Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ira

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ira

  1. Ira replied to splendidus's topic in Saltwater
    I'd be perfectly happy to pay even 3 times the cost of nuclear fuel to power my tank. Last time I did the math that would cost me about $30/mo.
  2. Ira replied to Ira's topic in Saltwater
    No, didn't plug the holes. But there was no problem for well over a week after I drilled the extra holes in the spray bar(Which I'm considering plugging up anyway as it seems to have dropped the flow velocity...Nah, can't be bothered)
  3. Ira replied to Bubbles's topic in Technical
    You'll need to get something like this if you want to drown her out...
  4. Ira replied to Ira's topic in Saltwater
    *Sits and scratches head* I put everything back the way it was before I started fiddling with it because it was surging...Now it's working fine... Sometimes it pisses me off when things work correctly... :lol:
  5. Ira replied to Ira's topic in Saltwater
    Seriously considering it... Or maybe a hybrid with just a valve at the base of the overflow pipe in the sump and seal everything up at the top.
  6. Ira replied to Ira's topic in Saltwater
    I've adjusted it so it's flowing more air and it still surges. I've adjusted it for less air and it still surges. I've turned the valve on the outlet of the pump down so it's pumping similar or less than it was before and it still surges. I've even cleared everything out from around the bottom of the overflow pipe in the sump thinking maybe for some reason it was restricting the overflow a little and causing the problem. Nope didn't change anything. I'm just about to try taping around the lid on top of the standpipe in case for some reason it's developed an intermittent air leak.
  7. Ira replied to Bubbles's topic in Technical
    They seem to quiet down a little with a little bit of backpressure too. You could always try something like an Iwaki or a Sequence pump. They're only about 4 times as much money for the Iwaki or 3 times for the Sequence.
  8. Ira posted a topic in Saltwater
    Stupid durso has decided, for no apparent reason, that it doesn't want to keep a constant water level. I just noticed it yesterday, don't know how long before that it started, doubt it was more than a few days. I haven't changed a thing in that time. It happily drains away then for no reason that I can see it seems to lose the partial siphon and almost totally stop draining water into the sump. It's not sucking the water too low in the overflow box and sucking air in that I can see. :roll: I've spent ages adjusting it. Can't get it stable. ONly change I've made in the last few weeks is I drilled a few more holes in the DIY spraybar I have on the return pump. That obviously should have increased the flow a bit, but even slowing the flow back down doesn't seem to make a difference. Stupid PVC tube, WORK RIGHT D*#$IT!
  9. Ira replied to slash's topic in Beginners Corner
    Legality of keeping them isn't the problem. It's just that they've never(I assume) been imported and aren't on the allowed list so never will be.
  10. Ira replied to Bubbles's topic in Technical
    Sounds like maybe you need to replace the impeller.
  11. If it's a lux meter then your question isn't really relevant. They don't read a certain frequency or kelvin. It's a reading of the entire visible spectrum weighted to match the frequency response of the human eye.
  12. Ira replied to Caryl's topic in Freshwater
    How do they differently eat plants? Do ramshorns chew them up and apple snails absorb them by osmosis?
  13. It depends what the shape and type of tank is. But Metal Halides are by far the best if you want to grow plants.
  14. Bought, Homemade CF, MH and T8s.
  15. Best way to get rid of them is to stop overfeeding and keep the tank clean. In your case, I'd probably go a bit more drastic and sterilize and cycle the tank they're in again. They're not going to hurt anything older than extremely young fry. I'd say they're only vulnerable for the first few days, maybe a week.
  16. Ira replied to Jammos's topic in Saltwater
    The type of anemone is important for how much it moves, where it likes to be, etc.
  17. Ira replied to JDM's topic in Saltwater
    Or don't bug bomb the house and just get a spray bottle of no spiders and a roll of paper towels to kill any spiders that happen to come in and be bad houseguests.
  18. Most of the blurring is from the movement of the fish, not movement of the camera.
  19. Generally around a buck per liter, depending. Call him and ask. I've got a 10mm glass 200L including steelframed woodclad stand that was $500. I had my sump made with 6mm glass, 220 something liters and it was just a bit over $100.
  20. Ira replied to chimera's topic in Saltwater
    Or it'll get shrinkage and disappear.
  21. Are those pictures using the same iso, aperature and shutter? Judging from the massive blurring of the brighter "after" picture compared to very little blurring of the darker "Before" picture, I'd say at the very least the brighter one has a much longer shutter which seriously skews the comparison of brightness in the picture.
  22. Ira replied to tel's topic in Saltwater
    Even the bristleworms get eaten... Heh, Fed one to my anemone monday when I found one after moving a rock. Seemed to enjoy it.
  23. Sounds like a good idea. Then you can have any kids that see your tank run up to it and bang on the glass while yelling NEEEEEEMMOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
  24. Safety features? What safety features?
  25. Ira replied to tel's topic in Saltwater
    I wish I had some. Not exactly something you easily in the shops here in Wellington.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.