Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

dwarf puffer

Featured Replies

does anybody have first hand experience of the temperment of dwarf puffers?

wanting to put one in my community tank but i got told they can be quite aggressive

does anybody have first hand experience of the temperment of dwarf puffers?

wanting to put one in my community tank but i got told they can be quite aggressive

Yes, they can be. Very.

That's assuming you mind finding tetras with their tails bit off and throats bit out occasionally.

i hve a red eye female in a 4ft tank with t bars firemouth texus and a angel fish at first there was nipped tails and fins but now they seam to be ok and the t bars r even breeding

In my experience, when a dwarf puffer feels like a snack, especially in the middle of the night, no one is safe and that includes other dwarf puffers :roll:

In my experience, when a dwarf puffer feels like a snack, especially in the middle of the night, no one is safe and that includes other dwarf puffers :roll:

I agree. I loved feeding them when I had them and they were plenty fun to watch since they actually seem curious about you, but man are they mean fish. They'll attack other fish the first chance they'd get, or at least the 2 I had would, I even had to separate mine since one was being picked on heaps.

I agree. I loved feeding them when I had them and they were plenty fun to watch since they actually seem curious about you, but man are they mean fish. They'll attack other fish the first chance they'd get, or at least the 2 I had would, I even had to separate mine since one was being picked on heaps.

Those are the two I am talking about. When I acquired them off you they disposed of the other puffers in the tank. Just picked them off over time.

dwarf puffers really need to be in a species only tank. They look so cute, but are way aggressive. You could have them with otto's or bumble bee gobies, some people have some luck with bristlenose, but it would be a fish massacre if you out them in a community tank.

Brazilian puffers are probably the best of the dwarf puffers. They're supposed to be the least aggressive, but mine would still take out a tetra every month or so. But, I think he only got the weak and slow ones.

I had 2 female dwarf puffers in a 250l with some danios and corys with a few plants,not heavily planted with no problems. Well none till the earthquake that broke that tank. I lost one of the puffers then but the other is now living in another planted 250l with CPD's and small rainbows of all sizes. She has not bit anyone so far but I'm not holding my breath once all the snails are gone. Not that I think they would bite to feed rather just bite due to being hungry angry. I would like to get her back into another tank as she struggles to get any worms away from the Furcata rainbows they are fat guts :wink:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.