Maori Water rights

aotealotl

I was told by my Te Pu tutor that it meant white fairy, and that the Maori race is very big on playing jokes and taking the piss. White fairy in turn now sounds like they are taking the piss out white folk. I think that comes under offensive dont you.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An understanding of our respective origins is the beginning of our present selves" (King, 1999, p11). Is it not true that we "become indigenous to New Zealand at the point where our focus of identity and commitment shifts to New Zealand, and away from our countries and cultures of origin" (King, 1999, p235). It is certainly true that in a country that has been inhabited for little more than one thousand years everyone is an immigrant or a descendant of immigrants.

"We have to remember that we are all citizens of Aotearoa, we have no other home, no other turangawaewae" (King, 1985, p177).

I have to say I agree with Godly evil on the pakeha thing - I find it offensive and would much rather be called a kiwi as that's what I am! I'm not a white stranger, white fairy, or anything else, I'm a New Zealander and would like to be treated as such.

My 2 cents on the thing is that no one group should own anything like a lake - it should be kept as public property owned by New Zealand. It's all well and good owning a peice of land with a house and a farm or buisness etc but something like a lake which has no real monitary purpose other than to charge New Zealanders to swim in it is a bit crap if you ask me.

I just don't understand why we have to be pakeha and maori and have all these seperate rules etc. In this day and age why aren't we all just New Zealanders with equal right and a governing body that owns things like lakes and doesn't feel the need to gift it to a group of people because their people once traded it for a blanket or whatever and it was unfair. New Zealand is very stuck in the past IMO. Call me ignorant but that's what I think.

A very interseting discusion. I can see some people getting very passionate about this subject. To add my own spin on this, I don't understand why everything has to be written/printed in two languages. Even my passport? Who the hell outside NZ will ever be able to read it? I've NEVER met a Maori that could read or speak Maori, but not English. Why does everything have to be printed twice? Surley this is a at a huge cost to society as a whole.

I have nothing agaist the Maori language or any other part of the culture, and in fact am quite proud to be a New Zealander when Maori is used at appropirate times. I just don't like the compulsary and 'always in your face' aspect of it.

To be honest I am sick of all the Maori's thinking they are better than everyone else. Its actually embarrassing how pathetic Maori's are and expect everything just by sitting on their butts doing nothing or complaining about everything. If you really want all your 'sacred land' go build some huts on it and shift yourselves their and leave all us kiwis alone.

I really am over them and their crap. They make New Zealand look bad and pretty much make us a third world country with the way they are going.

I just want you to read that post back to yourself, take a minute to let it all in and ask yourself if it's a bit much?

This type of extreme speech can spread quite easily and have some serious consequences. I think freedom of speech is great and all but calling an entire race pathetic and embarrassing is pretty much hate speech. You are allowed to be racist just probably not a good idea to express it so keenly.

Quite surprised this thread hasn't been shut down. Disgusted actually considering I have been told off for less.

I just want you to read that post back to yourself, take a minute to let it all in and ask yourself if it's a bit much?

This type of extreme speech can spread quite easily and have some serious consequences. I think freedom of speech is great and all but calling an entire race pathetic and embarrassing is pretty much hate speech. You are allowed to be racist just probably not a good idea to express it so keenly.

Quite surprised this thread hasn't been shut down. Disgusted actually considering I have been told off for less.

:iag: Well Said Bishop

I am finding it difficult to understand why some people are getting their undies in a twist over this.

We (non maori, pakeha, european, kiwi, the crown, the government or whatever you wish to call yourself) didn't give lake Taupo to Ngati Tuwharetoa we paid it to them in part compensation to expunge some of the guilt that our culture is good at loading us up with and to make us feel a bit better about all the wrongs that our ancesters did to Ngati Tuwharetoa. This is a win/win negotiation in which both parties ended up feeling better. We then decided we would like to use their lake and they generously decided to rent it to us for a particular function.

This seems to me akin to a "we" renting a large flash home to a group of "Them" for a wedding or some other function. In this capitalist world that we live in that seems a perfectly normal thing to do and shows some business acumen that some of us would like "them" to show so they become more like "us"

It is because some of us think about we, us, them etc that our society becomes divided but I don't think "them" becoming "us" is the answer and "they" also have some aspects in "their" culture that "we" could learn a lot from.

It is partly because "we" can recognise "them" walking down the street more easily than the kingpin of the Russian Mafia walking behind "them" that we do this.

We (non maori, pakeha, european, kiwi, the crown, the government or whatever you wish to call yourself) didn't give lake Taupo to Ngati Tuwharetoa we paid it to them in part compensation to expunge some of the guilt that our culture is good at loading us up with and to make us feel a bit better about all the wrongs that our ancesters did to Ngati Tuwharetoa. This is a win/win negotiation in which both parties ended up feeling better.

I thought the general concencus is that most people are over this, dont feel sorry as much anymore for what has happened and are now getting to the point of starting to despise the entire thing as it is felt that enough has been awarded to be fair.

Charging someone to use a lake, is PATHETIC. Its a natural thing, its not a holiday home.

:hail: Bishop

To be honest I am sick of all the Maori's thinking they are better than everyone else. Its actually embarrassing how pathetic Maori's are and expect everything just by sitting on their butts doing nothing or complaining about everything. If you really want all your 'sacred land' go build some huts on it and shift yourselves their and leave all us kiwis alone.

I really am over them and their crap. They make New Zealand look bad and pretty much make us a third world country with the way they are going.

I'm starting to feel embarrassed to be a kiwi if too many of us feel like this.

Aotealotl's original post is about the subject of water rights, but this thread is deteriorating into generalisations, racism, and overall unpleasantness.

If this thread is going to stay open then please keep your posts on the topic, opinions objective and attack-free.

Those of you with a hot head need to think before you post.

:fshi:

Where have you been? Many tribes already have water rights and they have been given by "us"and therefore "you" so how could it be a joke.

No tribes have successful claims to water. They don't own the water,in the case of lake taupo they own the lake bed, lake shore and air above the lake. Get your facts right and respect peoples opinions.

Aotealotl's original post is about the subject of water rights, but this thread is deteriorating into generalisations, racism, and overall unpleasantness.

If this thread is going to stay open then please keep your posts on the topic, opinions objective and attack-free.

Those of you with a hot head need to think before you post.

:fshi: