Apistogramma hongsloi fry

Jennifer

Fantastic - I'm so delighted that someone (you) managed to keep a pair alive long enough to breed. How many fry?

I siphoned off 17 wrigglers on day five. Still have all 17. The male has really developed spectacular colouration (I would take a pic but then I'd have to clean the glass :oops: ). The pair spawn every two weeks like clockwork since I got them, but they don't raise them beyond 8 days. When I have more room I may steal the next batch but truthfully I have five batches of fry on the go at the moment and three more laying so that's about as much as I can handle!

have you tried removing the male and letting the female raise them?

not sure how it works with this species but its what i did with the agasazzi, and the mother did a hell of a better job than I ever could have because she constantly picked them up and cleaned them and spat them back out; transported them from place to place etc.. The cleaning bit was the most important thing I noticed.

The female absolutely bashes the male to within an inch of his life after they spawn so I removed him a couple of times but it didn't make any difference to her success rate. Now it is just heavily planted so he can hide in the corner.

I do a 10% daily water change on the fry tanks until they are a month old, then 20% every two days.

Great pics Jennifer. I just googled to see what the adults look like and they seem to vary in colour but very beautiful!. Is there many of these around or are they quite rare here in N.Z.?

These are beautiful fish and my guess is that Jennifer has the last breeding pair.