French fisherman catches gigantic "goldfish"

Aquila

The colour surprises me too sa I would have thought it would revert back to more 'natural' colouring.

Well, the population will, over time, because individuals showing the bright colour phenotypes will be more easily removed from the gene pool by predators. Individuals retain their own phenotype for life.

While koi have been in Europe for a long time, long enough to show at least significant reversion, it is also likely that more recent releases would maintain higher levels of non-wild colour variants than you would expect otherwise.

Anyway, DAMNED IMPRESSIVE FISH :o

The guy's fingers on the front look relatively large, makes me think maybe the photo may not be faked but just misleading due to holding the fish closer to the camera. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd be seriously straining holding up a fish as big as that looks.

Its a very brightly coloured, and great looking carp. I've caught ones that colour (on a fishing rod :oops:), though much smaller in the Waikato River. Its a very large fish for a koi, but I've no doubt the photo is real. He probably held it out in front slightly to make it look a little bigger. Theres a big fishery for trophy carp in Europe and it think the world record is about 90lb. They very big ones are often a lot uglier than that one. Theres plenty of carp fishing articles on the net with pictures of very big fish.

http://www.dynamitebaits.com/index.php?id=963

• 3 weeks later...

I've been told about this story.

At first, it looks fake. But this man is a real fisher and he's used to catch big fishes as we can see on his FB album.

He caught that koï in september 2008 and dedicated press published it in early 2009. But the picture has been sold recently to the Dailymail and then, some others medias talked about it. It grew in scale (that's what we call in french : 'effet boule de neige', literally translated as snowball effect) and that's why it appeared recenty in the Google hot searches as "giant golfish" ;)