CONTROVERSIAL TOPIC

goldfish

you will all know by now there is a total smoking ban in public places in the UK.do you have one in NZ if so i would like to hear your comments from smokers and none smokers.Alike AS a smoker myself Iwould never advise anyone to do the same I Noticed that people from many other parts of the world also use this forum .So lets have your comments as well please many THANKS :roll:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know there is a total ban on eating establishments, work places and bars.

As a none smoker I like the fact that were I go and have dinner does not stink of smoke and where I like to have a beer also. I must admit that some bars smelt better when they allowed smoking :) They stink of wet carpet and god only know what.

it should also include no smoking in cars

I agree.

I lived in Ireland when the ban came into place, the first country in Europe to impose it, and it is FANTASTIC.

Why would anyone one want to breath in the toxic fumes from someone else's revolting cancer-stick habit. I would rather stand on the motorway and breath in petrol fumes. At least cars are useful, get us from A to B, and you don't look like a loser driving one.

:roll: Smoking.

Although I can't stand the smell, IMO if the government aren't going to outlaw it then they have no right to tell people where and when they can smoke. It should be up to businesses to decide their own policies based on what their customers want.

More control from the nanny state = :evil:

I'm with you. The government wants it both ways, making it hard on smokers but still collecting the tax. I smoked for 20 years, stopped Feb of this year. I think that the Government should either butt out or only chemists should be allowed to sell them with a doctors prescription confirming your an addict. The constant tax increases are stupid, they just make smokers poorer, causing them more stress, inceasing the amount they smoke.

I believe that the government here has got it wrong.

They should ban smoking on public places

It is our choice to go into a bar that is filled with smoke or not.

we don't have a say in public areas. :roll:

As one who loathes cigarette smoke, and married to an asthmatic, I appreciate we can now enjoy evenings in restaurants and bars without our health being severely affected (we gave up going out at one point as it so often meant we had to leave early as Grant, literally, couldn't breathe because of the smoke).

I also think if a bar or restaurant chooses to set up a room specifically for smokers they should be allowed to.

In Ye Olde Dayes they had separate smoking rooms everywhere.

My pet hate is why do smokers think it is acceptable to stub out, or throw, their butts anywhere they like?

I am an ex smoker... well actually I was an off and on smoker over the years, not constant. I actually recently purchased some cigarettes as I thought I felt like one...... and I tell ya I will not be purchasing another packet, it did me good to purchase a packet tho after being a non smoker for so long and to realise just how hideous the habit is and I am certainly not missing out on much :evil: :evil: I certainly am not missing out on anything being a non smoker, I feel so much better for it. I am so pleased that restaurants etc are smoke free now, as I can truely understand how irritating it would have been for people who have never smoked, after being a past smoker I can look from both sides of the fence... and yeap so public places and restaurants etc should be smoke free... 8)

I gave up originally before I got pregnant, as I do not believe that any person should smoke while pregnant, it's disgusting, there is nothing worse than seeing a pregnant woman puffing on the end of a fag :-? :-? That is a major pet hate of mine. After my son was born.. at one stage I took the habit up again when my dad died, but soon booted that in the butt again...

It takes will power to give up... not those silly patches that people rely on because they are not strong enough within to quit.

JMO 8)

It takes will power to give up... not those silly patches that people rely on because they are not strong enough within to quit.

I have boxes of them sitting in my cupboard, used them for a day then forgot to put the next days one on and realised they didn't do jack.

What gets me is the constant reminders every where, I think smokers know now that they can't smoke on plane's. I think non-smokers just love to rub it in. When they banned smacking did they put signs up everywhere, "smack free building" ?? "Welcome to flight acb123, this is a non-smacking flight..." :lol:

I'm glad smoking is banned in shops, offices, bars and restaurants. I don't think it is up to an employer to decide whether their employees should be exposed to second-hand smoke. We should all be free to go to work (including those who work in bars) and not be forced to breathe in other people's smoke.

Pregnant women should also be able to go to work and not breathe in substances that are known to be poisonous to their baby.

As for the argument that it's the nanny state controlling us - actually to me it's the opposite. It's about people being given more choices and more control over whether they are exposed to cigarette fumes or not.

I have boxes of them sitting in my cupboard, used them for a day then forgot to put the next days one on and realised they didn't do jack.

What gets me is the constant reminders every where, I think smokers know now that they can't smoke on plane's. I think non-smokers just love to rub it in. When they banned smacking did they put signs up everywhere, "smack free building" ?? "Welcome to flight acb123, this is a non-smacking flight..." :lol:

Oh you just reminded me about the 'old days' when you could choose to sit in the smoking or non-smoking section of a plane. Crazy stuff! Did they really think the smoke was going to stay in one part of the cabin?! Flying used to be a nightmare and I would get off a plane feeling physically sick after breathing toxic fumes all the way.

The same with smoking or non-smoking sections in a restaurant. If the people at the neighbouring table finished their meal before you, they would all light up and ruin the rest of your meal!

Ah yes, those were the good old days where I would go to a bar, then as soon as I came in the door at home I would strip off, throw all my clothes in the washing machine and have a shower and wash my hair to get the smell out. If I was wearing a coat, I would hang it out on the back porch to air rather than bring it inside.

Thank goodness those days are over.

As for the argument that it's the nanny state controlling us - actually to me it's the opposite. It's about people being given more choices and more control over whether they are exposed to cigarette fumes or not.

How is banning it from buildings giving you control if you DO want to smoke?? You cannot smoke in a building therefore you have NO control over whether you are exposed, you just aren't. Don't get me wrong, I remember the days of working in an office full of smoke and it was crap even for a smoker.

When they first started banning smoking it used to be than you could have smoking rooms and you could smoke in the work place if EVERY ONE agreed, we had one older lady that didn't want smoking so it stopped, fair enough, we couldn't even smoke on night shift hours after she had gone in case she could still smell it in the morning. But when they blanket banned it from buildings it became a nanny state and stupid, we had a smokers room, in the basement, 3-4 doors between it and any living thing, it was a disgusting stinky place but at least you could sit and work while you smoked, it didn't hurt anyone accept the smokers that chose to be in there and you didn't have to stand on the street making the place look bad and catching colds from the rain.

I'm glad smoking is banned in shops, offices, bars and restaurants. I don't think it is up to an employer to decide whether their employees should be exposed to second-hand smoke. We should all be free to go to work (including those who work in bars) and not be forced to breathe in other people's smoke.

Its not up to the employer to decide if their staff are exposed to it, its up to the staff who decide to work there! What ever happened to personal responsibility? No one is 'forced' to breathe in other peoples smoke, it all comes down to personal choice.

Its funny how there is such a vocal bunch of anti-smoking people now, yet when someone tried to set up a smoke-free bar before they introduced the ban it ended up going under!

I agree DavidR... it does come down to personal responsibility and if people don't want to have to be exposed to cigarette smoke at a work place ie outside lunch area... then they shouldn't put themself in that position... what I couldn't stand when I did used to be a smoker, was sitting outside with a group of people (smokers) and a anti smoker would come along to chat... standing around and then have to make a comment about stinky smoke or show displeasure... easy answer, exit stage left, you don't have to hang around when people are on their break outside having a cigarette... :roll:

Even tho I am not a smoker now... I don't mind personally being around someone having a cigarette outside... I don't judge them for their habit... however, always think they better off without the nasty things :lol:

I am a Kiwi living in Ireland after a stint in the UK.I'm a non-smoker.I worked in a bar in Scotland for several years and hated waking up in the morning after a shift,my eyes would be dry and sore,a direct result of the smoke.I think Ireland was one of the 1st to bring in the ban,and I was delighted,I wouldn't begrudge anybody a cigarette,but it has been so much more enjoyable going to the pub since it came in.I was often in UK pubs after the ban came in here,and was nearly gagging with the smoke,had to go out for fresh air.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

i used to be a smoker but the cost of supplying myself and alot of the time others as well to the point i was buying two 50g a week it got really expensive and it also took a toll on me mentally if i didn't have a ciggy and couldn't bum one of any one i would go nuts at the time i was also buying and supplying for younger family members so when i quit i also stopped supplying and buying ciggys for any one under 18 my parents have been long time smokers since they were youngsters and there health is terrible all my bothers and my sister have been smokers since they were young and funny enough we all got each other into smoking now we try and tell each other to quit to date quitting was one of the hardest thing I've had to do but also one the most rewarding

Okay. I'm a smoker :roll: I've given up on a number times and will again, and again, and again.......

For myself, it's a mental thing. When I went over to Oz last year, I threw out my lighter, papers, everything at the airport and went a month without. Of course, over there it was easy because I wasn't in my usual daily routine and when you walk into a shop, the ciggies aren't behind the counter and easily seen. I think I walked around for the first week going "Crap. Where are the smokes when you want one?".

Getting back to NZ different. Each time I walked into a dairy, petrol-station, supermarket etc, there were the ciggies. I caved after the second week, putting it down to having a smoker in the house and 'stress'. As I said, it's a mental thing.

I completely agree with having businesses, restaurants etc,. smokefree and I even have smoking ONLY outside at home. The new pictures on the packets are there as a reminder of what could happen to us smokers but in all reality, the images have already faded in my eyes and I just think "That's too bad for that person...."

Don't get on my back about smoking. Everybody makes their own choices and I understand how important it is to be smoke free. Well done to everyone who has managed to give up! My father smoked for 46 years, approx 120grams a week and gave up cold turkey. There is still hope for me, but until my head is in the right place, (not an excuse!) I will keep on puffing. :wink:

Its not up to the employer to decide if their staff are exposed to it, its up to the staff who decide to work there! What ever happened to personal responsibility? No one is 'forced' to breathe in other peoples smoke, it all comes down to personal choice.

Its funny how there is such a vocal bunch of anti-smoking people now, yet when someone tried to set up a smoke-free bar before they introduced the ban it ended up going under!

So if I choose to go for a poo at work, why do I have to do it in the toilet? Can't I just do it in a corner? It is perfectly natural. Sure it'll smell but so does smoking. I think I will start doing this and if people don't want to come to work any more because of the smell that is their choice.

So if I choose to go for a poo at work, why do I have to do it in the toilet? Can't I just do it in a corner? It is perfectly natural. Sure it'll smell but so does smoking. I think I will start doing this and if people don't want to come to work any more because of the smell that is their choice.

hmmmm perfectly natural to "poo" in the corner of your work place, as long as you bring your own pooper scooper TTK

:o

Id still rather be around smokers :lol:

im a smoker i still try to give up. i have heard of numerous attempts to get around the law i know of a few workplaces(note 99 percent of clients, visitors and workers here smoked) and small organisations that registered as maraes to get around this law. another place i know knocked a wall down (a building is only classified as a building under this act if it has 3 or more walls and a roof ) so immagine an open bayed huge shed built with stell i beams they pulled some iron off the end (which wasnt used anyway) and got around it

Okay. I'm a smoker :roll: I've given up on a number times and will again, and again, and again.......

Don't get on my back about smoking. Everybody makes their own choices and I understand how important it is to be smoke free. Well done to everyone who has managed to give up! My father smoked for 46 years, approx 120grams a week and gave up cold turkey. There is still hope for me, but until my head is in the right place, (not an excuse!) I will keep on puffing. :wink:

Similar to this my partner smokes and I do occasionally, although we all know its bad for us. It is also semi rubbed in our faces if you do decide to give up with every bus stop telling us how bad it is, its a rebelious mind set. So its not good for me but im going to do it anyways. Any yeah the pictures on the back of the smokes arent the prettiest "poor person". But aswell there are some photos that are not that bad, I hate the mouth cancer one but all the others I can deal with and are not that distrubing.

And However we do not soke inside at all cause it makes the ceiling yellow and the smell linger, I do agree with not smoking insode bars and resterants also cause its up to the indivdual and its unfair to put a non smoker into a smokers resterant.

But however like 1/2ways good said you do have to be in the right pkace to give up.