havent seen the big native snails for years in the creaks I visit.

Well see no life their now after they did the twin stream total destruction replant in Henderson. 1 eel hiding in a clump of plant in the middle of the creak.

Sorry, haven't added any native snails as yet - I'm not even sure if Stella's seen any whilst out and about on her hunting trips?

There aren't public feedings everyday, yet, as both the other keeper and I are usually only around after hours on weekdays. However, Saturdays and Sundays I'm starting to host public feedings starting at 3pm for the mudfish and native fish aquariums. Today I'll be testing out little locusts on the mudfish along with their usual food. You're more than welcome to come along and join in if you're interested.

:happy2: