The What's Up? thread.

SamH

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just chilling watching my platy give birth to some random coloured babies and a bird crashed in to the window. :(

So i've just spent heaps of time outside searching for it just in case it was really hurt, out in the pouring rain but it appears to have flown away, so yay for the big blackbird.

Back to watching the birth of more babies to add to the 50ish i'm already growing up and don't want to part with because they're super cute.

And here I was only really keeping platies so I could cut down on tanks. :thup: :facepalm:

Saw people arriving at the neighbours with fireworks so i'm about to go and hunt my cats down and keep them inside all night and cross my fingers my dog doesn't go crazy.

This is the one weekend of the year I cannot stand!

Yeah, we're doing pretty much the same but without cats. One of our dogs (the girl :roll:) goes mental and tries everything to hide/run away. The other tends to ignore it all and go to sleep.

My dog barked like crazy, and now he's just lying on the couch looking at me with his 'when will it end?' face.

My 16 year old cat has taken to hiding under the couch. :(

As much as I LOOOOVE fireworks I think they should ban sales and just do big public displays.

I do think fireworks at home are entirely different and much more fun, maybe it would be good to have designated fireworks areas or hours though so that they won't just keep going all the time. I never watch public fireworks displays in newzealand only set them off at homes with friends. Apparently with pets, I heard that the less you try and comfort them in regards to scary things like thunderstorms and fireworks, the better they'll end up coping them. Apparently this is because to them, if they are getting comforted, it kinda enforces the idea that it must be something to be scared of, whereas if you ignore it and act like it's something normal, your pets might look and see that you aren't bothered by it and soon learn to ignore it too. That probably won't work for every scary thing and every pet, but the concept made sense to me when I first heard about it.

Oh yea, here's an example I just found regarding dogs and fireworks: http://dogs.about.com/od/dogbehaviorproblems/a/fireworks-phobias-in-dogs.htm

He barked because the big boom noises must have sounded like someone knocking on the door or something. He actually likes watching them from a distance. Weirdo. But this a dog that barks and runs to the door when someone rings the doorbell on TV. We don't even have a doorbell. :facepalm:

I just left the cats to it, after 16 years the older one is pretty much over it (and a bit deaf), she just goes to her happy place. I just worry that her little old heart will give in or something because each year they seem to get louder. Or maybe I just get older and more irritable?