SamH

Capacity/Dimensions: 108 liters/900mm long x 400mm wide x 300mm high

Lighting: 3 x 23w 6500k CFLs

Filtration: Eheim 2213

Heating: Jager 100w

CO2: N/A yet

Substrate: Daltons Washed Play Sand

Décor: Local rocks

Flora: Lilaeopsis Sp., Hygrophila polysperma, Eleocharis Sp, Glossostigma elatinoides.

Fauna: N/A

Before:

IMG_6131.jpg

Now:

IMG_6137.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6138.jpg

IMG_6140.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good Sam. I like your inspiration and vision. That tank would be great for my CPDs. :D Have you thought about adding some smaller rocks to place at the base of the rocks that you have? It might make them appear more natural.

Thanks guys 8)

Have you thought about adding some smaller rocks to place at the base of the rocks that you have? It might make them appear more natural.

agree with jen on the smaller rocks, just a few though

These are exactly the suggestions I want, I can't believe I didn't see this earlier :-?

There should be a couple of Ottos, maybe a couple of BN, my PK and some shoaling fish, if only CPDs weren't so pricey :(

i have always liked the look of an exposed piece of wood sticking out of low growing plants

ahahahhahahahahahhahahahha, *facepalm

always though you were the outdoorsy type, I just wasn't ready for that tit-bit of information :lol:

personally i would have had the glosso in the front, lileopolis behind that with the hairgrass at the same level and polysperma right at the back cause it grows like a jungle.

looks good though.

your plants will grow faster under 10000K lights too :D

i have always liked the look of an exposed piece of wood sticking out of low growing plants

Yeah, all the wood is in use. Baby BNs come first and the other wood is prone to getting algae and looks out of place.

personally i would have had the glosso in the front, lileopolis behind that with the hairgrass at the same level and polysperma right at the back cause it grows like a jungle.

looks good though.

your plants will grow faster under 10000K lights too :D

Not enough glosso for that :( Is the polysperma not at the back? :-? All of it is from about 4 stems, cut down to a pair or two of leaves each. Found me some 10000k CLFs yet?

looking good mate, how do you manage to plant all the individual hair grass like that?, I find it so finicky and half the time the plant just keeps floating to the surface :-?

I planted the glosso is 2cm deep water, hairgrass in 5cm of water, lileopolis and polysperma in 10cm of water. I lay them out on a 40cm round tray with a splash of water, cut off the tops and rip them into groups of 3-5 blades. Plant gently but deep with tweezers, same for Glosso.

Big problem this morning. Outlet on the right (why couldn't it be the intake?!) fell out of the tank :-? Thank fully I used the shorter side of the intake inside the tank and the heater was literally millimetres bellow that. 54 litres of water on the carpet isn't heaps but still a pain. I opened up the canister into a bucket until we can sort something out. What a way to start the day :roll:

Thanks

Glosso was from WoW in Hamilton, recently purchased the lileopolis and hairgrass from HFF Mt Roskill, originally got the H. polysperma from HFF Albany, my first ever aquarium plant about 3 years ago :o

Dehumidifiers are really helpful!

I overflowed my tank the other day.... :oops:

Insurance covered it today, have that area of carpet pulled up with some kind of heat fans underneath it. Room is shut but really musty and humid when I went in there. Not a cent out of pocket except perhaps a larger power bill :oops:

Erm... It's not going :x

Carpet still isn't back in place, dry but not cleaned. Unsure when it will be ready again, probably before this weekend. The growth rate has always been great under these lights for me, keen to get the tank going again though. Currently filled with 100mm off water just covering the plants, most of the glosso is covered or uprooted because of the tank move :(

oh is it still out of action, wow that was a major set back, im really sorry to here bro.

I fear that kinda stuff all the time lol, timers sparking and burning the house down, rocks inside the tank falling and spitting the tank open.. heater boiling the fish... it goes on and on lol

Earthquakes tipping the whole bloody tank over! omg lol

But yea that sucks about the water problem. :(

So yea, the 6500k lights were going good then? im just interest in the best value way to do things you know? :)

rocks inside the tank falling and spitting the tank open..

Almost happened to me with my brandnew juwel. :-?

When i was setting it up, one of the rocks fell out of my hand and hit the side really hard. was a big rock too. luckily i had sand in there already

Almost happened to me with my brandnew juwel. :-?

When i was setting it up, one of the rocks fell out of my hand and hit the side really hard. was a big rock too. luckily i had sand in there already

omg really? wow, thankgod it didnt break lol that would be a great end to a nice xmas present

1 slip of the hand could have set me back a couple of hundred dollars, given me 1 angry dad, a ruined carpet, a ruined xmas and 1 very sad boy :cry:

My heart jumped when that happened.

I can recall it so vividly....................................... :lol:

Yeah, the polysperma's growing already which is good, would liked to have had a clean start though.

So yea, the 6500k lights were going good then? im just interest in the best value way to do things you know? :)

I know all to well about value for money. Costs around $15 for fixture and lamp, enough to grow hairgrass very well in the "large splish splash". Saw great growth out of Glosso with 3 of these, pity I ran into algae problems I couldn't fix :-?

I have 40 odd BN babies pooping alot, anyway I can use this as fertilizer for my aquatic plants?

Thanks