What are you Breeding?

Dixon1990

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
I'd like congratulate the many sucsesful breeders and to ask the people on this thread two very important question, How many of you are Club and FNZAS members and how many of you have bothered to register your breeding with the Federation ? and if not WHY NOT ? :-? :-?

How do I join?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Paul

What is the reasoning behind registering the breeding please?

Well it gets printed that you bred the species, and recorded in FNZAS history, plus you get a cert for each breeding and pins for breeding a certain number of species.

You also earn your club points which go towards breeding trophies.

The other reason is because then other people can see what is being bred and where. This helps people not only find fish from breeders, but also to identify which species aren't being bred (so they know where breedings are needed).

I've been slack myself :(

My list of recent:

- tonnes of black tuxedo guppies (at least 50)

- lots of platy (at least 50-75)

- angelfish

- given away over 50 convicts a few months ago that I'd bred a few months back

- zebra danio

- bristlenose

Adodge do you have another financial FNZAS member near you? They could verify your breeding. I am sure there will be someone in Auckland who could help :-?

It is hoped the registering of breedings will encourage more people to actually breed the fish they have and so keep many species going in NZ. With so many being banned, it is important we do not lose the ones we have.

i breed discus and white worms and brine shrimp ,the guppies just breed all by their own selves .The white worms are gone as soon as they come the bbs last even shorter the discus fry have a much better mortality rate lol :D

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, been awhile since i've been here so I thought I'd look for something to reply to, good to see everyones been busy on the fish front. I have lelupi breeding and have a batch of frontosa tumbling which should be in the grow out tank in about two weeks.

I don't know if I've posted here but I'm breeding platys, fighters, guppys am trying to be the BNs going but no luck yet and I'm getting some Australe golds that I'm going to breed.

I've had trouble breeding the platys as it's hard to tell if they're pregnant or not as their gravid spot isn't right it can be dark one day and then gone the next (well atleast its like that with the ones that have a gravid spot many of them you can't see it)

I've had trouble breeding the platys as it's hard to tell if they're pregnant or not as their gravid spot isn't right it can be dark one day and then gone the next (well atleast its like that with the ones that have a gravid spot many of them you can't see it)

Yeah gravid spot on platy doesn't really work. What I do is look at their size and more importantly their vent, it opens before they drop, usually a day ahead from what I've seen. Hard to describe but once you see it its kinda obvious.

Also I have a proven breeding pair of common bristlenose that are probably going to hutt pets on the weekend, nobody wants'em :(