6 foot planted tank

antwan

After my trip up north and seeing all the amazing planted tanks of fellow fnzas members Adrienne and Neon I decided to convert the geo tank and make it into a planted tank. Got another halide over it (thanks ryanjury), pressurised CO2, and dumped a load more sand and aquatic mix in. Took a trip to the west coast and came back with a boot load of wood to choose from too :) . So, here's the layout, hopefully with all the CO2, ferts, light etc it will do really well.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

and the biggest of the discus

IMG_2118.jpg

There's some dwarf hairgrass on trademe but I think that may ruin it...not sure. In a few of the gaps there are plants that will grow larger, but I'd like to include the standard amazon sword into it somewhere, maybe on the very left midgrounds.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's awesome man. put one of those monster swords in there too. I'm stoked with the amount of light you're getting from the 2 halides - seems mine will be good with the same setup.

It would be cool, but then the halide has to be higher and the sword blocks out half the tanks light.

looking nice! whats the plant far left corner?

Looks like L. Aromatica 'green' to me.

__

Tank is looking good. Only, if you are running an airstone; run it at night and not during the day when the CO2 is on.

Where the discus from? Those blue ones have a snakeskin gene! :D

No idea what the plant is sorry, Neon gave me a bunch of clippings from her tank and that was in it, I've never seen it before but I like it. I have a book and it looks a lot like Ludwigia inclinata 'Green'.

http://www.floridaaquatic.com/aquarium_ ... green.html

Yea I went out and bought some new sand, and I guess I bought a bit much, but chucked it in anyway. There's 12 panda cories in there so I may have a go at breeding them at some stage and increase the numbers. Bichirs would be cool, but too big

Those halides are shop fittings, I got the first one about 5-6 years ago from my work for about $70 and the second from ryan for $40. Bulbs are about $15ea (6700k) from www.fish-street.com . So basically, they work out cheaper than getting a whole set of t5's, are much brighter, and I share the power bill between 5 other people so it's all good :) Only downside is they don't look as good, but I don't really care, it's what's 30cm below that counts :D

Those halides are good, tidy way to mount them Antwan :hail:

Mine say on the ballast, not to have cord longer than a meter from ballast to the light....is your the same or not?

so it does :lol: but one has been running on 2-3m for 3ish years and no problems so meh. I don't know where I'd stick the ballasts (other than on top of the tank :-? ) if the cords were to be shorter than 1m.

I just went to bunnings and that looked to be the cheapest way to mount them, I was quite pleased with how easy it was too.

Nymox, no brand on it, Kiwiplymouth hooked me up with a 5kg bottle then I bought a regulator with solenoid for about $100 off ebay (including shipping) and already had the diffuser. Might get another diffuser for the other side but don't know if it's needed or not? I'm still pretty new to this 'high tech' thing..

so it does :lol: but one has been running on 2-3m for 3ish years and no problems so meh. I don't know where I'd stick the ballasts (other than on top of the tank :-? ) if the cords were to be shorter than 1m.

I just went to bunnings and that looked to be the cheapest way to mount them, I was quite pleased with how easy it was too.

Nymox, no brand on it, Kiwiplymouth hooked me up with a 5kg bottle then I bought a regulator with solenoid for about $100 off ebay (including shipping) and already had the diffuser. Might get another diffuser for the other side but don't know if it's needed or not? I'm still pretty new to this 'high tech' thing..

Wow, thats actually very good pricing on those lights, tempting...

thats good to know, rather you try it first than me :lol:

1 meter or less is a nuisance eh. be good to have ballasts under the tank in a cabinet with a fan on thermostat = possibly heat the tank for free?

Wow, thats actually very good pricing on those lights, tempting...

Yep they're a ton cheaper than buying the 'proper' fish halides.

CO2 is at ~1 bubble per second, but I also think it needs more as I haven't seen any pearling yet. Might have to steal the girlfriends diffuser and chuck it on the other side 8)

thats good to know, rather you try it first than me 8)

1 meter is a nuisance i agree. be good to have ballasts under tank in cabinet with a fan on thermostat = possibly heat the tank for free?

someone's gotta be the guinea pig :D

good idea about putting the ballasts under the tank, didn't think of that