ChCh 7.4 earthquake

Caryl

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im sure my flattie seen me starkers in the wardrobe doorway! needless to say i wore clothes to bed last night.

i have an empty 200l tank here at home my old goldfish tank im happy to house fish displaced by earthquake i can set it up quickly too only thing is i dont have a heater that will heat it but im sure we can sort one out if its needed if this could help you out please ring me (tim) 3235221 if we arent home leave a msg with contact details

SouthernGirl held her tank when it happened :o

you MUST love your fish that much!!!

Not the Chch one, I was just recounting my last big EQ experience from July last year. Whilst bigger on the Richter scale at 7.8 and slightly shallower than the Chch one, the epicentre was way off the coast of Fiordland so wasn't as intense as the Chch one. Still, it had me panicking and I just went with the urge to protect the tank in the best way I could think of at the time.

wow what a weekend i have finally got POWER :bounce: as some of you in chch are aware we have a large fish room in our garage well our garage was flooded all the homes in our tanks had fallen down they had nothing for a whole day lucky my husband to be is brillant and riged up a car battery to some little thing pump bubbles for all the tanks and then we left the gas heater going for periods waking up during the night to check on them all and were lucky enough to be given a generator this morning :bow:

so now we finally have some light im going to go check on them all :bounce:

fingers crossed

and and i hope everyone is safe :wink: wish theses after shocks would stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rug doctor could be a good idea as it will remove any fishy smell the tank water could leave. I've used the heater + dehumidifier on small to medium spills, but I'd imagine with a big one like yours the rug doctor would be the best option, then run the dehumidifier for a few days.

How much water did the big tank lose? Lucky the other tank is empty... ;)

A friend of mine who was a professional carpet cleaner said people cause damage to their carpets using rug doctors because they get it quite wet and often it doesn't dry out, he says this is usually because people get carried away and do it twice so I don't know if it would help in this situation it may add more moisture. Is there away to use it as a wet/dry vac and try and suck out the water..

Another thing to consider is adding heat and air movement with some big fans and stuff, also lift the carpet if you can.. Whenever I flood my fishroom I lift the carpet and stick a fan on and it dries it really fast.

From the tank disasters I've had in the past (one of my tanks apparently has a gypsy curse on it or something) I'd suggest use a wet and dry vac to remove as much water has you can first, then set to with heaters/dehumidifiers (and if it's a fine day then wide open windows and doors). It's annoying, especially if you've got furniture on the carpet because you should remove that (or at least raise it off the carpet) so the furniture and the carpet under it can dry too.

rug doctor could be a good idea as it will remove any fishy smell the tank water could leave. I've used the heater + dehumidifier on small to medium spills, but I'd imagine with a big one like yours the rug doctor would be the best option, then run the dehumidifier for a few days.

How much water did the big tank lose? Lucky the other tank is empty... ;)

big tank lost about 10% water plus two 3ft, another small tank made my fish room a pond

the "other tank" was full, i still have pleco's in it cycling the tank ready for its new tenant, that lost about 1/4 water....rimless open top reef tank lost about half its water lol

carpets dried abit more last night, heat pump is working well

Georgeous, calm, warm, spectacularly sunny day here today. No trace of the winds any more and just a few things blown around - nothing broken (at least from that).

Going through the EQC claim motions today - they'll send someone out to assess the house and likely tell us it is uninhabitable. I'm pretty sure (and builder friend agrees) that the damage to our main outside wall is irrepairable and the house will have to go :(

On the up side, we removed the main chimney in November last year. If we hadn't done that it would definitely have collapsed - internally as well as the part above the roof - and destroyed everything in our living area. So we've lost a few Treasures and a lot of useless stuff, but the important things are intact - including ourselves.

I think I'll spend the day in the garden.

Thanks for all of your thoughts guys.

We are 20km from the epicentre, south of CHCH.

One grow-out tank on the floor, smashed. Managed to catch the 8 juvi discus and throw them into another tank, took 25 minutes to find the 8th one though, he/she died yesterday morning (the one with the most promise of course), three others looking a bit sad. 80 litres of water in the carpet and glass everywhere, I have multiple cuts. Lost 8 litres out of the top of another tank, 13 litres out of the top of another. No power until 1725 hrs Sat, had covered the remaining tanks with blankets and temp had only dropped two degrees, thankfully.

Currently have 14 young discus in a 35 litre quarantine tank - nowhere else for them too go during the quake!

Confirmed sewage in our water supply, so no water changes. Have reduced tank temp to 25 degrees (to slow down Discus metabolism), one small feed a day (to prevent waste buildup). I have a spare 130 litre tank but no clean water to go in it! Went to Animates yesterday to get nitrazorb for the QT (the other tanks have plants), also picked up the API Stress products. Added salt to the two tanks with the sick fish (fins disintegrating, cloudy eyes).

Very sad, and very concerned for my fish. So hard to see those I am responsible for, dieing and sick. I am a grown man that fishes and hunts, but I have not cried so much since my grandfather died.

cheers,

and all those in Canterbury, take care.

Only just got the internet on.... I'm very fortunate. Waves of water splashed up walls and across floors, but I was somehow managing to 'wobble' through the house and throw great piles of towels and sheets over the floor as water slopped out. Basking ramp in 6 ft tank in lounge broke with force of a water wave and shattered down onto turtles and pleco but all OK. Some cracks in 1 bedroom and minor ornaments stuff broken. Having water levels lower then fish tanks helped. I have several borrowed heaters and dehumidifiers going day and night drying carpets. The ponds outside were significantly thrown about. Theres only 1 occupied with 17 large turtles and the other 2 had been revamped significantly last WE and filled with fresh water. They sloshed out and carried bark, mud etc for along way over paths etc. 2 neighbours arrived at 5am and we were slopping up water straight away. I never lost power but I lost water. Later in day niece helped bucket water from pond into bath for the displaced turtles. I had to work Sat pm. Driving to peoples homes between 5.30-9.30pm. But I had to start at 2.30pm instead and had a manager drive and I did visits so we could be finished before dark. It was very sobering driving all over CHCH and seeing how much damage there was. Just everywhere..every street has something from broken chimneys to whole buildings collapsed. The problem now is that the water may be contaminated and I cant do water changes. I'm normally doing 3 or 4 tanks every 2 days in a constant tank clean cycle. So now tanks are beginning to smell! Water is clouding and its not a healthy environment for turtles .... or me! May need to look at trying to bucket water in and do minor changes, but its a huge amount of work :roll: Been really tired with not much sleep, cleaning up and working. Need to work again today to. It was the loudest, strangest noise during the earthquake...theres a constant anxiety of... will it happen again.... :o

Is your 6ft ruined or just out of commission til the ramp it fixed??

SEA also had water all over the floor and some of the fish that sloshed out died. No glass broken and I haven't heard anything about the building so I assume it's ok? But all the stock in the shop was all over the floor, lots of glass ornaments and clothes/soft toys will be ruined.

Orana Park had a lemur drown in the moats :(