CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC

goldfish

I think if there is a given smokers area at a place of employment.. an area solely for smokers outside, then I don't see what the problem is... this means the non smokers can stay clear if they choose.... but unfortunately some don't choose to and still complain about it.. :roll: Or they often complain if a worker comes inside from having a cigarette and they smell of smoke... mind you, in the past working.. I have been offended by peoples perfumes and aftershaves, the ones who decide to wear half a bottle at a time and near knock you out.. burn your nostrils or so strong you can taste it :-? :lol:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh really, can't I just leave it on the ground outside with all the cigarette ends? :wink:

Yeap cig butts thrown everywhere is gross...

But in regards to either one left on ground outside... I know which I would rather tread on or be left to clean up as caretaker :o :lol: :lol:

Yeap cig butts thrown everywhere is gross...

But in regards to either one left on ground outside... I know which I would rather tread on or be left to clean up as caretaker :o :lol: :lol:

Yeah me too I think. :wink: There goes that argument. Plus I work from home (childcare) so if anyone is going to poo in the corner, it'll be one of my clients.

So if I choose to go for a poo at work, why do I have to do it in the toilet? Can't I just do it in a corner? It is perfectly natural. Sure it'll smell but so does smoking. I think I will start doing this and if people don't want to come to work any more because of the smell that is their choice.

:roll: you're confusing personal responsibility with what is socially acceptable.

To use your example; pooing in the corner isn't socially acceptable anywhere [in NZ], at home or at work. This would equate to someone in a customer service roll smoking on the job and blowing smoke in the customers face. There doesn't need to be laws prohibiting pooing in the corner, because people just know that its not the done thing.

But by all means, its your business and I believe you should be able to do as you please with it. You can poo on the counter next to the cash register for all I care, but I'm sure customers will express their displeasure by shopping else-where.

My brother was a 2 pack a day smoker for 25 years. He didn't care about the health risk as he said you have to die of something.

The thing that made him quit was the cost. He realised he had smoked the equivalent of a new car so stopped cold turkey and very soon got the car he wanted.

Smokers want the right to choose to smoke, right?

They would also (normally) not encourage anyone else to take it up, right?

I think smokers should need to register as smokers to be able to access cigarettes to a fixed personal amount. That way new people can't take it up (or if they do they are even stupider, but maybe there could be ways to include them on the register) and the smokers slowly die out and we are left with a smoke-free society without anyone being forced to stop.

Makes sense to me. I would like to know what smokers think of it.

And yes I realise it would possibly increase the stigma....

I used to hate sitting in the car with windows up while both parents smoked...probably put me off for life! :x I agree people have the right and choice to smoke if they want, and work with many people who smoke, but really can't stand the smell. I hate the way the smoke blows so far away from the smoker and over the non-smoker wether they like it or not. I agree how nice it is not to put up with smoking in public places, planes etc. Best thing that could have happened. :)

I think smokers should need to register as smokers to be able to access cigarettes to a fixed personal amount. That way new people can't take it up (or if they do they are even stupider, but maybe there could be ways to include them on the register) and the smokers slowly die out and we are left with a smoke-free society without anyone being forced to stop.

So we end up with tobacco exceeding cannabis in being a money-earner for the gangs?

Ah but the point is to AVOID those issues that prohibition cause! Otherwise I would have said just ban it outright.

If you want to smoke, you can smoke, but you have to go through the hassle of having to register and getting your prescription cigarettes.

Ah but the point is to AVOID those issues that prohibition cause! Otherwise I would have said just ban it outright.

If you want to smoke, you can smoke, but you have to go through the hassle of having to register and getting your prescription cigarettes.

problem been the hassel all i see that doing is widening the illegal tobacco market which will no doubt = more crime, and more coin 4 gangs

Prescription ciggies? Are you kidding me? That is ridiculous IMO.

I think there should be smoking area's inside at bars. Install ventilation systems and segregate it.

People have been smoking for thousands of years. People have undoubtably died from smoking for thousands of years. So what?

Life is short. Why do we need so many rules imposing on our everyday lives from a government that is seemingly run by inept plebs.

Can't they focus on the important things in the world instead?

I think there should be smoking area's inside at bars. Install ventilation systems and segregate it.

You'd think that with the number of vocal whingers and campaigners of the anti-smoking laws that a non-smoking bar (back in the days before the ban) would have been really popular and they would have been popping up all over the place...

freedom of choice

too many rules telling us what we have to do

if it wasn't considered bad to do a lot of kids wouldn't take it up

educate not dictate

Totally agree. Have felt like migrating overseas for a while now, and this is why. The term 'nana state' used early is getting quite accurate for NZ.

Know a guy who got a ticket for doing 52 in a 50 zone a month ago (yeah thats legal if you missed that one when it came through).

My fathers office couldn't have an air con unit fitted to their factory because one person could see it from their house and didn't like it (guess it blocked the view of the factory window) (thanks resource consents act).

Just two recent examples of how pathetic things are.

Totally agree. Have felt like migrating overseas for a while now, and this is why. The term 'nana state' used early is getting quite accurate for NZ.

And where will you go? Most everywhere is just as bad. Maybe Nigeria isn't, you could also try somewhere like Kazakhstan...

Its fairly simple - smoking is very bad for an individual's health and society in general. There are no positive aspects of smoking, unless you count 'looking cool', which was the image tobacco companies sold to the weak-minded. It should be banned, completely, everywhere - and for those current smokers - tough luck - time to grow up and actually be cool instead of believing holding a cigarette does that for you.

Its fairly simple - smoking is very bad for an individual's health and society in general. There are no positive aspects of smoking, unless you count 'looking cool', which was the image tobacco companies sold to the weak-minded. It should be banned, completely, everywhere - and for those current smokers - tough luck - time to grow up and actually be cool instead of believing holding a cigarette does that for you.

Yes there is, smokers enjoy it. That's like banning car racing because you might get hurt, or banning marathons because an old lady got tripped up once. If anything they should be looking at ways to make smoking less addictive, so it could be enjoyed without being a dependancy.

How about alcohol, chocolate, mcdonalds? :roll:

Hey, lets make it compulsery to all wear heart rate monitors linked to a national monitoring system so if we don't do the required amount of exercise per week we get fined/punished. While we're at it we'll abolish supermarkets and instead a taxpayer funded dietitian will come up with an appropriate meal plan based on your age and weight and you will have a food parcel delivered to your house every week containing a selection of grains, fruit, vegetables and lean meat.