6 foot planted tank

antwan

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it is to do with the kelvin rating of the lights? Antwan's 2 MH bulbs are both 6,700K, and P44 uses 4x 54watt T5HO PowerGlo tubes, which are 18,000K. So the plant may grow better and have the distinctive smell under a higher kelvin light?

Also the spread of light on Antwan's tank is less than that of P44's tank, because the tank is bigger and only has two MH, and P44's tank (200liters) is smaller but has all those PowerGlos, and has about 1watt of light per liter. The PowerGlos also run just about the whole length of the tank.

Antwan, maybe you could try adding another halide between the other two?

They're about 35cm from the water's surface. As you can see from the first pic in this thread there is a "V" at the top in the centre, that's where the light doesn't reach with as much intensity as the rest of the tank (still reasonably well lit though). The right hand side light isn't quite as high as the left one because the holes in the metal frame wouldn't allow it, but I might try force them through after lights out tonight. That will make the V a bit smaller.

Any closer and it makes it a bit difficult I reckon. I planted some plants right at the back in the centre yesterday and got a hot cheek from the lights almost touching my face. But that's me being lazy and not turning the lights off or moving them.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to fill out a bit. Thanks to the help of Jen the new ferts have been going in (getting Iron soon) and the growth is reallly starting to show in the green pine and stargrass (have already been trimmed a couple of times), they are motoring.

Discus laid eggs last night :facepalm:

IMG_2228.jpg

yea got half a brown face and half a white face now. Will have to plant some plants from the other side to even it out :D

talk about a half-cast. lookin really good ant. nice big tank ay bro. yea go to the metal hallides!! go the discus! you could always sell the pair dude :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think I will replace the bulb in the right light. But here's a few more pics as it's nice to see a bit of progress. The red barclaya is finally starting to come back after near-fully melting after it went in. Only took 2 months...

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

And some close-ups:

Hemianthus micranthemoides, one of my favourites in a big clump.

6.jpg

Ludwigia glandulosa, just starting to get a nice red-purple colour

5.jpg

Rotala macrandra

4.jpg

Apparently my flatmates sat for 3 1/2 hours the other night watching the discus laying so I'm happy I'm not the only one that enjoys it :D

For anyone interested (I know I am with other people's setups) this tank has cost me about $2-2.5k with doing a few things cheaply (lights, filters).