Tell me a wee bit about yourself

debs01

Right for all you lurkers, stop being shy and add a bit about yourself.

I guess that means me 8) .

Name: Linda

Sex: Yes

Book: Reading at the moment The Reckoning by Patricia Tyrrell and The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants as going to see the movie next week with my girl. All time fav book would probably be Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follet.

Hobbies: Love to read, cook, movies, go to the beach except in the height of summer when its too hot with too many people, and waste time watching my fish.

Family: Michael - 15, Sophie - 13, Hubby 40 something and Mike the Border

Other pets: Leo the Cockatiel, two mice, canaries, quails and cordon bleur finches.

Car: Toyota Corolla

Favourite food: Pizza, Roast Lamb, Butter Chicken, and so many others

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name: Shelley

Sex: if and when at all possible

Married with 3 kids (Sarah, 17, Maree (the fish lover) 15, and Ben, 12 who is handicapped and a little darling but has sooooooo much energy!)

Live on a farm, but this is about to change....we will be moving any time from immediately to just prior to Christmas, not sure when, not sure where.

Job..... isn't being a mum enough?

Car. Holden Commodore Stationwagon (for all the kids crap and loads of groceries)

Hobbies. FISH

Favourite food...NOT fish! (unless it is battered, deep fried and wrapped in newspaper).....probably favourite food would be roast pork with roast spuds and pumpkin and gravy and crackling and and and and *drools*

pavlova is pretty good too.

Pets: Bella (snooty cat with a dodgy bladder (after playing dodgeems with cars and coming off second best) she is grey and white and a fantastic hunter, but only has partial feeling in her tail after her brush with death...and her tail always lies straight up her back which looks very rude!

Muffin (ridiculously timid but beautiful fluffy tabby cat)

and.....quite a few fish

we used to have pigs too (but...I like pork...and...well...you know...one thing lead to another....) actually pigs are the coolest animals on earth, you can have a really meaningful conversation with a pig...and when they get past the cute stage you can put them in the freezer!

Favourite book....uuuummmm....someone here said they liked Bryce Courtenay's "The power of one" someone else said they like Derek Hansens books...Courtenays The power of one is undoubtedly his best work. I like hansens other work better than the 'lunch' series (as they are so incredibly intricate....my favourite of his was called Sole Survivor and I also enjoyed Blockade....

Love gardening and fishie books...this does not mean I am a good gardener...in fact I am a lousy gardener, but I keep hoping my garden and the books will inspire me!

Favourite fishies...Corydoras!!!! They are so cute!!! especially the peppered ones. Also love my gouramis and bettas.

Name: Grant

Sex: Whats that?

Book: Any SciFi, Adventure etc But favourite is neither of these - Sole Survivor by Derek Hansen (set on Gt Barrier Island)

Hobbies: Aquariums, Kayaking, Fishing (no not in the tank!) Camping etc

Family: Happily Single, but substitute dad to a 9yr old - best of both worlds

Other pets: Nil, the fish are bad enough

Car: '95 Jeep Cherokee

Favourite food: Anything that only takes 5 min to prepare.

Hey Shelly, Thats a bit of a coincidence with the Derek Hansen book. Had my profile sitting on the comp for over an hour before hitting submit. Didn't even see your profile until afterwards. Enjoyed Blockade as well.

Name: Tim

Sex: M

Books: Koontz, Laymon,Patterson, just finished 2 Dan Brown novels The Da-Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, Both excellent

Hobbies: I work up to 80 hours a week so no time but do enjoy watching Rugby and Cricket and reading

Pets: Black and White cat (sons) Breeding pair of Shih Tzus and a Lhasa Apso (wifes) 2 Orandas and 3 lionheads (wifes) Tropicals (mine)

Family: Wife and 2 sons

Car: Ford Falcon and Isusu MU.

Name: Sean

Sex: Male

Book: John Marsden's Tomorrow Series

Car: 1990 BMW 525 & 1976 Morris Marina

Hobbies: Rugby League, Cricket, Driving

Family: 2 Parents, 2 Sisters & 1 Brother

Favourite Food: Roast Pork With LOTS Of Apple Sauce, Watermelon

Favourite Fish(s): Corys, B/N Catfish, Kuhli Loach, Bettas, Guppies, Platys.

Favourite Fish Total #'s: 7 Corys, 7 B/N Catfish, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 3 Male Bettas, 28 Guppies, 3 Platys

my turn.

Name: Becs

Work:currently working in an LFS, but hopefully not for much longer

location: Palmerston North. Am from the UK though, moved to NZ four years ago.

Car:2002 Ford Mondeo

Family: none in NZ

Pets: three dogs, two cats, fish (obviously), a tame galah (parrot) named Harry, and quite a few birds outside in aviaries. oh, and one mini rex bunny.

Favourite food: um, anything i havent had to cook! have to say probably fish n chips.

Book: reading Jody Picoult's latest. one of my favourite authors, along with harlen Coben.

Hobbies: animals, horse riding, movies, reading, travelling.

and my favourite fish should be obvious from my name! love the fancy ones!

and thats me

x

Name: Fay I bet you didn't know that

Sex: I thought that was for only making kids

Love fish keeping Have 2 marine tanks 1 tropical freshwater and 2 ponds

Just purchased 2005 toyota van got it yesterday, need the van for the little store my husband Frog and I own in Port Waikato, which we have been doing for nearly 8 years hard work but love the small town life style.

2 kids 26yrs 28yrs both male living in Auckland and Whangarei with their partners no grand kids yet :(

Have a bike which I don't use :D (Frog loves his)

Have Kayak which I don't use :D (Frog loves his)

Have a big garden use to be into gardens big time, but now have to have a gardener not enough time.

Like to read but don't have time

Looking forward to our next holiday, and we just had one :D

Other pets 2 cats Buddie and Zero

Love birds lots of them out here

Name: Faran and Kim

Occupation: Blue - IT and business owner, Kim - Insurance field

Sex: I'd hope so... we're married!

Book: Blue - Currently reading Gai-Jin by James Clavell (big Clavell fan), Kim - currently tearing through the Harry Potter collection... she ran out of books in the house!

Hobbies: We're computer geeks and love our cats and our new fishies.

Family: Blue has a bunch of family in NZ, Kims familia is still in Holland.

Other pets: Gizmo and Lexie - Show winning Ragdolls

Car: Toyota Cynos (no trunk space in this one!)

Favourite food: Spaghetti Carbonara

Bella (snooty cat with a dodgy bladder (after playing dodgeems with cars

Shelley is the cat that was sick one time & you didn't know if he was going to make it?

PLECS...you're forgetting your age already and you're only in your 20's :lol: :lol:

Comment: You folks sure do read alot! I heard years ago that cars last longer in New Zealand because of the weather. Was told this by someone who was visiting son/daughter there, is it true?

all right i shall stop lurking and tell you my bit

Name: Alisha

Sex: female

Book: Cant remember the name of it but is the true story about a guy in the states who was cannoning on his own and managed to get his arm stuck under a falling rock. Very good book but blow to blow pictures should not be looked at if you have a weak stomach

Hobbies: Fishing (again not in the tanks) , cross stitch, scrapbooking, reading, shrimping for seahorses, 4WDing (partner is building a lexus powered hilux in the garage, her name is sheila and she is the other woman)

Family: yep

Other pets: cat called tadea

Car: The big yellow bus, jeep cherokee and half a hilux

Favourite food: burger fuel

Cars do last longer in NZ depending on the weather ........... weather or not we can afford a new one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And we read a lot because our cars are too old to go anywhere ............. just kidding :):):):)

Cheers

Jude

Because NZ is only a little country the cars don't have to travel so far ;)

Gee....I can't remember which cat was so sick I wasn't sure if it would live :o Bella and Tess I got from the SPCA about 3 or 4 years back as kittens.....had to pay for their de-sexing straight up which probably wasnt a bad idea. Bella had her accident with the car about 2 weeks after her op....and I thought she was a goner....Sadly Tess WAS a goner after taking on a milk tanker.....gawd....that was a mess and a half to clean up....I was so hoping it wasn't her and might have been one of the wild cats, but it just about broke my heart to find her little collar a few more metres down the road.....

a Year later and I thought Bella was lonely so went to my daughters friends house who had kittens to give away...I thought Bella would be all motherly to a new kitten!.......she is more like a bossy aunty! I couldn't chose which kitten to take and ended up taking two of them! Phoebe was/is the most beautiful kitten ever but my god she was so bloody annoying!!!!!! I ended up giving her to a couplpe of elderly spinsters who LOVE cats....and had just had to have a couple put down due to very old age and various complications....They think it is funny when Phoebe (now called Missy) jumps in the flour bin as they are baking!

So Bella is the stroppy old aunty....and Muffin is the scaredy cat. R.I.P. Tess.

Prior to them we had a cat called Trevor. Got him from the cats protection league....'they' told me he was about 5 years old.....the vet laughed and said 15 would be closer! Trev sort of developed dementia and would go walk about and get lost. He never really recovered from his last little wander and I found him dead on the lawn one day. We have quite a burial ground in our garden :(

We had a 1970 Ford Falcon for 20yrs which was our everyday car :D

Also restored a 1928 Essex that was before we had kids :D Sold it when we had kids and bought a little caravan and we went everywhere man, that how we found Port Waikato after 30yrs in Auckland.

In parts of the country for short periods yes. Usually only a few inches though. The middle of the North Island and bottom of the South Island mainly. Also on the mountains of course. We have the Southern Alps running right down the middle of our island.

Book: Cant remember the name of it but is the true story about a guy in the states who was cannoning on his own and managed to get his arm stuck under a falling rock. Very good book but blow to blow pictures should not be looked at if you have a weak stomach

Hi Alisha

This guy visited New Zealand about a year ago, and I saw an interview he did with Paul Holmes (I think). I was amazed by his story and his will to survive, pretty gruesome what he went through, and couldnt decide if I wanted to read his book or not. Amazing guy and very inspirational.

Question: Where and how does one shrimp for seahorses.

Regards

Linda

Question: Where and how does one shrimp for seahorses.

With a very small hook! :lol:

Caper,

I don't think our cars last longer - they are just older to start with! We import alot of 2nd hand cars from Japan which are normally around the 5yr old mark. All the cars I've had have been brought at about 10yrs old and ended up being trashed because of rust after 5yrs. :(

I think in your area most vehicles rust out in the chassis or underbody cause of the salt on the roads, while here its the bodies that rust because of the amount of salt in the air (majority of us Kiwi's live within 50km or 30 miles of the sea).

About our roads: You may hear kiwi's refering to "metal" roads. No they aren't made of steel, rather this term is used to describe gravel roads (unpaved).