May 23, 201115 yr comment_436034 Hi there, I am getting 20 shrimp from a person I know and was going to pay them $20.00 for their effort. So can I pay them $20.00 or is that illegal and so I have to give them a gift instead? Report
May 23, 201115 yr comment_436046 koura may legally be gathered for personal consumption up to a limit of 50 crayfish per day. However, the selling, trading or ...Shrimp fall under the same rules as far as I know Report
May 23, 201115 yr comment_436063 There is a guy on TM that has been selling them for weeks at $5 each :-? Report
May 23, 201115 yr comment_436080 Yeah I saw that too. But it sounds like he breeds them. Bit too dear for me to buy though Report
May 23, 201115 yr comment_436098 Yeah I saw that too. But it sounds like he breeds them. Bit too dear for me to buy though Pretty sure you cannot legally breed and sell them either without some fancy expensive permit.. Report
May 24, 201115 yr comment_436112 Hi there, I am getting 20 shrimp from a person I know and was going to pay them $20.00 for their effort. So can I pay them $20.00 or is that illegal and so I have to give them a gift instead? Maybe you could pay him $20 petrol money? Report
May 24, 201115 yr comment_436144 I recall Stella posting something along the lines of it is ok to sell them if you have breed them. just not to go out, catch them, them sell your catch. They all say they have breed them online but I thought they needed marine water to breed which was why they are found mostly in eastrys. But yea just give them it as petrol money Report
May 25, 201115 yr comment_436228 I recall Stella posting something along the lines of it is ok to sell them if you have breed them. just not to go out, catch them, them sell your catch. They all say they have breed them online but I thought they needed marine water to breed which was why they are found mostly in eastrys. But yea just give them it as petrol money Wanted to find out what the deal was, so emailed MAF and got this answer re: shrimp on TM: Fisheries management advisors have indicated that there are no sustainability issues relating to freshwater shrimp. There may be an issue about the species being collected from the wild and subsequently sold however it is clear that these are being bred by the advertiser and the numbers sold are at a very low level. So there you go. Report
May 25, 201115 yr comment_436279 yea I ask one of them and he said he did but didn't sound very convincing Report
May 25, 201115 yr comment_436282 i am also a non-believer. A photo of a gravid shrimp does not make you a breeder :roll: But I think its more about the numbers - at $5 per shrimp he won't sell enough to really worry MAF at all. If people were selling in the thousands and to a large number of people then it might be a different story. Report
May 25, 201115 yr comment_436325 Id pay $20 for one shrimp :dunno: :roll: They are not that hard to find, just get a net :dunno: Report
May 26, 201115 yr Author comment_436503 I might just get them a petrol voucher then as it is really just to say thankyou for getting them. Report
May 26, 201115 yr comment_436506 Looking at the history on trademe, he actually sold alot for $5 each, looks like hes starting up his shrimp business. But seriously thats way to overpriced they are pretty much common in any clean waterway. Report
May 28, 201115 yr comment_436753 They are not that hard to find, just get a net :dunno: and find a creek. Report
May 28, 201115 yr comment_436765 Finding a net finding a creek you guys are making it sound like hard work I like shrimp but not that much :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :evil: Report
May 28, 201115 yr comment_436768 We aren't alooud any tropical shrimp species in NZ. I think once apon a time we did but that was a while ago. Report
May 31, 201115 yr comment_437342 hey slightly :smot: BUT... has any one had problems with guppies and shrimp? thinking of putting a few males uin with mine. 23L lots of places to hide Report
June 13, 201115 yr comment_440032 Hi ,this may seem a bit weird replying to an old post but would anyone know if or where I could get hold of some shrimp in christchurch? Thank you!! Report
June 14, 201115 yr comment_440144 YAY! for anyone wanting freshwater shrimp in christchurch I went to the Cam river in rangiora and took a net,must have scooped like 100 haha theyre so cute! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.