108L Rimless

SamH

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

royal whiptails love that stuff. i fed some to my whiptail last night. he left the pleco tab and scraped the algae off instead.

Like the ones Phil sells?

I got the same algae in a fishless tank, surely I can't have it again already? I'm guessing water changes are needed then?

No, not necessarily water changes. The diatoms/brown algae are a sign that the microorganisms aren't yet at a high enough level to keep them under control. Try the following:

1. Increase surface agitation which will help them grow.

2. Cut back on the photoperiod a little bit just to keep it under control until everything is in balance

3. Small frequent water changes (you want to keep the nitrates low but keep the growing population of microorganisms in the tank so they can begin to thrive).

In no time hopefully it will all balance out.

Not read through the whole thread yet, so sorry if I'm repeating what someone else has said...

Iwagumi style tanks are always like this in early stages but worth it in the end.

Try throwing loads of 'bushy' type plants in for now to starve the algae. When your carpeting plants are more established whip out the temporary ones.

Chuck in a few otto's....