Lovebirds breeding

firefish

Last night I found out that my birds have laid 2 eggs.

Amber looks to be playing the mum role as she stays near the nest, Jade is out in the cage like normal. But should Amber be sitting on the eggs at all times, or is it ok for her to leave a bit?

When I put the breeding box in I put some cotton breeding material in, the birds took about half out so there's not that much around them.

I've never had birds breed before, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haven't used cotton breeding material on love birds before, willow or fruit tree branches and they strip the bark and leaves off or they will shred up newspaper

she may not sit properly the first time

they can lay up to 6 eggs

if disturbed they can come off the nest too often

usually start sitting from day one and lay on every second or third day

dont use anything with hook beaks

They will strip anything they need for them selves

A dry bowl from timber is all they need.

Most hook beaks dont start sitting full time until they have finished laying but the female will hang about in the box which keep the temp up a bit

I just got home and Amber is in the nest.

They've got a branch in there which they don't strip, they've been pulling apart all the rope in the cage recently.

P44: I have no idea if Jade is a boy or a girl. But when mating Jade looks like a boy :lol:

Amber only tolerates sitting on me, she was parent raised, but Jade who was hand raised has bites lots more and much harder!

• 2 weeks later...

update: Its been 2 weeks since i noticed the eggs (there are 3 of them)

Amber is being very diligent - she comes out for only a min at a time, to get something for the nest or some food.

while she was out i took the oppourtunity to take a quick picture

Eggs__003.jpg

They might be hatching out around next weekend :D

If they do, is there anything i need to do differently? Or any different food to put in?

Congratulations! You are doing well. The nest looks good and should provide enough structure to prevent splay legged chicks. Keep up the good food to the parents. In addition to their normal diet, you can also feed mashed/blended hard boiled egg (including the shell), sprouted seeds and sprouted wheat (wheat grass), and mealworms. You can also add a little bit of hand rearing formula to the mashed hard boiled egg and this can help to prevent nutrient deficiency in the chicks. The parents will feed the chicks as much variety as they can but they are limited to what is available in the cage! :D