Maori Water rights

aotealotl

I just want you to read that post back to yourself, take a minute to let it all in and ask yourself if it's a bit much?

This type of extreme speech can spread quite easily and have some serious consequences. I think freedom of speech is great and all but calling an entire race pathetic and embarrassing is pretty much hate speech. You are allowed to be racist just probably not a good idea to express it so keenly.

Quite surprised this thread hasn't been shut down. Disgusted actually considering I have been told off for less.

Happy now its gone? Normally I would think about what I say, but its going to far especially for this day and age. I do not understand why they want everything to be their way and make us all pay for this sort of stuff. It is ridiculous.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishy11, you removed your post and then requoted it - what are you trying to achieve?

And I note that when you say 'they want everything their way' , it is a gross generalisation and is the sort of post I was meaning in my comment earlier about making opinions objective and not an attack.

Fishy11, you removed your post and then requoted it - what are you trying to achieve?

And I note that when you say 'they want everything their way' , it is a gross generalisation and is the sort of post I was meaning in my comment earlier about making opinions objective and not an attack.

Because then people can't target my opinion by quoting it. I had to quote it again so that the person who originally quoted what I said, can see that I got rid of the post. Now its up to them if they want to delete the post if they find it so bad to target me on my own opinion. Unless they do not delete it, then it does not really matter whether I reposted what i said or not because its still there. Get it?

Because then people can't target my opinion by quoting it. I had to quote it again so that the person who originally quoted what I said, can see that I got rid of the post. Now its up to them if they want to delete the post if they find it so bad to target me on my own opinion. Unless they do not delete it, then it does not really matter whether I reposted what i said or not because its still there. Get it?

posting your opinion on the internet remains to forever be quoted ad infinitum

then future readers can peruse it and pass their own judgement on the mindset of the person who originally posted it

this could become one of those "did they really say that?" moments

methinks thou should abstain from substance abuse

The original post about water rights is actually misleading. The fact that the owners can charge for the use of their lake is not a water right. A water right is issued by the Regional Council and any individual or group ( Including a maori tribe) can apply for a water right. I would therefore assume that some maori groups have been granted water rights as some pakeha groups have.

The original post about water rights is actually misleading. The fact that the owners can charge for the use of their lake is not a water right. A water right is issued by the Regional Council and any individual or group ( Including a maori tribe) can apply for a water right. I would therefore assume that some maori groups have been granted water rights as some pakeha groups have.

That is a good point alan, I know of a very large Maori (Iwi?) owned farm that has been given water rights and irrigate most of the farm

The whole thing about the Maori / New Zealander dynamic is built on Misunderstanding and deception by the government and media. It's very easy to unknowingly become racist on this issue.

I suggest reading Te Tiriti o Waitangi, in international law it's the only valid version of the treaty, once you read it, you might understand why Maori fight so much to protect what they consider theirs. http://www.waitangi-tribunal.govt.nz/tr ... lation.asp This is an english translation with some clarifications below it for better understanding.

Also people don't know the last confiscation of Maori land took place in the 1960s or 70s, and that there was a white NZ policy until a UN Human rights policy had to be put into law.

It's best just to leave the issue alone.

The whole thing about the Maori / New Zealander dynamic is built on Misunderstanding and deception by the government and media. It's very easy to unknowingly become racist on this issue.

I suggest reading Te Tiriti o Waitangi, in international law it's the only valid version of the treaty, once you read it, you might understand why Maori fight so much to protect what they consider theirs. http://www.waitangi-tribunal.govt.nz/tr ... lation.asp This is an english translation with some clarifications below it for better understanding.

Also people don't know the last confiscation of Maori land took place in the 1960s or 70s, and that there was a white NZ policy until a UN Human rights policy had to be put into law.

It's best just to leave the issue alone.

:iag:

So basically, it is probably best to do some research on something so major before you vote next.

As an adult I am actually gutted this isn't?/wasn't taught to me at school. This is my countries history it should be taught in full.

There are many things in our history that have been hushed up I think. The way we encouraged islanders to come here and do the jobs "we" didn't want to when it was high employment then blamed them when it was high unemployment, and the way we treated the Chinese up until modern times. I laughed when the government apologised in Manderin and most of the Chinese who were affected spoke Cantonese. The Maori language which is taught is that from the North Island but Ngai Tahu don't use the "h". The whole Whanganui debate would not have been a problem around my back yard. I remember years ago being shown through a battery manufacturing plant and the only white person working there was the foreman. They were all Indian and Islanders and the guy showing us through was moaning about how it was so hard to get the Indians to wear gloves and they had all been issued with leather ones.

It's not taught in schools and shouldn't be, it would be too open to teachers bias.

Although I understand where you are coming from I disagree. I think the pros would out weigh the cons here. Although argument fails because I don't know the NZ high school pass rate statistics ect, I still think that even a basic understanding of such an important part of our history would be invaluable when those students get to voting age.

I also think that if text books on the issue were made and it was part of our curriculum we would have less people blurting racism out from their own misunderstanding of the subject and in turn a greater understanding as a community.