Do you EAT fish?

Stella

I am always hearing people ask if I eat fish. They seem the think because I keep them as pets I would not eat them.

Well I do, I love fish! But I try to learn what is more appropriate off sustainable fish guide, and I refuse to eat whitebait (juvenile native fish) on conservation grounds.

Anyone here not eat fish because they keep them as pets? Not eat certain fish?

I will eat whitebait. I think that there is a small season on it, it is sustainable, at least for now.

I will only eat it if it has been caught recreationally. I don't like the idea of commercially fishing. For example Orange Roughy don't reach sexual maturity for 20-30 years. And they are commercially fished en masse.

Personally I am against game fishing if it is catch and release. Putting fish through all that stress for personal gratification. Each to their own though, I don't force my opinion onto others who like fishing for sport.

too rite

I enjoy fishing and especially game fishing.

Vinson

99% of game fishing fights are over in well under 30 minutes and the marlin swim away with no problems and what is so addictive is that you get so few. I know that American programs show them as hours long in the fight but thats not how most of it is done. I respect your view but disagree.

Whitebait is with out a doupt, my favorite food... sorry, I seem to be disagreeing again

Interesting that people hold Marlin (?) in such high regards.

A trusty old snapper is a far more cunning fish that a marlin.

Marlin have been caught on anything from bananas to hunks of rope and pieces of wood.

Snapper are far brighter than that I can tell you

I prefer the idea of people hunting and fishing for THEIR OWN food, not for sport of to sell for obscene sums (whitebait are our most expensive fish).

I find it quite disgusting the idea of 'sport' fishing where light tackle is used so the 'play' happens for as long as possible (so the fish doesn't break the line) to tire the fish before bringing it in. No excuse. Imagine if deer hunting involved a number of non-fatal hits over a period of time before finally killing it?

VinsonMassif: how is 'sustainable, at least for now' sustainable?

At least it is carefully timed so it hits the peak of the most common galaxiid species run, not the other species. I would like to see commercial whitebaiting better regulated or banned. That would make it properly sustainable and people could still get food for themselves.

At the moment anyone can catch and sell whitebait. Given the way people fish for them, they often sitting in a bucket outside for many hours at a time, it is a wonder it isn't a public health nightmare...

I guess I do my own form of catch-and-release. What we did this weekend as a big group catching native fish. Ok so we use nets not hooks, so the fish are undamaged, but it is stressful sitting in a bucket... I do try to be as ethical as possible and release them as quickly as possible.

It is nice to see all the different opinions and practise of the wonderful quote "I disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it" :)

I love fish, but i hate preparing it, ie fileting and cleaning.

In fact i just got home from a day at the beach with a reasonable snapper. yum dinner tomorrow.

Other than snapper and gurnard, everything else i catch goes back.

I love fishing for the time out and are just as happy not catching a fish all day.

Whitebait is ok, but i definately wouldnt pay the price it sells for, so unless i catch it, well i dont eat it. And i dont own a net, so i dont catch much at all.

In fact i just got home from a day at the beach with a reasonable snapper. yum dinner tomorrow.

We have been out with the longline yesterday (southbeach) and today (karaka st) and only caught a kahawai [sp?] Good fun but.

Enough for hubby's dinner tho, as i dont like the taste of fish. But i love fishing.

Sustainable for now - well anything might happen in the future. There habitat might become compromised so they spawn less. It could become severely polluted. Global climate change may affect the temperature so they breed less. I was merely thinking about possibilities that may come to pass that would mean the current quota etc. will not be viewed as sustainable any longer.

I am not a fish lover, never have been.

I don't buy except haddock in batter occasionally. I will eat haddock and halibut if someone cooks it but wouldn't bother buying for myself. Probably the only fish that I can say I acutally tasted and HATED was salmon. Do not like trout either, tried smelt when I was a teen, last time I ate them. My mother used to make codfish fishcakes when I was growing up...YUCK HATED THEM TOO! Just not a big fan of fish!

Now shellfish, mmm love lobster nice and hot and dipped in butter. Deep fried clams, scallops, shrimp. Tried mussels but not all that fussy for them.

Caper

Hell yea! I eat plenty of fish - I must admit I hesitated a little the first time I caught a beautiful Blue Cod off the pier on Stewart Island, but boy, with a little butter and lemon juice that tasted good! So long as you eat what you catch, I don't see a problem with it.

Love eating fresh Blue Cod can't beat it and also love other seafood. The one that really gets me is eating chicken in front of my parrots. I eat a lot less chicken now. Keeping parrots and fish has opened my eyes to how much these animals do know about what is happening to them.

Love eating fresh Blue Cod can't beat it and also love other seafood. The one that really gets me is eating chicken in front of my parrots. I eat a lot less chicken now. Keeping parrots and fish has opened my eyes to how much these animals do know about what is happening to them.

Yep, I'd have to agree that a lot of animals are far more aware than what people generally want to admit. Over in the States there is a woman with some sort of mental/personality disorder who apparently has a talent for 'reading' animals feelings, and now designs 'low stress' slaughter houses.