Earthquake

Caryl

Public Id: 2013p537512

NZST: Friday, July 19 2013 at 9:06:39 am

Intensity: severe

Depth: 8 km

Magnitude: 5.7

Good wallop felt here. Water in the tank didn't slosh out though as it was such a sudden jolt, not a rolling motion. Items have fallen off shelves but nothing major reported so far (that I have heard)

It was a beauty! My office is on the top floor of our building (only 9 levels but still lots of rolling and shaking). Was interesting watching the windows shake of the building across the road....then I got told off for not going under my desk, but pfft, I'd miss it all if hiding away!

Stupid 6.5 splashed my drink out of the glass all over the desk and then killed the power. Fish tank didn't splash out though.

I like how the ticker on the TV says Wellington Quake... unless they mean this little 4.0 http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/2013p543901 <- edit well one map places that quake in the harbour, but the page for it places it 45 km south-east of Seddon. I now don't know if I should believe any thing geonet say...

I like how the ticker on the TV says Wellington Quake... unless they mean this little 4.0 http://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/2013p543901 <- edit well one map places that quake in the harbour, but the page for it places it 45 km south-east of Seddon. I now don't know if I should believe any thing geonet say...

I think you should believe Geonet before the news, they're not the ones saying it's a wellington quake. :slfg:

Its a bit sad how we havent heard any news about Seddon or places that are closer to the quake

That's because it's the south island. They all live in mud huts and dig up roots to eat down there. They don't have any kind of communication devices.