108L Rimless

SamH

more to complain about then :wink: :lol:

I'll stop complaining then, I was just looking for a bit of advice.

I actually think, as many have stated here as well, YOU ARE TOO IMPATIENT, Sam! :wink:

I can send them if you want, or you can wait until I tell Wok he is delivery boy...

It's fine, I don't mind waiting. Just keen to know what I can do to make this algae go as fast as possible. It doesn't seem to be harming the plants but it's not too attractive at the moment.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*wonders how long my tanks been green for :o *

Past two days maybe? Algae before that.

so you have no other stems that you can float in there for now anywhere?..

None that I can pull up, no. It's just a phase according to P44 8)

• 2 weeks later...

I have no ottos left :( I was actually planning on doing an update, did a larger than normal water change and scrubbed everything I could of algae. Not much change really, Hygro has started to go red, glosso is doing okay and hairgrass is spreading fast.

You got fish in there Sam?

Maybe cut back on the water changes as this is just fueling the algae.

JMO

+1

Agreed. The dissolved CO2 in the new water will cause CO2 fluctuations that can cause an algae outbreak. Perhaps you can do a tiny amount every day so that the levels are as consistent as possible, or don't do it at all (unless you absolutely have to).

I suspect my danios may be going in there?

I just put the pair of them in there, they went nuts and started attacking my killies :o So I moved them to the 2 footer until I decide what to do with them, may need to buy some more but they're even chasing each other :-?

Regarding the water changes, I only do around 8l everyday, probably less actually. Been away for the weekend and the algae got worse.

I don't think Danios discriminate between whom they chase - anyone is fair game, be they single or in groups.

That's a real shame :(

More killies next week, Sam.

:bounce: Yes, that's right. I used the bounce emote :o

And the pictures no ones been waiting for...

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6333.jpg

IMG_6334.jpg

IMG_6335.jpg

Still plenty of algae on the Hygro but it's still growing. Hairgrass is doing very well and the Glosso is coping. Java fern and moss isn't doing so well but the Rotala rotundifolia I added from another tank is growing well considering the state it was in before. Planning on making a new diffuser soon.

it hasn't grown much :-?

Has so! More hairgrass has come through, hygro has gone red and grew heaps. I think :-?

What fert regime you running? I can't be bothered going back and reading the whole thread...

PMDD

More flow may help

It does help, I ran that pump straight onto the hairgrass and it cleared off the algae.

co2 with an ugly diffuser :P :lol:

I have a smaller diffuser at the back now, still ugly but less noticeable and more efficient. I'm already planning an even better one :wink:

Agreed with all of the above. It sounds like you are on the right track. Be sure to reduce your light and focus on the CO2 levels though, it is the CO2 that you want to be non-limiting, not the light, or conditions will favour algae. Keep in mind, gas diffusion in water is extremely inefficient so you must circulate the CO2 very well to ensure that CO2 is unlimiting. Get an extra power head going if you have to.

Set your light and increased CO2 and then sit back and wait. Gradually increase CO2 after the week and you will see that things are starting to improve. You need to wait about a week between major changes so the plants have a chance to adjust.