cats, anyone else love them this much...

David R

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The common sense would be for the gardeners to ALSO take responsibility since they are the ones that have the issue NOT the cat owners.

So if I don't fence my dogs in and they bite your child's face off, is that my problem for not controlling my dogs, or your problem for having a child?

As for using dog control laws not being enforced thoroughly as justification for not putting in place laws to control cats, perhaps we should apply the same logic to laws governing speeding and methamphetamine...

It's both people's problems because one has hurt another, but the responsibility is shifted back to the owner of the dog if the complainant or the victim takes some kind of action, instead of what a lot of people think is the right thing to do, which is just complain.

Some people try to avoid responsibility for their own actions by saying everything is somebody elses fault.

Lets just face it, both sides of the argument is as ignorant as the other. Neither are willing to take responsibility or action to prevent/resolve the apparent issue. Lose-lose with the authorities equally weighted on both sides of the fence.

As a gardener myself, I reckon your garden must be looking pretty terrible by now anyway, can't have much time for it if you're always inside complaining about cats.

don't have time for my garden anyway, I am preparing the house for my new cat I will get on Wednesday... :spop:

Lets just face it, both sides of the argument is as ignorant as the other. Neither are willing to take responsibility or action to prevent/resolve the apparent issue. Loose-loose with the authorities equally weighted on both sides of the fence.

I guess you think woman wearing short skirts are asking for it too?

Can you give me one other example of where a person or persons property is allowed to interfere with another persons property in such a way as cats do? Even children aren't allowed to be as much of a nuisance!

Would you have a problem with me "taking responsibility and action to prevent and resolve the issue" by humanely killing said cat if I find it on my property? Because that is every bit as legal as the cats freedom to roam...

I guess you think woman wearing short skirts are asking for it too?

Can you give me one other example of where a person or persons property is allowed to interfere with another persons property in such a way as cats do? Even children aren't allowed to be as much of a nuisance!

Would you have a problem with me "taking responsibility and action to prevent and resolve the issue" by humanely killing said cat if I find it on my property? Because that is every bit as legal as the cats freedom to roam...

Oh really? Would I? Why? Is that how you think? That's such an old way of thinking, in fact that's how my Grandparents parents used to think. Catch up with the Century Granddad!!!

The difference between children and cats is that children, on the whole, depending on how good/poor their parenting is, (should) know right from wrong and cats clearly don't because they are not capable of such organized thoughts/decision making.

Sure I would have a problem (as would many here and in the general population) with your bloodshed but then again so would the SPCA and other such organizations, as you would be WILLINGLY breaking the law by harming a perceived innocent animal. It's legal to humanly kill an animal found on your property? Really? Do share and also the method and environment (urban or rural)? Does this apply to all animals and humans also???

Sure I would have a problem (as would many here and in the general population) with your bloodshed but then again so would the SPCA and other such organizations, as you would be WILLINGLY breaking the law by harming a perceived innocent animal. It's legal to humanly kill an animal found on your property?

Second to last paragraph;

http://www.3news.co.nz/Cat-killer-anger ... fault.aspx

If an animal is on my property and I kill it humanely it is legal, I guess it also applies to other animals as farmers regularly and willingly shoot roaming dogs if they're harassing stock. Sadly it doesn't seem to apply to people as you generally get in trouble using excessive force defending your property.

And there is nothing innocent about a roaming animal doing damage to another [innocent] persons property. Still waiting for a single reasonable reason why cats should be allowed to roam freely outside of their owners property....

on the whole, depending on how good/poor their parenting is, (should) know right from wrong and cats clearly don't because they are not capable of such organized thoughts/decision making.

That's why it's a responsible owner's job to keep their animals , cat, dog, horses, cows, sheep, etc under control.

It's for their own protection as much as anything, I've long lost count of the number of sheep/cows we've run over at work because they're out wandering. As Jen mentioned earlier, its the same for cats. The public crapping/spraying/fighting/terrorising is just a part of the reason they should be contained, if they're out roaming they could (and do) get run over, attacked by a dog (on the dogs property), get injured fighting other cats (feral and domestic) or possums, etc etc.

You build and keep them in a cage or get rid of the cat door and keep them in the house. If you can't I can supply you with a lizard.

so you never open your windows or doors? wouldn't containing a cat in a house be the same as putting and aro in a 4 foot tank?