tank competition ?

livingart

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having counted votes in Local Body elections a few times I can assure you that if your name is Aabbot you would have a good chance of being elected. People seem to vote for the people they know then tick the remaining numbers required starting at the top. With this in mind I would strongly suspect that many people would vote for something because they were told to.

I think HaNs's post just gave Fnzas and its competition a bit of free advertising.

Cant complain about that :D

no but picking out one quote to support an arguement is not enough, some of the other quotes i have saved point in another direction

with the role of mod or admin on a public website comes the responsibility of acting in an appropriate manner

this website is the public face of the Federation of New Zealand Aquarium Societies and as such needs to be a representation of all its members both young and old, and from all walks of life

because of this there are societal standards to maintain and an executive to answer to

a privately run website does not need to conform to the same standards and can be operated as the admin wishes

the admin teams behaviour will be reflected in its members actions as like a family the parents set the standard

not that long ago many members were upset at the way these forums were being administered and a lot of work and tears went into changing this to create a better place to be

moderation has been relaxed a little but a standard needs to be maintained

we all must be aware that though we consider something a prank others may not see it in the same light

Shows?

photograph comps?

"Small tank comp"

Breeding "competitions"? :roll:

I'm well aware of all that, I just think its lame that people take it so seriously. I guess because very few of my fish are practical to take to shows, I'm not really interested in breeding and my idea of a small tank is around 200L that these things are pretty meaningless to me.

What is meaningless to some is exciting and a challenge to others. Just because it does not interest you does not mean it does not interest others.

(I think about those who endlessly discuss plots etc of soaps and other TV shows. I didn't realise people took these things seriously!) :roll:

Breeding "competitions"? :roll:

its human nature to be competitive........as far as im aware the comp is suppose to be anonymous. I agree its hardly a serious matter , but going out publishing the same photos then asking people to come here and vote is taking the competition too far. jmo

why cant we all focus on the postives, im getting tired of the silly stiring that seems to go on around here. amazing how good life is if you just think about the postive side of things........like a chicken roll for brunch mmmmhmm my day just got better :lol:

What is meaningless to some is exciting and a challenge to others. Just because it does not interest you does not mean it does not interest others.

(I think about those who endlessly discuss plots etc of soaps and other TV shows. I didn't realise people took these things seriously!) :roll:

I'm not really interested in the competitive side of things, but I saw some of the tanks from this competition in person & thought they were awesome looking. The entrant was obviously very pleased with them & had learnt quite a bit about how to do a planted tank.

I was then myself inspired to go home & rearrange my tank (also following those florist principles from the last mag. great article!) and now I feel really pleased with my tank & am itching to start up another tank. (mts!)

Good example of how having a competition benefits the hobby, even if in just a small way?

yes bpspider they can be a real buzz and inspiration to some people

i agree about the silly stirring matt, one upmansship, inserting links to another site and other niggly things are like the assinine games i played as a child

now that i've grownup look what i've got

it's a trumpet fay

and it's made by tiptop :D

I'm not really interested in the competitive side of things, but I saw some of the tanks from this competition in person & thought they were awesome looking. The entrant was obviously very pleased with them & had learnt quite a bit about how to do a planted tank.

I was then myself inspired to go home & rearrange my tank (also following those florist principles from the last mag. great article!) and now I feel really pleased with my tank & am itching to start up another tank. (mts!)

Good example of how having a competition benefits the hobby, even if in just a small way?

This was the whole object of the exercise - to see what could be done with an standard off the shelf tank that you see every day in the LFS.

Classes two and three were for those who wanted to try something a little different with their tank, or didn't have an all in one tank to enter, or had set up their tank quite some time ago that excluded them from the other two classes.

There is a vast difference between pointing to the poll for a competition and saying 'vote in this competition' as opposed to 'go here and vote for number ##' - and herein lies the reason for this thread.

We will discuss this further and see what, if anything should be done about this.

Feel free to comment if you wish, and this will be taken into consideration.

If you are so concerned about it say who the second person is and there it is all on an even playing field. Unless it is someone that a lot of people dont like because that would get them less votes.

I personally did not see the comp till it was pointed out to me and that is all I took it as. I looked at both tanks and voted in the one I thought took the most skill and looked best

I think that if another competition whent ahead then maybe the same thing should not be allowed. I am sure it wasn't his intention to try and force people to vote for his tank. I followed the link and voted for the other tank. I my self feel there was nothing wrong with it. The link was removed when he was made aware that people thought it was un fair.

If you are so concerned about it say who the second person is and there it is all on an even playing field. Unless it is someone that a lot of people dont like because that would get them less votes.

That is the reason why the competition is anonymous - it is not an even playing field if you are voting for your mates, or not for someone you do not like - regardless of the skill and attention they have paid in creating their entry.

Right, as I see it, there was nothing in the rules that said that it was not allowed.

Lets just drop the argument and move on.

Next time, write that into the rules so it does not happen again.

I think it is silly going on about "what if's" and going round in circles. The link has now been removed and the few people who read it are hardly likely to be the straw that breaks the camels back. I mean half the members here were probably not even aware of the other forum until it was pointed out to them in this thread.

JMO

I my self feel there was nothing wrong with it. The link was removed when he was made aware that people thought it was un fair.

link took awhile to get removed after poster was made aware that it was unfair and cpmments were posted before both threads were sanitised

I mean half the members here were probably not even aware of the other forum until it was pointed out to them in this thread.

the link was posted by the person in question no one else

no obfuscation of facts please

in my view this was the straw that broke the camels back

i have sat back and watched the silly assinine games that have been played on this forum by other forum members and bit my tongue, well half chewed it off actually

i had a lot of respect for all involved but constant rubbing has worn that respect down