So why fish??

I am wondering (I hope this hasn't been done before or done to death and sorry if it has) why everyone got interested in fishies?

I got into fish because of the kids' show on Playhouse Disney called Stanley. Stanley has a large pet goldfish with an english accent called Dennis, who lives in a completely inadequate bowl next to his bed. Anyway, my little son wanted a fish like Dennis too and decided he liked 'blue neon tetras' as he calls them and it spiralled from there. I have now gotten two of my clients into fish too!

i met my first axolotl in intermediate we had on as a pet in class moved and forgot all about them then while i was in auckland on holiday thought id have a look at petshop and there were two baby axolotls so brought two from tm and then my newts and then my guppy's have a wish list that grows every day

after watching Finding Nemo with our kids my wife & i decided that it would be a great thing for the kids to have a snall tank. we bought an 30L complete setup off trademe. that was 2 1/2 years ago & it has developed into a mild obsession for me. :D

As a kid I remember being dragged along to doctors and dentists waiting rooms or insurance company offices etc and alot of them had a tropical fish tank to try to entertain bored kiddies. I loved them. My strongest memory is of enjoying the Neon Tetras and I still have a soft spot for them....I have a school of 40 +

As an adult I have made a habit of buying myself something frivolous for Christmas, one year it was an RC car, another year it was a nice acoustic guitar. Three years ago it was a fish tank and I've been buying fish tanks and related goodies ever since :lol:

I've turned 2 of my friends into fishkeepers and I'm constantly trying to get my folks to accept a free tank from me :lol:

I was always intrigued by things that lived in water as a child. Had goldfish as a teen.

The native fish thing started through first having goldfish again, then finding them boring, then discovering native fish existed. THEN finding I had something new to research and information was frustratingly sparse.....

NEVER set me a challenge ;)

Sorry Bill but why make a post " all references to drugs removed " Why not just remove the post and make no comment ?

Because you just can't win at this never-ending task.... and there were five posts.... not one.

If I remove it and say nothing... we get endless posts asking where it has gone.... if I leave a comment... I know where I have edited... but STILL we get complaints.

Big question is.... "Why did the drug references start.... when you all know it's against the guidelines"

I don't complain being here at the early hours of the morning... (most days)... checking posts... and now having to justify making a post after my edit.

"Why did you post in the Freshwater Section about being "Logged Off"... when you knew it should be in the NZ Website Section..?"

It was moved to here...

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/08-apr ... tml#325641

Just another little silent job that was moved to the correct area.... but I didn't create a fuss and make a post about it......... until now..

Bill.

lets face it, keeping fish is cheap and breeding fish gives the chance to help make sure that certian type dont just dissappare.

Most other hobbies/sports/interests require you to come home from work and go out again where as breeding fish can be done at almost any time.

Last night I got home at about 9.30 and couldnt be bothered feeding (I feed twice a day when breeding) so I simply didnt... no harm done

Fish have to be possibly the easiest thing that can be done.

When I go away for a few days/week, I have to do nothing except go

We are all allergic to fur (Cats, rats, mice, rabbits and i will include birds too even tho i know they have feathers.) in our household.

But not dogs, we just wanted to wait till we had our own home and could afford the time and money for a dog. But we really like critters so fish it was!

I grew up in a house with fish (one of those cliche 70's tanks with neons, angels, and clown loaches) and was ocassionally allowed to get a 'special' fish of my own (almost always a 'Siamese Fighter'). I lost interest when I went to school (and after my fish died again) and then nearly 30 years later I wandered into a pet shop for a nosey where I spotted a pair of Discus...

My dad is a glazier, always had BIG tanks, he cut down to a little one, I took the 140L (now guppy tank) home (live with Mum) wanted some-thing "cool" for friends to look at, hmm.... a year later and um BIGGER and MORE tanks... :-? 8) Finally a hobby I enjoy! :bow:

Not to mention the amount of people I have hooked!

hmm, ive always liked fish, for as far as i can remember. my parents showed me pictures of my as a 1yr old baby sitting my the pond staring. and as a kid, when all the kids are playing in the mud and stuff, i was always out in the river with a net trying to catch something...

then i sorta grew out f it during my mod teens, then mother got some guppies, an the interest flared up again. had argument with her about what fish should be kept and how they should be kept. couldnt settle the problem, so i got my own...

I got into fish because my boyfriend has a fish tank and after going along to the fish shop with him I got hooked.

Now he complains that I talk too much about fish and the fact I'm constantly wanting to buy more fish and tanks!