Hyphessobrycon pulchripinnis - Lemon tetra

0L1A0309.jpg

Nematobrycon palmeri - Emperor tetra

0L1A0268.jpg

Melanotaenia lacustris

0L1A8458.jpg

Pristella maxillaris - Pristella tetra

0L1A8717.jpg

Great pics :hail: For those of you looking for settings, just right-click and save an image. Then you can right click the saved image and see the settings under the details tab. It helps having a nice bit of kit like an EOS 5D when the ISO is cranked up to 1600 !drool:

What's your lighting situation (if you're happy to give out that info)? Any external flashes or studio lights? My camera doesn't handle such high ISOs quite so well - but even on 6400 I couldn't go above 1/100". But then again I'm on f11, are you using a telephoto rather than a macro? I don't know how I'd get so close on a macro without DOF issues on a f3.5 :nilly:

Tripod or monopod? (I'm just going to steal all your photography techniques, if that's OK :thup:)

I have a standard three foot fish tank with 2 x18 w daylight plus 2 x 55 w compact 10000 K light.

The lens I am using is a Canon EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro. If I want to take a photo of the whole fish tank I will use a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM L.

F-11 is for landscape photography not for photographing a fish tank with insufficient light.

I am always holding my camera in free hand, minimum working distance is 150 mm but I shoot from about 300 - 500 mm. That is the beauty of using a true macro lens.

I have a standard three foot fish tank with 2 x18 w daylight plus 2 x 55 w compact 10000 K light. Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM Lens.

The lens I am using is a Canon EF 100mm F2.8 L IS USM Macro. If I want to take a photo of the whole fish tank I will use a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM or Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM L.

F-11 is for landscape photography not for photographing a fish tank with insufficient light.

I am always holding my camera in free hand, minimum working distance is 150 mm but I shoot from about 300 - 500 mm. That is the beauty of using a true macro lens.

The reason why I use f11 is that there are DoF issues - I can't seem to get everything on the fish in focus - although tonight I used my external flash going into the tank which really helped to add to the lighting, meaning I could stick to low ISOs. I wouldn't usually go under f8 for macro?