Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ira

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ira

  1. In sump means there's a sump and you put the skimmer IN it.
  2. Bugger, I've got mine set up wrong...
  3. It'd be easy enough to put a valve on the bottom of the overflow into the refugium. Or a T.
  4. I don't think it matters much if you have the same flow down each overflow. All that matters is that the flow into the tank equals the flow out of the tank. But that's what overflows do automatically.
  5. Ira replied to TimTam22's topic in Saltwater
    Wow, your excellent description and large number of details help so much! Hehe...Figure out what skimmer it is or post a picture, maybe we can help.
  6. Ira replied to christian's topic in Freshwater
    That's what it's SUPPOSED to do, Alan. But if it was big enough to cause a problem, you used too much. You only want a small bacterial bloom.
  7. Ira replied to ghostface's topic in Saltwater
    Now the guy just needs to find a giant peanut butter fish!
  8. It'd be kind of a novelty, I think. If I had a couple mollies I'd probably give it a try.
  9. Ira replied to nor_wester's topic in Technical
    It doesn't matter if the sand is from freshwater or saltwater. The tiny traces of salt in the sand probably wouldn't even make a measurable difference in the salinity of the tank and would be gone after you give the sand a rinse anyway. And unless there's heaps of shells in the sand it won't effect the PH either. And to have enough shells in the sand to make a big difference in the PH it would be more like extra chunky sand.
  10. Should be. Lamp Specialists has them I'm pretty sure. Electrical supply places that stock lighting should. Probably could get them at Switched on pot gardener too.
  11. Get a metal halide. They're much better.
  12. Ira replied to lorrainel's topic in Technical
    Easiest way is to leave the cannister empty, put the inlet hose in the tank, suck on the outlet house until it starts siphoning into the cannister then connect everything back up and turn on the power. If it still doesn't go, disconnect the outlet house and have it siphon through the cannister into a bucket for a few liters.
  13. I don't think there's much you can do. Redtailed sharks, once they mature a bit, get extremely aggressive and territorial.
  14. Ira replied to fishboi's topic in Freshwater
    I haven't noticed much glowing in the kitchen with my blacklight torch. I have noticed Bridget's aromatherapy oils glow, and so does the stain used on my doors.
  15. Ira replied to reef's topic in Saltwater
    No, that means they're not taken from the wild.
  16. Ira replied to reef's topic in Saltwater
    Let's see... For fish and shrimp I've bought,not counting glass shrimp and snails from the ocean 5 dead, 5 surviving. 50% survival rate Corals bought, not counting frags 9 dead, 1 surviving(My H Crispa) 10% survival rate So...I think I'll just be buying frags from now on as far as corals go.
  17. Ira replied to fishboi's topic in Freshwater
    Black light and UV light are not two different things, Both are UV, just black lights or UV torches(I have one, it's cool) put out UV-A which is harmless. UV-B is higher frequency and is most of what gives tans and UV-C is really nasty. Used in UV sterilizers, Flouro lights and MHs produce UV-C. But in fluoros it's blocked by the coating of the tube which then fluoresces and gives off the light you want and in MHs by the cover glass. Of course, it's not a sharp cutoff between the 3 types, so high end UV-A would be similar to low end UV-B... Either way, a blacklight isn't going to do any damage to your fish.
  18. Ira replied to fishboi's topic in Freshwater
    Ooh...I'll take 6 red and 6 blue please. And can I have a glow in the dark redspot pleco please?
  19. Ira replied to Tom_Shannon's topic in Saltwater
    Waste of time, imo, like Suphew says. Once the tank is cycled something has to go massively wrong for you to have ammonia or Nitrite. And you're better off putting the money elsewhere. Like a couple frags or some more liverock.
  20. You must have used WAY too much. You only need a little, the little white blobs you get after using it are just precipitated calcium, I think. Not Sodium hydroxide and are relatively harmless from what I've seen. Certainly didn't hurt any of my corals. And all the sodium should dissolve in a minute or two if you don't use too much.
  21. I've had my tank of gouramis and my tank of bristlenoses regularly drop to 20 degrees and go over 30 degrees during water changes and, despite my best efforts, it's never killed any that I noticed.
  22. Ira replied to Tsarmina's topic in Freshwater
    Talk to Dark.
  23. Ira replied to KP's topic in Saltwater
    And they can't get into the whole, "Mine's bigger than yours!" thing some guys around here get so caught up in.
  24. If you're being charged $.40 per kw/hr it's time to change power companies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.