ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if theres anyone in christchurch that needs fish housed while you sort your tanks out please sing out were in hornby we have water and some spare room in our fish room if ya's need help :D

lucky we lost no fish with the earthquake we had no power for nearly 2 days :wink: and hows that the livingstonii's have just spawned and my brownaes are still holding all discus are fine they were they main concern :oops: ....

very lucky i say was a very scary time hope everyone in chch is ok has anyone heard from nav???

i cant help but feel that the media is pushing a worst case scenario in the updates but i guess its needed for some people just stop idiocy and complacency but i wiuh the news could be more positive as reading stuff like this is not helping my state of mind

We just spent the day with a few wetvacs at the Aquarium, had a structural engineer come thru and its all good except for the fasade which was getting worked on today. We lost few fish initially but several including our lovely Porcupinefish spent some time on the floor and will require some attention. The place smells like a Wet Wookie atm but we are hopefully going to be able to open thurs with luck. The generators kicked in like they should and the police have allowed us access when we needed it so we have been pretty lucky really.

At home I lost several lids and a few lights ended up at the bottom of tanks but the only fish loss was a Clown knife that was washed out of a tank :(

I had a brief call with Nav today and he said he had some mess but nothing too drastic :)

Just got home from work. I dont like being away from home when theres been some big aftershocks. It always leaves you wondering whats happening while you're not there. I was talking to a staff member who had gone into work soon after the main quake. She said she hadnt been able to cross over Colombo St for the traffic jam of people heading up the hills.... at 5.30am.... :o

I've kinda had enough now... everywhere you go theres rubble and tired people.

Pleased to see not too much loss at the aquarium! It could have been horrific if that had all gone... Hopefully the injured fish will pull through.

I agree. I am feeling a little down about it today and very worried about the rest of the tanks.

I read about your situation Jennifer :(

Would it be possible to use square or round plastic containers or rubbish bins and put all your fishes in them, with filters and heater ? I did it when I got some troubles with one of my tanks some years ago.

[edit] I mean just put the rest of tanks empty on the floor and fishes in plastic containers if you got some, until there are no aftershocks anymore ?

my 4' tank = approx 250 litres = 250 kg -= a quater of a ton, it slid sideways on its stand about an inch and a half. Drained out 75% of water and tried to man handle it back, no show couldnt move it at all.

Seriously stay well away from your tanks during quake / aftershocks, having that kinda weight fall on you dosnt bear thinking about...