5000L Native tank log (Te Manawa)

Foxjxa

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm I hadn't thought about snails. (Definitely a fan of getting other native critters in there though!)

Are you meaning the Melanopsis trifasciata snails? (They are up to 25mm, dark outer with a white mantle, an operculum (thin brown 'cat's eye'), and a smooth short cone with three dark bands (tri-fasciate) around it.) I would love to know if they are in the Manawatu estuary, or anywhere nearby. The only sites I know are Raglan and Lake Onoke.

We are trying to keep it to animals collected from the Manawatu catchment, but it would be neat to have them if they are local.

Should definitely get some Potamopyrgus snails (standard stream snails) but they are tiny and tend to live within the gravels. Should also get a bunch of shrimp from time to time, although they will get eaten.

What do you mean by the native slugs?

[edit]

Threw the kids in the car and had a look saturday afternoon. quite impressive! all the fish must've been hiding when i was there :slfg: Removing that white crap off the log didnt look loke much fun for the person doing it :lol:

:slfg:

That was me!! And no, it was not fun at all! I almost decided to take the log out and biff it, but Lefty the crayfish was in danger of being squashed if I disturbed the large rocks too much at the time... So it stays, for now.

I hate mould.

On another note, there were a bunch of families following me around asking questions about all the fishies yesterday, it was good fun! Especially when one of the little dudes had a go at hand-feeding the mudfish and squealed when it took the food. Heh. They also seemed to enjoy the locusts, yay!

Answer to the snails

It has been a while since I have seen them. Last lot were in my tank 30 years ago. But yes your description dose sound right.

Slugs. The little water slugs.

These creaks & flood plains were or are the home to many life that only exists or has evolved their. Which stopped the building of the small flood lower plains. Unfortunate ONLY on my fathers old land and next doors were saved. Lucky I was home that day to show the natural environment man some of the creatures. Or it to would be built on. Also was historic for the blood spilt in tribe wars ? spiritual lands. I am to be leave as have been told it was the place. True / False ? Maybe the unique creatures were formed by mighty souls. ?

Lot of latest homes in Henderson Valley built on BLOOD.

As I say the creak they used to live in was decimated 20 years ago with a creak and bush clear & after 20 years had just came back. But they just did the twin creak replant. Striped all native regrowth and what is essential for a successfully replant into to flourish the summer before last. Then replanted. Winter came washed every thing away as striped of natural protection banks the replant and 99.9% of life in the creak even the little snails. It was still destroyed end of this summer with only a clump of plant and 1 eel left. So much more will be destroyed this winter.

It is quite hard case as I was their 10 years after the first clear and it actually had a young NATIVE forest growing back as the opening had also aloud the big native trees reseeding to come up threw the fresh undergrowth. Not any more.

In the new spring I will check it out but I think will be another 20 years to re grow.

If all dose not end up being concreted. As the councils do love a nice green image in Henderson. Money to be spent & made comes first.

I will check further up as they might not have done so much damage in replant as down in last lower valley.

It was the home to many creatures that could only be found their. If find will collect and bring down on one of my journeys. As the way thing are looking for nature in this country might only have safe haven in ZOOS under the watch full eyes like your self and people like minded.

Are you meaning the Melanopsis trifasciata snails? (They are up to 25mm, dark outer with a white mantle, an operculum (thin brown 'cat's eye'), and a smooth short cone with three dark bands (tri-fasciate) around it.) I would love to know if they are in the Manawatu estuary, or anywhere nearby. The only sites I know are Raglan and Lake Onoke.

Stella, where abouts in Raglan?

Wouldn't mind something that my large Inanga and koura wont eat. The small Potamogeton snails don't last very long in my large tank :(

Stella, where abouts in Raglan?

Ummm coastal from Hamilton.... ish. West coast.

Wouldn't mind something that my large Inanga and koura wont eat. The small Potamogeton snails don't last very long in my large tank :(

The Melanopsis lay a lot of eggs when you first take them into captivity, but I am not sure if they need estaurine conditions to grow or not. Would be awesome if they could be captive bred as they are beautiful snails. Very sensitive to cyanobacteria toxins though. Actually I wonder if that could lead to loss of them in the wild?

I had Potamopyrgus snails in my tank but never saw them as they lived underneath the gravel. Only knew they were there when I sucked them up doing waterchanges. I can't remember if the populations was killed by the cyano toxins or the eythromyacin to kill the cyano.

(At Te Manawa there is a great big child-climbable fibreglass Potamopyrgus with spines.)

Used to find most all over the old fallen tree branches etc in the creaks which also is the main housing for the kouras as well. Live really well in tanks longer then any fancy snails I ever brought. Very hardy. Like most NZ creak life. If their around you should be able to find the eggs before the snail very different looking the most.

pretty sure (may be wrong) a koura would take on the biggest snail it could find.

That is most probably why it was so hard to find the big snails with perfect shells . Their pretty thick black shells on these ones. But they were well feed kouras in this creak. It was just spawning heaven. Over abundance of all. The perfect eco system. Was very beautiful within a 50metre you would have fast moving part then not so deep to a side full of muscles then deep into a slow moving water in open full sunlight with all the Nutelia ? either side full of every creature then little dams and fallen branches etc then into another lot of green sunlit area. just full. never saw any one their hardly ever never. 10 metres from our back fence. The English pointers would nut out if was and we all be off usually some one trying to poach a sheep. Shot gun. How the west was won. You don't get to many trespasses.

pretty sure (may be wrong) a koura would take on the biggest snail it could find.

ah that is the clever thing about these guys - their shell is seriously thick, they have an operculum (cat's eye) which securely closes the door, and they don't stick their 'foot' out much beyond their shell. I doubt that crays could do much to them.

where abouts in Raglan did you find the Melanopsis trifasciata, not where abouts do you find Raglan :facepalm:

:slfg: :oops:

Estuarine areas, and very-lowland streams I think.

I haven't been able to find out much about them, not much work been done on them. The distribution of the family is bizarre - Mediterranean, Asia Minor, New Caledonia and New Zealand?? And our species is endemic.

Would be great to see some phylogenetic work done on them, see if they are indeed in the same family or if it is convergent evolution. And if they are in the same family how long ago did they diverge?

The latest batch of fish went in yesterday - 12 new bullies and 5 banded kokopu. It is really nicely stocked now. The next priority is inanga, and later on will get some torrentfish.

The fish had only been in the tank for an hour at most when these photos were taken, so they were fairly quiet. I saw them again six hours later and they were patrolling up and down the tank looking fabulous :)

2011_06_21TeManawa80Medium.jpg

2011_06_21TeManawa22Medium.jpg

2011_06_21TeManawa32Medium.jpg

2011_06_21TeManawa6Medium.jpg

2011_06_21TeManawa52Medium.jpg

Check out the huge yawn in the back row!! ;)

2011_06_21TeManawa57Medium.jpg

LOL it is swarming with redfins! I didn't realise we had *quite* so many till last night.

If we need any more bullies I am officially banning myself from getting any more redfins! :sage:

There are also commons, Cran's and maybe some uplands in there.

i think kokopu are some of the most awesome fish ever. don't you love it how our native fish all look so... kiwi!!

:love: yeah :love:

Aaah I didn't see any! Will have to look back through the thread, its hard to catch up with all this. A week off the forums means 2 weeks reading to catch up.

Cran's and Redfins are beautiful fish, I can't wait to see a pic of the torrent fish when you get them. I love the bottom pic, there is a face up the back with its mouth open, so cute. Almost looks like its doing the ol "chur bro" head tilt in the reflection.

Yeap, the tank's full of redfins at the moment, though I just realised I haven't taken any photos of a male yet! There are so many to choose from now I should manage to get one next time I'm in.

I also posted a photo of a redfin female back on page two. :) The girls must like to show off.