What's your bogey fish

firenzenz

I was reading another post from 'Joshlikesfish'

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46355

It got me thinking. Do some fish just not like us? :)

I have been able to breed a number of species of fish but if you were to put a Blue ram of any sort near my tank it seems to be doomed to death.

It has nothing to do with tankmates, water etc I'm sure they just don't seem to like me

Does anyone else have a bogey fish?

I was reading another post from 'Joshlikesfish'

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46355

It got me thinking. Do some fish just not like us? :)

I have been able to breed a number of species of fish but if you were to put a Blue ram of any sort near my tank it seems to be doomed to death.

It has nothing to do with tankmates, water etc I'm sure they just don't seem to like me

Does anyone else have a bogey fish?

I had a whole bogey tank. I named it the Tank Of Death. Nothing I put in there would survive long. Gouramis, tetras, barbs, rams, platys, fighters. NOTHING. I gave it away to a young girl who put a bunch of goldfish in it. Bet they didn't survive.. but not just because it was the TANK OF DEATH...

the so called hardy guppy has been my bogey fish.

Right from the first worm infested guppy that was sold to me to the more recent imported guppies that carked it. (no not my lovley HFF one, they're doing great) I only seem to have guppys die on me!

Conversely my Kuhli loaches who i got a week after setting up are amazing little things that have survived a cycling tank, numerous trips up the filter, escaped the worm problem, put up with bullying by the BN's, endured a shift and two tank moves, one was a temporary carpet fish, were not affected by whatever disease those imported guppys bought into the tank, escaped the recent ich and were unharmed by any of the medications I've used in my tank. Great little guys who come out every day to let me know they're fine.

Grant and I were known as the guppy killers in our early days of fish keeping. We now know what the problem was so probably would be able to keep them alive these days but, for some reason, I went off the idea of guppies :roll:

The ones John had in Organism almost made me change my mind though! :bow:

Grant and I were known as the guppy killers in our early days of fish keeping. We now know what the problem was so probably would be able to keep them alive these days but, for some reason, I went off the idea of guppies

what was the problem???

The shop had sold us a lovely red substrate. We did not know (neither did they and they stil didn't understand when we told them either) it was designed for African set-ups so the pH would rise to 8. The shop would sell us pH Down and we would pour it in! Poor fish suffered through severe pH swings. It took us a while to figure out why the pH kept shooting up and didn't understand much about it in those days. Luckily a local fish club started up and we got our answers there 8)

No internet in those days either :wink:

I had a whole bogey tank. I named it the Tank Of Death. Nothing I put in there would survive long. Gouramis, tetras, barbs, rams, platys, fighters. NOTHING. I gave it away to a young girl who put a bunch of goldfish in it. Bet they didn't survive.. but not just because it was the TANK OF DEATH...

any relation to the tank of doom on trademe (in the "cool auctions")

^^ Fighters would be mine xD

I saw that "Tank of Doom" when browsing latest auctions. When i saw it on cool auctions i was kinda annoyed, seeing as people will buy it because its in the cool auctions and i cant pick up a tank for next to nothing -.- lol

My Kuhlis havent been seen in the last few weeks. I got them in a tank with a thin substrate that they can dig into -.-

I've discovered that my biggest problem with fish dying off quickly appears to be due to not acclimatising them properly. I'd have thought an hour or two would be good enough. Last couple batches I've done about 5 hours and had 0 deaths.