How much time do you spend on your fish?

oneeyedfrog

Fish inside get fed every 3 or 4 days (if I think of it) although my young platies have been fed daily up until now. As I am away (in sunny Golden Bay) at the moment, they will go 3 days without food.

I do a water change once every 3 months or so (takes about half an hour to do 3 tanks) and the occasional top up due to evaporation in summer. Filters get cleaned out once a year or so.

The pond fish get fed once a day during the summer months, most days, just so I can sit and watch them while I have my cuppa.

where abouts in Golden Bay are you? It's a great place. We did the pupu hydro walkway when I was there at xmas and had a beer at the Collingwood pub.... the day before they had the massive floods :-?

Adrienne - do your inside tanks each get 2-3 water changes a week? :o

I think I spend around 2 hours a day, feeding etc. It's hard to tell really :)

Neon I am back home now but was at Paton's Rock. I will be posting a link to my Photobucket pics when I get them organised.

We went to Pupu Springs, Farewell Spit, Wharariki Beach, The Naked Possum, Wainui Falls and walked some of the Kaituna Track. We also visited a number of the other beaches around Takaka. We went to the old Salisbury swing bridge that was destroyed in the floods. Unbelieveable how high the water level must have been, and how strong the current. There is still a lot of mess everywhere and a lot of road works as they repair the damage. The springs and all the other waterways are as pristine as usual and look lovely.

Here is an interesting note for those who get upset at innappropriate housing for fish...

The people we stayed with have a small goldfish tank in the games room. It would be about 40cm x 30 x 30 and has 2 goldfish about 10cm long in it. The water gets changes every few months when it "looks dirty". They fill a bucket with water, plonk the fish in it, totally empty and scrub out the tank (no soap used) and refill it. There is no filtration, light (no plants) or air pump. The fish are fed daily. When we saw them the fish were gasping lightly at the surface as it was a hot day but did not appear overly stressed. They look otherwise healthy. This tank is the only home they have ever known.

These goldfish are 20 years old.

Neon I am back home now but was at Paton's Rock. I will be posting a link to my Photobucket pics when I get them organised.

We went to Pupu Springs, Farewell Spit, Wharariki Beach, The Naked Possum, Wainui Falls and walked some of the Kaituna Track. We also visited a number of the other beaches around Takaka. We went to the old Salisbury swing bridge that was destroyed in the floods. Unbelieveable how high the water level must have been, and how strong the current. There is still a lot of mess everywhere and a lot of road works as they repair the damage. The springs and all the other waterways are as pristine as usual and look lovely.

Here is an interesting note for those who get upset at innappropriate housing for fish...

The people we stayed with have a small goldfish tank in the games room. It would be about 40cm x 30 x 30 and has 2 goldfish about 10cm long in it. The water gets changes every few months when it "looks dirty". They fill a bucket with water, plonk the fish in it, totally empty and scrub out the tank (no soap used) and refill it. There is no filtration, light (no plants) or air pump. The fish are fed daily. When we saw them the fish were gasping lightly at the surface as it was a hot day but did not appear overly stressed. They look otherwise healthy. This tank is the only home they have ever known.

These goldfish are 20 years old.

Wow that's a great goldfish survival story! Hope you took pics :D

I love Wharariki Beach..... Once we saw some baby seals there, playing while their mum's were out fishing. They were so cute.

I met a goldfish that was found lying on a pile of turds sieved out at the Fielding sewage 'treatment' plant. It survived. The surprising thing is it is a kinda fancy one with headgrowth - wouldn't have thought fancy goldies were at all robust.

I have two 4ft, a 3ft and a 2ft tank. They get weekly waterchanges and algae scraped off the glass. I guess it takes about an hour a week. Draining the water through the hose takes a long time for some tanks but I can just leave them to do their thing while I go off and do something else. The siphon breaks when the right amount of water is removed.