Everything posted by JK
-
First loss
Bacterial infection eh. Ok well I guess now my aim is to sort out why it had it and try and get the tank back into a state that's not going to cause this. Should I be looking to continue with big water changes or is there some other plan of attack? Just came back to me now but notice they were off there food the other day and a couple of uneaten bits that made it to the bottom seemed to get a fluffy type look to them pretty quickly (less than 24 hours). I removed these bits when i changed some water but doesnt seem right for that to happen so quickly.
-
First loss
And woke this morning to find both hatchets dead on the bottom as well as one of the neons Bristlenose appears fine, other neons looks ok but i dont think 100% Did another check of temp - 27, ph 6.9-7, amonia, nitrates and nitrites all 0 or very close to it Hmmmmm :-?
-
First loss
Hmmmm just got home from antenatal and the hatchets not looking too hot. Was having a wee lie down when we got it but seems to be up and around (just) at the moment
-
First loss
hard to get a decent pic but heres one of the hatchets Should be able to see the white tinges around the fins
-
First loss
Yeah totally understand mate....I haven't even seen it either. Going to head home shortly and scope it out. Will get some water ready for a change to age overnight and take it from there. Did a quick search around and also saw melafix which i hadnt heard of before either.
-
First loss
malachite green you say? might check that one out
-
First loss
Cheers - will check it all out tonight when i get home. I think i used to use Meth blue many years ago. Is that still an option?
-
First loss
Well funny you should say that..... wife just rang me at work and said one of the other neons looks a bit 'fuzzy' and swimming funny and also a slight whitish tinge on one of the hatchets fins.....arghhhh sounds like either whitespot or some fin fungus but keeen to hear others ideas. Did a 15% water change on the weekend and all levels seem ok, ph was a bit high at 7.0 but all others coming up at 0 (ie nitrate, nitrite, amonia). Temp still at 27
-
First loss
Yeah not too phased by it as its only 1 poxy neon but just wondering what checks people do go through. Have kept fish for about 15 years now but since ive only got back into it recently I'm keen to learn a bit more again. In terms of my readings, temp is 27, ph 6.8, amonia, nitrate, nitrites all 0. I take readings once a week prior to doing water changes and dont see alot of changes to the above.
-
First loss
Well after about 6 weeks of having my new tank setup I've lost a fish. Noticed a neon dead in the tank this evening and it looked pretty recent - maybe in the last hour or 2. Just wondering what process (if any) you go through when you have a loss to work out possible causes? I've done a quick check of Ph, amonia, nitrate, nitrite, temp etc and all seems fine. Did a 10% water change on weds (2 days ago) and do them weekly. At the moment I have 9 neons, 2 bristlenose and 2 silver hatchets. Everyone seems to get on ok and the dead neon didnt seem to have any external damage.
-
getting rid of snails
I introduced clown loaches in my last tank and they consumed all the snails pretty quick smart. What about the old horse faced loach? do they consume snails??
-
Digital Photo Frame
I picked up a few in the UK for about 30-40quid each and they aren't bad at all. Made great gifts plus kept a couple for ourself, a 6 and an 8inch one. Never had any issues with them but heard from many people who have purchased the cheapies and had poor image quality ie stretches, pixelated etc. Just be careful when buying and see if you can see the images on them first
-
Neons,in schools???
I went with just 2 neons for the first week and then a couple of bristlenose last week and another 6 neons this week so now have a bit of a school happening. Next.....something for the top of the tank i think
-
JKs tank - updated 20/10/09 - new pics
They are real characters alright, one keeps trying to swim up inside the filter lol Been feeding them some tabs with algae and spirulina in them plus them seem to love the wood. Will try some fresh greens tonight
-
JKs tank - updated 20/10/09 - new pics
Got a couple of bristlenose today from my LFS. They are about 4cm and seem to be enjoying their new home
-
Big Day Out anyone?
Thought about it but a day out gamefishing sounds more enticing!
-
Who has the most boring job?
yep lol Well I donit actually audit them myself but my staff do. So I'm the boss of those that audit the box maker :lol:
-
Who has the most boring job?
I audit the boxmakers....
-
Caravanning in Northland - any ideas
Would second Tauranga Bay. Also it's hard to beat the Far North. Places like Spirits Bay, Cape Reinga, Taputupotu Bay,Rawara etc. Really remote places with gravel roads etc but fine for caravans etc. Great fishing too! Spirits and Taputupotu both have camp sites with running water etc but watch out for the mozzies over summer!!Alternativly Waitiki Landing has a few more facilities. Further south, the area around Mongunui/Doubtless Bay and Coopers Beach and Cable Bay are also great possies. A good website to use for doc sites is http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/ByRegi ... x?id=37039
-
JKs tank - updated 20/10/09 - new pics
Well thanks Caper! Always good to get positive comments!
-
JKs tank - updated 20/10/09 - new pics
As I said, shes pretty basic at the mo
-
Gmail problems
go Tools ---> Internet Options ---> and then do 1) Delete Cookies, 2) Delete Files, 3) Clear History,
-
Gmail problems
Dont do anything as drastic as that. I'd be inclined to clear out your cache and delete all the temporary internet files, reboot and give it another go.
-
JKs tank - updated 20/10/09 - new pics
Will do Caper. It's looking pretty basic at the moment. Only has a couple of rocks, some driftwood and a few plants plus a couple of neons getting it all going.
-
Which of the following are NOT compatable with Blue Rams?
Sounds good to me too. I'm establishing a tank at the moment that will also contain Blue Rams along with Neons, Rummy Nose, Bristlenose, Hatchets, Corys and Rainbows. Hopefully they are all compatible! The wife wants Bumble Bee Gobies in there too but I am not so sure :-?