Lovebirds breeding

firefish

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one?

I'm trying to be as non-invasive as possible (but still getting to see them) so I haven't seen Amber feed either of them. I think the older one is getting more food, but I don't want to supplementary feed just before I go away.

The babies were practising their 'song' this morning...

It depends on what options you chose (like cage size and what type of bird)

My original cage cost $130 and suited the 2 birds well. The cage i brought, which is much bigger was $380

Jade was $110 cos he is a handraised bird, but parent raised birds can be quite cheap (like around $30 i think)

I brought lots of toys, to switch around all the time, which was possibly $100

Feeding them is really cheap (seeds, nuts, greens, pellets).

I would only recommend 1 bird if you're at home all day and can let the bird out most of the day. I tried having just Jade, but had to get Amber a few months later, for Jade's sake.

I would definitely recommend having two, my little guy lost his mate last year, he seems okay but was much happier with a buddy.... he spends a lot of time talking to and feeding "the bird" in his mirror and I feel so sorry for him all alone at night with no one to snuggle up with.....

They are looking awesome, it will be cool to see what colours they are when older. That's one of my favourite things about breeding pets, you just never know what offspring they will produce. And your two chicks look so different colour wise. I have only ever seen the normal kind, never a light one. Are you going to keep them both? It would be hard not to get attached to them sicne you've watched them develop and grow. I'm sure I saw some at the shop the other day and after seeing yours grow I think they are so cute! I love that photo of your boy.

I am still waiting to see if the cockatiel eggs hatch I haven't looked but they have been looking after them so well and my male bird is guarding his family. Doesn't talk to me anymore just screams his warning that there is an intruder. Bit sad he used to do that scream to warn us of intruders when he lived inside. You are so lucky you can see yours and hold them. I'm scared to go in there because I'm sure I'll get attacked. Hopefully they hatch this week. Will I be able to hear them if they do or does it take a while?

Amber was preocupied when I was handling the babies - didn't even notice.

Just got back after a week away & found 2 nicely feathered birds. Will get pictures in the next few days.

I am keeping them - brought a much larger cage to house the family. I think they'll move in at the end of this week.